Re: Pennings in Noord Brabant

  • mariagorissen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi Marc,
      There are a lot of variations of the name Pennings. See next link:
      http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/nfd/detail_naam.php?naam=Pennings&taal=eng
      <http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/nfd/detail_naam.php?naam=Pennings&taal=eng>
      kind regards and Best Wishes for 2009
      Maria Gorissen

      --- In Noord-Brabant_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "mark.pennings"
      <mark.pennings@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm another Australian with Dutch heritage, and must also apolgise for
      > not being able to speak Dutch. Recently, a Dutch genealogist traced my
      > ancestry back in time from S' Hertogenbosch (19th & 20th centuries),
      > Vught (19th century), Sint Michielsgestel (17th & 18th centuries),
      > Schindel (17th, 16th & 15th centuries), Oirschot (14th to 15th
      > centuries). The oldest direct relative was Henric Penninc who was born
      > in 1310. The genealogist has suggested that Henric Penninc and his
      > family likely came from Flanders, and apparently an estate called
      > Penninckx is situated near Gent and was likely the family property. It
      > may be that the poet Penninc who wrote an early Flemish chronicle
      > about King Arthur (13th century) was related.
      >
      > I also got my DNA checked by National Geographic and I am a member of
      > "Haplogroup G". This exists in only about 5% of the population and
      > suggests that my Y Chromosome was perhaps 1) a Samartian (a people
      > with Scythian heritage who lived on the Hungarian Plains in the 1st
      > Century AD), the Romans hired them as auxilary troops to guard the
      > Rhine frontier in northern Belgium, or 2) an Alan (another people of
      > Scythian descent) and they were part of the Barbarian invasion of
      > Europe in the 3rd and 4th centuries AD. My forefather then may have
      > entered Brabant with the Franks perhaps.
      >
      > The surname suggests that they were tax or coin collectors (likely for
      > the nobility) and were themselves likely knights, and if not nobility,
      > were definitely marrying into the nobility up to the 13th century. The
      > Noord-Brabant Pennings were landed gentry, but my direct line had no
      > property by the mid-18th century.
      >
      > There are various spellings of the name: Penninc, Pennincks,
      > Penninckx, and the later Pennings.
      >
      > There may be other Pennings searching their history and I am happy to
      > share the information I have, or someone may be able to give me some
      > information about Medieval Flanders because I am interested in finding
      > out more about the family in Flanders.
      >
      > Thanks for your time.
      >
      > Mark Pennings

    • mark.pennings
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
        Thanks Maria,

        That's an interesting site. Clearly a strong Noord-Brabant name!

        Mark Pennings
      • arjanwolters
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
          Marc,
          do you know www.penninx.nl ?
          There is a lot on that site , but in dutch
          Arjan Wolters