751Fwd: dr. d.k. "skip" smith, dean, school of business, american univers ity of nigeria

  • kjkeefer@juno.com
    Feb 1, 2009
      This message was sent to Friends of Nigeria members. However, if any of you are interested in this professorship in the American Univ. of Nigeria's School of Business and Entrepreneurship in Yola, Nigeria, please feel free to write to Dr. Smith.

      Karen

      Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 08:09:35 -0800 (PST)
      From: skip smith <wawa99@...>
      To: pjhansen@...

      dear peter (if i may be so informal):

      dr. d.k. "skip" smith here, rpcv (sierra leone 1968-70) and now, many
      years later, dean of the school of business and entrepreneurship (sbe)
      at american university of nigeria (aun) in yola nigeria. i hope you are well, and that the new year is off to a good start for you.

      my reason for writing today is that i need to recruit professors to
      teach for the sbe at our campus in yola, and i am wondering whether
      there is a way you and/or the organization could help me find people who might be interested in joining us. we pay reasonably well (many
      associate professors earn between 70-80 thousand u.s. dollars tax free, and a few even earn a bit more) and the university provides free housing to all expatriate staff (that is, all staff hired outside of nigeria).

      if you and/or the organization could help me publisize these
      opportunities to people who might be interested, i would certainly be
      grateful. additional background information on aun includes the following:

      1) people interested in learning more about aun should visit our
      website. if people go to google and type in "american university of
      nigeria," our website should pop right up.

      2) we are a wireless internet campus. in fact, i believe we may be the only campus in nigeria with campus-wide wireless internet coverage. each entering student is provided a laptop, so that they are able to access easily the information resources available on the web.

      3) may of 2008, at the end of spring semester, we had about 650
      students. now, i believe that (at the start of spring semester 2009) we have about 1200 students. in other words, our student population is growing very rapidly. i believe that our faculty currently numbers
      approximately 73.

      4) people may wonder why we are located in yola, nigeria. the reason
      is that the wealthy nigerian (and former vice president of nigeria) who is behind the founding of the university (we opened fall semester 2005 with about 124 students and about 14 faculty) is from yola and wanted his university to be located there.

      at this point, let me wrap up. i look forward very much to the
      possibility that we might be able to do a "win-win" thing here, that is, get the information about our opportunities to members of friends of nigeria who might be interested in an opportunity to join us, and (at the same time) help me acquire some good faculty members who know a lot about being overseas in a developing world environment. meanwhile, all the best, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this.

      dr. d.k. "skip" smith
      dean
      sbe
      aun

      ps: in case you are wondering, i am a new member both of the national
      rpcv organization and of the "friends of nigeria" interest group.