1406How to Change the World

  • <jaymaghana@...>
    Jan 20, 2014
      Hello fellow RPCVs,
      I thought some folks might be interested in this free on-line class that started today (it is not too late to join up with 40,000 others in the class!) on How to Change the World.
      the link is
      https://www.coursera.org/course/changetheworld
      The course is 6 weeks long.
      This is the course summary:
      About the Course
      How to Change the World has its origins in Mashable's "Social Good Summit" held at the 92nd Street Y. The summit brought together some of the world's most creative entrepreneurs, writers, academics and political leaders to discuss ways innovative thinking and technology can address pressing global challenges. Beginning from talks, panels and conversations from the summit, we will add lectures, on-line discussion groups, hangouts and readings to explore the issues in politics, technology and the environment in broader academic and historical contexts. We will then discover together what actions we can take to make a difference.

      How to Change the World examines how we can develop "social goods" and use them to create networks of progressive change. Classes will explore the meaning of "social goods" and then address the following topics: Poverty and Philanthropy; Climate Change and Sustainability; Women, Education and Social Change; Social Networks, Education and Activism. Each week will be structured along the following questions: 1. What do we know? 2. Why should we care? 3. What can we do?

      The course says that it takes 3-5 hours a week, but it varies by how much time and interest a person has to put into it. If you do sign up and are interested in forming a discussion group (which we can also do on-line in the class forum), contact me directly at jaymaghana@....
      Jayma Brown
      Western Samoa 1983-1985
      Ghana 2002-2004
      Liberia 2011