van Kuijk/Eland

  • Ron Kasten
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2004
      Hallo everyone
      Could you help me with this puzzle. I have traced my family back to
      Johannes van kuijk and vrouw Elisabeth Vingerhoets with your help.
      Found an entry concerning what seems to me to be his parents,
      Adriaan Jan van Cuijk and vrouw Mie Thomas Eelands. I can understand
      the spelling difference as I was kindly explained that due to
      illiteracy spelling was seldom accurate. But there seems to be to
      big a time gap. Adriaan and Maria married 1755 son married 1820. I
      can't find any date when Johanne or Elizabeth were born. Could one
      of the marriage dates be recorded incorrectly?
      For all those who have helped me so far a big thank you

      Warm regards
      Ron

      Details
      Elisabeth Vingerhoets
      Bride on Sunday, April 23, 1820 Boxtel

      Plaats: Boxtel
      Burgerlijke Stand: huwelijk , aktenummer: 11, datum: 23-4-1820
      BRUIDEGOM: Johannes van Kuijck
      geboorteplaats bruidegom: Boxtel
      BRUID: Elisabeth Vingerhoets
      geboorteplaats bruid: Oirschot
      Vader bruidegom: Adriaan van Kuijck
      Moeder bruidegom: Maria Thomas van Eland
      Vader bruid: Martinus Vingerhoets
      Moeder bruid: Cornelia Verhoeven
      Opmerkingen: akte bevat meer informatie

      Source:
      BS - Boxtel - huwelijken 1811-1822
      Archive:
      BS HUWELIJKEN inventarisnummer diverse
      Burgerlijke Stand 1811-1918 (1922)

      Details
      Mie Thomas van Eeland
      Bride on Saturday, April 26, 1755 Boxtel

      Plaats: Boxtel TROUWDATUM: 26-04-1755
      Ondertrouwdatum: 26-04-1755
      BRUIDEGOM: Adriaan Jan van Cuijk
      Leeftijd bruidegom 25jr
      BRUID: Mie Thomas van Eeland,
      Leeftijd bruid 24jr
      Bron Rijksarchief Noord-Brabant, NG register 30

      Source:
      Boxtel trouwen, 1608-1810
      Archive:
      DTB Boxtel inventarisnummer diverse
      Retroacta van de Burgerlijke Stand

    • Nynke van den Hooven
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
        Ron,

        One might assume that the 1820 marriage record is correct. Ofcourse it's
        possible that this was Johannes second (maybe even third or fourth)
        marriage. And if Maria (Mie) Eland was 24 when she got married, her son
        Johannes could have been born somewhere between 1755 and 1775. So he might
        have been anything between 45 and 65 years old....
        Dutch marriage certificates are accompanied by what are called the marital
        appendices. You may find a lot of info there. On
        http://genealogy.about.com/library/authors/ucklaassen1c.htm it is explained:

        "Introduction
        From 1811 on, all Dutch marriages are officially registered by the local
        authorities. The marriage certificates of the period 1811-1922 are kept in
        provincial archives, and are free accessible. It are very informative
        documents for genealogical purposes.

        Standard form
        The registrar used a standard form. Of course the names of bride and groom
        were listed, but also their birth and living places, their ages, and their
        occupations. Also the names of the parents were included in the certificate,
        and their living places. There were always witnesses, and their names, ages
        and occupations are mentioned in the last part of the document. At the foot
        of the certificate you will find the signing of the couple, the witnesses
        and the registrar. Sometimes not all of them signed for a simple reason: not
        everyone was able to write.

        Appendices
        Usually there are also appendices of the marriage certificate available. The
        registrar only could marry a couple if they provide him with a few official
        documents. This are the appendices, or in Dutch the `huwelijksbijlagen'. He
        needed at least copies of the birth certificates of the bridegroom and the
        bride and a document of the National Army. But if one of the parents of the
        couple was already deceased, the registrar also asked for a copy of the
        death certificate. The amount of documents is sometimes more than 10,
        including for example copies of death certificates of grandparents, notarial
        acts concerning the approval of the marriage by parents living far away or a
        statement about the poor financial situation of the couple."

        If one of the spouses-to-be was a widow(er) the registrar would also need a
        copy of the death-certificate of the former spouse.

        Kind regards,
        Nynke van den Hooven.

        Could you help me with this puzzle. I have traced my family back to
        Johannes van kuijk and vrouw Elisabeth Vingerhoets with your help.
        Found an entry concerning what seems to me to be his parents,
        Adriaan Jan van Cuijk and vrouw Mie Thomas Eelands. I can understand
        the spelling difference as I was kindly explained that due to
        illiteracy spelling was seldom accurate. But there seems to be to
        big a time gap. Adriaan and Maria married 1755 son married 1820. I
        can't find any date when Johanne or Elizabeth were born. Could one
        of the marriage dates be recorded incorrectly?
        For all those who have helped me so far a big thank you

        Warm regards
        Ron
        <knip>
      • Esther Perry
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
          > can't find any date when Johanne or Elizabeth were born. Could one
          > of the marriage dates be recorded incorrectly?

          That is a possibilility - although I would suggest if the date is in error,
          the error is in the transcribing rather than the recording.

          > Burgerlijke Stand: huwelijk , aktenummer: 11, datum: 23-4-1820
          > BRUIDEGOM: Johannes van Kuijck
          > geboorteplaats bruidegom: Boxtel
          > BRUID: Elisabeth Vingerhoets
          > geboorteplaats bruid: Oirschot

          For both the bride and groom it gives the birthplace - shouldn't be too hard
          to find their dates.

          > Opmerkingen: akte bevat meer informatie

          You will need the actual document to find what further information is
          recorded. Could be the death of an earlier spouse, or the acknowledgement of
          a child born before the marriage.

          Ron, whereabouts in Australia are you? If in a city or town, check your
          phone book for the nearest Family History Centre. (Lacking an entry, call
          the nearest Mormon Church and ask where the FHC is and what the phonenumber
          is). Then call them, make an appointment and pay them a visit. Ask them
          especially to explain the use of the Family History Library Catalogue. From
          there you can then order for loan (and for a few dollars ;-)) the films
          containing the images of the original documents. And while you have the film
          there you could see if there are siblings or other relatives also recorded.

          The above marriage can be found on film number 111161 (births, marriage
          proclamations, marriages and deaths 1820-1823. Film number 111162 will give
          you the marriage supplements for 1820-1823. Once you find the marriage
          document, you need to note the year and registration number (and in this
          case you already have it from the index) to find the supplements - gives
          information on birth of the bride and groom, whether or not the groom served
          in the military, information about deaths of the parents, and other goodies.
          Note that these are usually extracts from the original documents, and do not
          give ALL the information that can be found in the original, but they will
          give you the name of the place where the birth or death or other event was
          registered, so that you go and search there.

          Good luck!
          Greetings from Beautiful British Columbia
          Esther Perry