Re: [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy] [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy Yerminology

  • Brouwers
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
      In what context is it used? Leem is a sort soil ,I think clay and kuiken( which is a chick= baby chicken) could it have been kuilen which be a shallow hole in the ground kind of like potholes on the road. There is also the habit of in certain parts of Holland to built a one room house (if you can call it a house it was more what childern build in the woods a shunken shack) strating with a kuil in the ground and then with broads or thin tree stems and with grass sod over it to make the roof ,kinda like the first houses the pioneers made but shunk in the gound for added insulation, but here it was not per se temporary but families lived like that for generations, they had to have it build in one 24 hr period and a fire burning, then they could not be evicted from the land, this lasted up to and including the 1930's Also in the WW11 some Jewish families hide in the woods this way or young men who were suppose to go to Germany to work. Formerly from Calif. USA, now living in Zeeland, Anna Marie Schmitz
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hello Bob,

        In Udenhout there is an area that is called Leemkuilen.
        Leem is a kind of clay which is used to bake bricks. In Udenhout there has been a very large brickfactory which used the leem(=clay) to make bricks. The use of leem made holes (=kuilen) of course. The area that was formed by this proces is now called Leemkuilen, and is some sort of reservation for all sort of specimens both flora and fauna.

        I hope this has answered your question!

        Good luck with your investigation.

        Luud de Brouwer

        ________________________________

        Could someone please tell me what the word leemkuiken means

        Thanks Bob Peterse, FL, USA

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Caspar Bielok
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
          leemkuiken is at times used as a nick name in Limburg, thats in the
          south-eastern part of the netherlands. i have it a few times
          somewhere in the 18th centry. no idea what the exact meaning is.

          Op 1-okt-2007, om 3:52 heeft rdpiet@... het volgende geschreven:

          > Could someone please tell me what the word leemkuiken means
          >
          > Thanks Bob Peterse, FL, USA

        • A.W.M. Teulings
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            LEEMKUIKEN is not a very old dutch word. You will not find it in general use, neither in the Middel Ages (see dictionary Verdam), nor in modern times (see dictionary van Dale, 1961). But it has a regional meaning in the south and the east of the Netherlands. Literally it refers to the clay chicken/clay dove that is placed on top of a pole, in local competitions for the the best crossbow shooter (a traditional pastime activity). Figurally speaking it refers to a very lazy person who is not living a socially useful life.

            Ad Teulings

            To: Noord-Brabant_Genealogy@yahoogroups.comFrom: cbielok@...: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 09:48:55 +0200Subject: Re: [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy] [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy Yerminology

            leemkuiken is at times used as a nick name in Limburg, thats in the south-eastern part of the netherlands. i have it a few times somewhere in the 18th centry. no idea what the exact meaning is.Op 1-okt-2007, om 3:52 heeft rdpiet@... het volgende geschreven:> Could someone please tell me what the word leemkuiken means>> Thanks Bob Peterse, FL, USA>> **************************************> See what's new at http://www.aol.com>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>>

          • rdpiet@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              Thanks Aart, that explains my grandfather then.

              Figurally speaking it refers to a very lazy person who is not living a
              socially useful life.

              Bob Pieterse, FL, USA

            • A.W.M. Teulings
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                I wasn't aware that I would create such havock by diffusing what occurred to me plain knowledge. If I did hurt sombodies feelings, pleas accept my apologies. It might be a consolation that nicknames given by the Dutch - in the past that is - often were quite rude and unforgiving.
                Ad Teulings

                To: Noord-Brabant_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com; noord-brabant_genealogy@yahoogroups.comCC: aaocons@...: rdpiet@...: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 08:00:54 -0400Subject: Re: [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy] [Noord-Brabant_Genealogy Yerminology

              • rdpiet@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                  Did not hurt my feeling one bit even though my GF was referred
                  to leemkuiken . We are what we are and we dont change from
                  whence we came.

                  Can not understand why a fact would hurt someine's feelings.

                  wasn't aware that I would create such havock by diffusing what occurred to
                  me plain knowledge. If I did hurt sombodies feelings, pleas accept my
                  apologies. It might be a consolation that nicknames given by the Dutch - in the past
                  that is - often were quite rude and unforgiving.
                  Ad Teulings

                  Cheers all, Bob Pieterse, FL, USA