Bay to Breakers

  • Daniel Marlay
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2013
      Hey everyone,

      This Sunday, May 19th, we have a couple fun events related to bay to breakers.  If you are new to the bay area, Bay to Breakers is a San Francisco tradition.  It's a 12km race from the Ferry Building (the bay) west across San Francisco out to Ocean Beach (the breakers).  Tens of thousands of people participate in the race.  It starts with the serious runners, then semi-serious runners, then joggers, then walkers.  Quite a number of people wear costumes, and it is quite a spectacle.

      The NorCal PCA will have a contingent in the race, so NorCal is inviting everyone interested in a little 3rd goal action to join the contingent.  Put on your traditional outfit from your host country, and make the stroll.  See pictures from last year's B2B at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.413356362020560.92128.107030249319841&type=3.  East Bay rep Lara McLaughlin is organizing the contingent.  It's pretty easy, though.  Just sign up on the official Bay to Breakers website - http://www.baytobreakers.com/index.php?page=runners-walkers.  Then meet at Walgreen's at Spear and Mission at 8am.  No traditional outfit?  No problem!  All walkers who want to walk with NorCal are welcome.  RSVP for the walk at https://www.facebook.com/events/129004293955457/.

      The after party is at my house.  I won't be doing the walk, but will head out to Alamo Square around 10am or so to watch the end of the race.  Don't feel like walking, but want to join me to watch?  Cool!  I'll be leaning against the rail somewhere between Pierce and Scott.  Walking, but don't feel like going all the way out to the Ocean?  I understand.  Alamo Square is about the halfway point, and a good stopping place.  We can watch for about an hour or two.  The race usually passes Alamo Square by about noon.

      Then it's time to head to my house.  I'm at 1021 Divisadero St, between Turk and Golden Gate.  We'll fire up the grill, ice down some cold ones, and people will roll in throughout the day.  Didn't do Bay to Breakers?  No problem.  Come anyway.

      This barbecue is a fundraiser for the NorCal PCA grants fund, so it's a suggested $10 minimum donation.  All the money above costs will go to supporting development projects in developing countries.  See http://norcalpca.org/grants.cfm for more info about past years' grant recipients.  Special thanks to Daniel Rabkin for securing a donation of beer from Gordon Biersch.  I'll be buying meat and sides later this week, so if you are coming, please RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/504076822986974/, so I have an idea of how much to prepare for.  While beer and meat are provided, it wouldn't hurt to bring some sides, veggies, etc.  If you have any questions, let me know.  My cell phone number is 415-307-4961, in case you're trying to find me at Alamo Square, or find my house, or just want to check to see what the party needs.

      Hope to see you all there!

      Daniel Marlay
      Suriname '01-'03