The Human Right to Peace: A National Peace Academy Peacebuilder Teleconference Dialogue

  • Mike Abkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2011

      Hello, everyone.

      Please see the message and report below from the National Peace Academy regarding Tuesday’s NPA Peacebuilder Teleconference Dialogue with Ambassador Anwarul Chowdhury of the United Nations. Ambassador Chowdhury spoke to and fielded questions about the on-going campaign for a declaration of the human right to peace.

      Included below are links to a recording of the teleconference and to a downloadable version of the Santiago Declaration on the Human Right to Peace.

      In peace,

      Mike

      Michael H. Abkin, Ph.D.

      Member, Board of Directors

      National Peace Academy

      www.nationalpeaceacademy.us

      mike@...

      Phone: +1-650-376-3767

      cid:E52A1991-94FC-4DAF-9A1E-A2CAE1EE3EA3@...

      UPCOMING PROGRAMS

        * July 17-23, 2011: Peacebuilding Peacelearning Intensive (PPI) in Vermont
        * August 12-19, 2011: The International Institute on Peace Education (IIPE) in Japan
      SIGN UP to receive the monthly newsletter of the Global Campaign for Peace Education

      READ the NPA Annual Report here.

      Dear Friends and Colleagues,

      Thank you to all who joined us and contributed their voices to our inaugural Peacebuilder Teleconference Dialogue with Ambassador Anwarul Chowdhury.

      We owe a great debt of gratitude to Ambassador Chowdhury for sharing with us his personal journey as a peacebuilder and for so clearly articulating the vision and goals of the campaign for the Human Right to Peace.

      During the dialogue Ambassador Chowdhury and guests emphasized the role of civil society in shaping the political climate and promoting the human right to peace.  The role of formal and non-formal peace education at all levels was also emphasized as essential in contributing toward the necessary changes in worldviews, attitudes and behaviors that can lead toward the personal, social and political transformations that would make a culture of peace possible.

      Further Supporting the Campaign for the Human Right to Peace

      The National Peace Academy is pleased to make available several resources on our website to aid in promoting and supporting continued learning and educational efforts related to the Human Right to Peace.  These resources include:  a complete recording of the dialogue with Ambassador Chowdhury, a downloadable version of the Santiago Declaration on the Human Right to Peace, and other supporting links.

      >>Click here to access and share these resources today<<

      We hope that you will continue the dialogue by sharing this information with others, and by discussing the issues with people in your own communities.

      While visiting our website please also take the opportunity to learn about our upcoming programs including our weekend intensive on The Science of Nonviolence: Theory and Practice (May 7-8, Berkeley, CA) and the Peacebuilding Peacelearning Intensive (July 17-23, Burlington, VT).  These learning opportunities represent a few of the National Peace Academy’s contributions in support of the nurturance of a culture of peace and human rights for all.

      We hope you will join us for our next Peacebuilder Teleconference Dialogue.  Be sure to watch our website and sign-up for our newsletter for more information!

      With gratitude from all of us at the National Peace Academy