RE: [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy] [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy Yerminology

  • luud.de.brouwer@planet.nl
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hello Bob,

      In Udenhout there is an area that is called Leemkuilen.
      Leem is a kind of clay which is used to bake bricks. In Udenhout there has been a very large brickfactory which used the leem(=clay) to make bricks. The use of leem made holes (=kuilen) of course. The area that was formed by this proces is now called Leemkuilen, and is some sort of reservation for all sort of specimens both flora and fauna.

      I hope this has answered your question!

      Good luck with your investigation.

      Luud de Brouwer

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        leemkuiken is at times used as a nick name in Limburg, thats in the
        south-eastern part of the netherlands. i have it a few times
        somewhere in the 18th centry. no idea what the exact meaning is.

        Op 1-okt-2007, om 3:52 heeft rdpiet@... het volgende geschreven:

        > Could someone please tell me what the word leemkuiken means
        >
        > Thanks Bob Peterse, FL, USA

      • A.W.M. Teulings
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
          LEEMKUIKEN is not a very old dutch word. You will not find it in general use, neither in the Middel Ages (see dictionary Verdam), nor in modern times (see dictionary van Dale, 1961). But it has a regional meaning in the south and the east of the Netherlands. Literally it refers to the clay chicken/clay dove that is placed on top of a pole, in local competitions for the the best crossbow shooter (a traditional pastime activity). Figurally speaking it refers to a very lazy person who is not living a socially useful life.

          Ad Teulings

          To: Noord-Brabant_Genealogy@yahoogroups.comFrom: cbielok@...: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 09:48:55 +0200Subject: Re: [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy] [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy Yerminology

          leemkuiken is at times used as a nick name in Limburg, thats in the south-eastern part of the netherlands. i have it a few times somewhere in the 18th centry. no idea what the exact meaning is.Op 1-okt-2007, om 3:52 heeft rdpiet@... het volgende geschreven:> Could someone please tell me what the word leemkuiken means>> Thanks Bob Peterse, FL, USA>> **************************************> See what's new at http://www.aol.com>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>>

        • rdpiet@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            Thanks Aart, that explains my grandfather then.

            Figurally speaking it refers to a very lazy person who is not living a
            socially useful life.

            Bob Pieterse, FL, USA

          • A.W.M. Teulings
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              I wasn't aware that I would create such havock by diffusing what occurred to me plain knowledge. If I did hurt sombodies feelings, pleas accept my apologies. It might be a consolation that nicknames given by the Dutch - in the past that is - often were quite rude and unforgiving.
              Ad Teulings

              To: Noord-Brabant_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com; noord-brabant_genealogy@yahoogroups.comCC: aaocons@...: rdpiet@...: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 08:00:54 -0400Subject: Re: [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy] [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy Yerminology

            • rdpiet@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                Did not hurt my feeling one bit even though my GF was referred
                to leemkuiken . We are what we are and we dont change from
                whence we came.

                Can not understand why a fact would hurt someine's feelings.

                wasn't aware that I would create such havock by diffusing what occurred to
                me plain knowledge. If I did hurt sombodies feelings, pleas accept my
                apologies. It might be a consolation that nicknames given by the Dutch - in the past
                that is - often were quite rude and unforgiving.
                Ad Teulings

                Cheers all, Bob Pieterse, FL, USA