Pennings in Noord Brabant

  • mark.pennings
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm another Australian with Dutch heritage, and must also apolgise for
      not being able to speak Dutch. Recently, a Dutch genealogist traced my
      ancestry back in time from S' Hertogenbosch (19th & 20th centuries),
      Vught (19th century), Sint Michielsgestel (17th & 18th centuries),
      Schindel (17th, 16th & 15th centuries), Oirschot (14th to 15th
      centuries). The oldest direct relative was Henric Penninc who was born
      in 1310. The genealogist has suggested that Henric Penninc and his
      family likely came from Flanders, and apparently an estate called
      Penninckx is situated near Gent and was likely the family property. It
      may be that the poet Penninc who wrote an early Flemish chronicle
      about King Arthur (13th century) was related.

      I also got my DNA checked by National Geographic and I am a member of
      "Haplogroup G". This exists in only about 5% of the population and
      suggests that my Y Chromosome was perhaps 1) a Samartian (a people
      with Scythian heritage who lived on the Hungarian Plains in the 1st
      Century AD), the Romans hired them as auxilary troops to guard the
      Rhine frontier in northern Belgium, or 2) an Alan (another people of
      Scythian descent) and they were part of the Barbarian invasion of
      Europe in the 3rd and 4th centuries AD. My forefather then may have
      entered Brabant with the Franks perhaps.

      The surname suggests that they were tax or coin collectors (likely for
      the nobility) and were themselves likely knights, and if not nobility,
      were definitely marrying into the nobility up to the 13th century. The
      Noord-Brabant Pennings were landed gentry, but my direct line had no
      property by the mid-18th century.

      There are various spellings of the name: Penninc, Pennincks,
      Penninckx, and the later Pennings.

      There may be other Pennings searching their history and I am happy to
      share the information I have, or someone may be able to give me some
      information about Medieval Flanders because I am interested in finding
      out more about the family in Flanders.

      Thanks for your time.

      Mark Pennings
    • mariagorissen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
        Hi Marc,
        There are a lot of variations of the name Pennings. See next link:
        http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/nfd/detail_naam.php?naam=Pennings&taal=eng
        <http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/nfd/detail_naam.php?naam=Pennings&taal=eng>
        kind regards and Best Wishes for 2009
        Maria Gorissen

        --- In Noord-Brabant_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "mark.pennings"
        <mark.pennings@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm another Australian with Dutch heritage, and must also apolgise for
        > not being able to speak Dutch. Recently, a Dutch genealogist traced my
        > ancestry back in time from S' Hertogenbosch (19th & 20th centuries),
        > Vught (19th century), Sint Michielsgestel (17th & 18th centuries),
        > Schindel (17th, 16th & 15th centuries), Oirschot (14th to 15th
        > centuries). The oldest direct relative was Henric Penninc who was born
        > in 1310. The genealogist has suggested that Henric Penninc and his
        > family likely came from Flanders, and apparently an estate called
        > Penninckx is situated near Gent and was likely the family property. It
        > may be that the poet Penninc who wrote an early Flemish chronicle
        > about King Arthur (13th century) was related.
        >
        > I also got my DNA checked by National Geographic and I am a member of
        > "Haplogroup G". This exists in only about 5% of the population and
        > suggests that my Y Chromosome was perhaps 1) a Samartian (a people
        > with Scythian heritage who lived on the Hungarian Plains in the 1st
        > Century AD), the Romans hired them as auxilary troops to guard the
        > Rhine frontier in northern Belgium, or 2) an Alan (another people of
        > Scythian descent) and they were part of the Barbarian invasion of
        > Europe in the 3rd and 4th centuries AD. My forefather then may have
        > entered Brabant with the Franks perhaps.
        >
        > The surname suggests that they were tax or coin collectors (likely for
        > the nobility) and were themselves likely knights, and if not nobility,
        > were definitely marrying into the nobility up to the 13th century. The
        > Noord-Brabant Pennings were landed gentry, but my direct line had no
        > property by the mid-18th century.
        >
        > There are various spellings of the name: Penninc, Pennincks,
        > Penninckx, and the later Pennings.
        >
        > There may be other Pennings searching their history and I am happy to
        > share the information I have, or someone may be able to give me some
        > information about Medieval Flanders because I am interested in finding
        > out more about the family in Flanders.
        >
        > Thanks for your time.
        >
        > Mark Pennings

      • mark.pennings
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
          Thanks Maria,

          That's an interesting site. Clearly a strong Noord-Brabant name!

          Mark Pennings
        • arjanwolters
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
            Marc,
            do you know www.penninx.nl ?
            There is a lot on that site , but in dutch
            Arjan Wolters