Project Peace: Day of Peace June 1st

  • Pat Phillips
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2013

      We would love to have you serve alongside us at the upcoming Day of Peace!! Still looking for volunteers to serve at Le Conte and Five Creeks sites, both in Berkeley.  I'll be at the Five Creeks site.
      Pat

      image

      Day of Peace

      June 1, 2013 9am-12pm

      Join Project Peace on our next Day of Peace!
      Saturday, June 1st from 9 a.m.- 12 p.m.

      Eventbrite - Day of Peace June 1, 2013

      We are partnering with Faith Network to help encourage and inspire kids to read over the summer break. Faith Network provides free library services to underfunded public schools and offers tutoring to students.

      Please, bring any gently used or new books appropriate for elementary or middle school students to donate to Faith Network. They will distribute the books to students the last week of school.

      Berkeley Sites:

      LeConte Elementary School: We will be helping LeConte's staff and teachers with some clean up projects. Volunteers will help with organizing rooms and general campus clean up.Space is limited to 25. City: BerkeleyMAP

      Friends of Five Creeks: We are partnering with Friends of Five Creeks on a bay shoreline clean up near the Berkeley Marina at the School House Creek site. Work will include removal of invasive plants and trash clean up. Work gloves are provided, but wear closed toed shoes and dress in layers. Meet in the parking lot of the Sea Breeze Deli which is on the south side of University just west of the 880/580 freeway. The School House Creek is a 5 minute walk north. Space is limited to 25. City: Berkeley. MAP

      Oakland Sites:

      Claremont Middle School: Our longtime community partner Claremont Middle school in Oakland is looking for help with buildings and grounds improvements throughout the campus. We will assist the PTA both inside and out to help prepare their campus for the 100th Anniversary Celebration of Claremont. Space limited to 100. City: Oakland. MAP

      16th Street Station: The 16th Street Station is a historic Oakland landmark. Built in 1912, it has played a significant role in the city of Oakland, but since has fallen in disrepair. Volunteers will help with trash removal, weeding, and general clean up both inside and out. Check out this video by Matt Beardsley on the restoration project. Not suitable for small children and very limited bathroom access. Space is limited to 30. City: Oakland. MAP

      Notes:

      • Coffee and bagels will be provided at all sites on a first come, first served basis. Be sure to wear work clothes and comfortable shoes.
      • Sites have limited volunteer opportunities. Please register in advance so that you (and your friends) can be sure to serve at the site that most interests you.
      • As always, there will be no childcare, but supervised children are welcome at most sites.
      • Project Peace/Day of Peace T-Shirts are for sale on our website for $15.

      Eventbrite - Day of Peace June 1, 2013

      MazzarelloThis email is designed and produced by Mazzarello Media and Arts

      Please, mark your calendar and register for the next service opportunity with Project Peace!!

      Consider asking friends, colleagues, or neighbors to this event which benefits local service providers and schools.  You may be surprised at how many are eager to serve, but don't know where/how to start.  A good start is often an invitation from you!

      Project Peace Day of Peace is coming up June 1st!!
      9 a.m.-12 p.m.- come for what you are able
      Coffee and bagels provided at all sites on a first come first served basis

      BERKELEY SITES

      LeConte Elementary- We will be helping LeConte's staff and teachers with some clean up projects. Volunteers will help with organizing rooms and general campus clean up.  Space is limited to 25.  City: Berkeley. MAP

      Friends Of Five Creeks- We are partnering with Friends of Five Creeks for a bay shoreline clean up near the Berkeley Marina at the School House Creek site.  Work will include removal of invasive plants and trash clean up.  Work gloves are provided, but wear closed toed shoes and dress in layers!  Meet in the parking lot of the Sea Breeze Deli which is on the south side of University just west of the 880/580 freeway.  The School House Creek is a 5 minute walk north.  Space is limited to 25.  City: BerkeleyMAP

      OAKLAND SITES

      Claremont Middle School- Our longtime community partner Claremont Middle school in Oakland is looking for help with buildings and grounds improvements throughout the campus.  We will assist the PTA both inside and out. Space limited to 100.  City: Oakland.  MAP

      16th Street Station in West Oakland- The 16th Street Station is a historic Oakland landmark.  Built in 1912, it has played a significant role in the city of Oakland, but since has fallen in disrepair.  Volunteers will help with graffiti removal, weeding, and general clean up.  Not suitable for small children! Space is limited to 30.  City: OaklandMap

      The last Day of Peace 239 volunteers donated 717 hours to the community by linking up community members, churches, and local service providers.

      Here is a glimpse at how a Day of Peace can benefit the communities we live in:
      • Last year Project Peace mobilized nearly 600 volunteers and provided  over 1,600 service hours at 4 Days of Peace
      • A Day of Peace is an incredible opportunity to bring along friends/colleagues who are not interested in church, but want to serve.  Serving alongside people who do go to church can offer a glimpse into the life of a Christian and be a possible stepping stone into conversations of faith.
      • Great opportunity to help severely underfunded local schools and social service providers get an incredible amount of work done for free
      • Project Peace is able to be the hands and feet of the church without being off putting to service providers.  Every time we host a Day of Peace service providers are absolutely blown away that people unconnected to them would donate their time.
      • Recently read a book about children/service learning and appreciated this comment, "Service involvement changes children and helps clarify their values.  They realize their capacity to give, and they learn patience and compassion.  Service becomes a part of children's identity; they come to see volunteering as part of who they are and what they do." Bring your kids- bring their scooters, bikes, chalk, whatever to help them have fun serving.
      Ways you can help:
      • Invite friends, neighbors, colleagues to attend and get lunch after
      • Let your small group know about the event and encourage people to REGISTER
      • Like Project Peace East Bay on Facebook
      Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding the Day of Peace!

      Best
      Jen

      What is Project Peace?
      Some of you may be wondering about Project Peace.  For a full description see the website.

       Project Peace East Bay has been active in Berkeley and Oakland since 2006, and was officially incorporated as a 501(c)3 California nonprofit in December 2007.  Project Peace was founded by Christ Church East Bay.

      Project Peace exists to create partnerships between local churches and services that work together for just and sustainable communities in Berkeley, Oakland, and surrounding areas.

      What exactly is a Day of Peace?

      Day of Peace is a coordinated effort by Project Peace East Bay to bring together local faith-based groups, non-profit organizations, and East Bay social service providers in order to promote the common good of our East Bay communities through quarterly volunteer serviceopportunities.  Project Peace's hope is that through these partnerships our local East Bay communities will become more environmentally, economically and socially sustainable.  A Day of Peace is an opportunity for people from very different backgrounds to come together simply to love and serve our shared community. Whether you are a friend, neighbor, colleague, someone who cares very deeply about the agency that is being served, or someone who just wants to make new friends, the Day of Peace is a great place for you to get connected into working towards more sustainable communities.

       Days of Peace are not overtly religious projects (there is no teaching or prayer), and the agencies and organizations served are not faith-based non-profits. Thus, a Day of Peace creates an opportunity for churched and unchurched, spiritual and secular, religious and a-religious alike to come together simply to love and serve our shared community.