Re: [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy] van Kuijk/Eland

  • Nynke van den Hooven
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
      Ron,

      One might assume that the 1820 marriage record is correct. Ofcourse it's
      possible that this was Johannes second (maybe even third or fourth)
      marriage. And if Maria (Mie) Eland was 24 when she got married, her son
      Johannes could have been born somewhere between 1755 and 1775. So he might
      have been anything between 45 and 65 years old....
      Dutch marriage certificates are accompanied by what are called the marital
      appendices. You may find a lot of info there. On
      http://genealogy.about.com/library/authors/ucklaassen1c.htm it is explained:

      "Introduction
      From 1811 on, all Dutch marriages are officially registered by the local
      authorities. The marriage certificates of the period 1811-1922 are kept in
      provincial archives, and are free accessible. It are very informative
      documents for genealogical purposes.

      Standard form
      The registrar used a standard form. Of course the names of bride and groom
      were listed, but also their birth and living places, their ages, and their
      occupations. Also the names of the parents were included in the certificate,
      and their living places. There were always witnesses, and their names, ages
      and occupations are mentioned in the last part of the document. At the foot
      of the certificate you will find the signing of the couple, the witnesses
      and the registrar. Sometimes not all of them signed for a simple reason: not
      everyone was able to write.

      Appendices
      Usually there are also appendices of the marriage certificate available. The
      registrar only could marry a couple if they provide him with a few official
      documents. This are the appendices, or in Dutch the `huwelijksbijlagen'. He
      needed at least copies of the birth certificates of the bridegroom and the
      bride and a document of the National Army. But if one of the parents of the
      couple was already deceased, the registrar also asked for a copy of the
      death certificate. The amount of documents is sometimes more than 10,
      including for example copies of death certificates of grandparents, notarial
      acts concerning the approval of the marriage by parents living far away or a
      statement about the poor financial situation of the couple."

      If one of the spouses-to-be was a widow(er) the registrar would also need a
      copy of the death-certificate of the former spouse.

      Kind regards,
      Nynke van den Hooven.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
        > can't find any date when Johanne or Elizabeth were born. Could one
        > of the marriage dates be recorded incorrectly?

        That is a possibilility - although I would suggest if the date is in error,
        the error is in the transcribing rather than the recording.

        > Burgerlijke Stand: huwelijk , aktenummer: 11, datum: 23-4-1820
        > BRUIDEGOM: Johannes van Kuijck
        > geboorteplaats bruidegom: Boxtel
        > BRUID: Elisabeth Vingerhoets
        > geboorteplaats bruid: Oirschot

        For both the bride and groom it gives the birthplace - shouldn't be too hard
        to find their dates.

        > Opmerkingen: akte bevat meer informatie

        You will need the actual document to find what further information is
        recorded. Could be the death of an earlier spouse, or the acknowledgement of
        a child born before the marriage.

        Ron, whereabouts in Australia are you? If in a city or town, check your
        phone book for the nearest Family History Centre. (Lacking an entry, call
        the nearest Mormon Church and ask where the FHC is and what the phonenumber
        is). Then call them, make an appointment and pay them a visit. Ask them
        especially to explain the use of the Family History Library Catalogue. From
        there you can then order for loan (and for a few dollars ;-)) the films
        containing the images of the original documents. And while you have the film
        there you could see if there are siblings or other relatives also recorded.

        The above marriage can be found on film number 111161 (births, marriage
        proclamations, marriages and deaths 1820-1823. Film number 111162 will give
        you the marriage supplements for 1820-1823. Once you find the marriage
        document, you need to note the year and registration number (and in this
        case you already have it from the index) to find the supplements - gives
        information on birth of the bride and groom, whether or not the groom served
        in the military, information about deaths of the parents, and other goodies.
        Note that these are usually extracts from the original documents, and do not
        give ALL the information that can be found in the original, but they will
        give you the name of the place where the birth or death or other event was
        registered, so that you go and search there.

        Good luck!
        Greetings from Beautiful British Columbia
        Esther Perry