Theodora Marie Verboort and Martin Hermens

  • David E. Hermens
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 4:53 AM
      Theodora Marie Verboort and Martin Hermens are my great grandparents. I
      am interested in learning as much about them as I can. What I know is
      that Theodora was born in 1837 in Uden and Martin was born around 1828
      in Zeeland (both cities in Noord-Brabant). I am especuially interested
      in Martin's parents and when (and how) he came to America. I know that
      the Verboort family came over in 1854 on the ship Libra. Any help would
      be greatly appreciate. I do not speak Dutch so some of the genealogy
      sites were a challange for me.
    • gerard lemmens
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1 5:41 AM
        Hello David,

        Then your family Verboort probably is related to the priest who with some of the Wisconsin Catholics settled northwest of Portland , Oregon and created a village there which was named VERBOORT !? I have been there and visited the church Father Verboort had build there. Siomebody, called Truus Hendriks from Limburg in The Netherlands wrote a book about her Hendriks family and I think that she also has a branch in Verboort.

        I have 5 branches of my Lemmens family in Wisconsin ! This web site does not deal a lot with the Northeast of Brabant, so if you are not succesful, let me know and I will give you some e-mail addresses of people from that part of Brabant, OK?!
        gerardlemmens1@...

        Much succes and kind regards,
        Gerard Lemmens
        http://members.lycos.nl/lemmensfamilie

        Theodora Marie Verboort and Martin Hermens are my great grandparents. I
        am interested in learning as much about them as I can. What I know is
        that Theodora was born in 1837 in Uden and Martin was born around 1828
        in Zeeland (both cities in Noord-Brabant) . I am especuially interested
        in Martin's parents and when (and how) he came to America. I know that
        the Verboort family came over in 1854 on the ship Libra. Any help would
        be greatly appreciate. I do not speak Dutch so some of the genealogy
        sites were a challange for me.

      • Nynke van den Hooven
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1 5:58 AM
          David,

          I have to correct you on the emigration years :-).
          The Verboort-family emigrated in 1848 aboard the Libra. Martin Hermens
          appears to have emigrated in 1854 according to the Dutch emigration lists.
          As I informed you earlier in messages in the Zeeland-genealogy group the
          'Libra'-information states that the Verboort's originated from Volkel (a
          town in Noord-Brabant). Births of Theodora Maria and her brothers Johannes
          (*1833), Wilhelmus (*1835) and Lambertus (*1840), children of Johannes
          Verboort and Theodora van der R(e)ijt were registered in Uden. Johannes was
          a farmer in Uden.

          The Martinus Hermens I mentioned in an earlier message can't have been the
          right one...., I found that he died in Wanroij in december 1826.
          I found the following Martinus Hermens who was born in Zeeland (which
          matches his age in the emigration record of 1854; he was 26 years old at the
          time):
          Town: Zeeland, source: BHIC Veghel, Civil Registration Births, cert. nr: 37
          Born: Martinus Hermens
          Birth date: 27-9-1828
          son of
          Father: Antonie Hermens
          Occupation father : farmer living in Zeeland
          Mother: Cornelia van Dijk living in Zeeland

          Met vriendelijke groet,
          Nynke van den Hooven.

          Theodora Marie Verboort and Martin Hermens are my great grandparents. I
          am interested in learning as much about them as I can. What I know is
          that Theodora was born in 1837 in Uden and Martin was born around 1828
          in Zeeland (both cities in Noord-Brabant). I am especuially interested
          in Martin's parents and when (and how) he came to America. I know that
          the Verboort family came over in 1854 on the ship Libra. Any help would
          be greatly appreciate. I do not speak Dutch so some of the genealogy
          sites were a challange for me.<knip>
        • gerard lemmens
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1 6:02 AM
            Hallo Nynke,

            Ik zie dat je een Zeeland genealogische groep noemt ! Zou je mij daarvan het adres kunnen geven om lid van te worden svp ??

            Met dank,

            Gerard Lemmens
            gerardlemmens1@...

            Theodora Marie Verboort and Martin Hermens are my great grandparents. I
            am interested in learning as much about them as I can. What I know is
            that Theodora was born in 1837 in Uden and Martin was born around 1828
            in Zeeland (both cities in Noord-Brabant) . I am especuially interested
            in Martin's parents and when (and how) he came to America. I know that
            the Verboort family came over in 1854 on the ship Libra. Any help would
            be greatly appreciate. I do not speak Dutch so some of the genealogy
            sites were a challange for me.<knip>

          • Esther van Rems-Dijkstra
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1 6:29 AM
              I found the following, he could be the Martin (Martinus) that you are
              looking for.
              Martinus Hermens

              kind on Saturday, September 27, 1828 Zeeland

              Plaats: Zeeland, bron: BHIC Veghel, Burgerlijke Stand Geboorte, aktenummer:
              37
              Geboren: Martinus Hermens
              Geboortedatum: 27-9-1828
              relatie: zoon van
              Vader: Antonie Hermens
              Beroep vader: landbouwer
              Woonplaats vader: Zeeland
              Moeder: Cornelia van Dijk
              Woonplaats moeder: Zeeland
              ------------------------------

              ------------------------------

              Source:
              BS-G Zeeland 1811-1902

              Archive:
              BS-Geboorte inventarisnummer diverse
              Burgerlijke Stand
              The following on Antonie Hermens and Cornelia van Dijk (the parents of
              Martinus)
              Antonie Hermens

              vader bruid on Saturday, February 22, 1862 Zeeland

              Bron: RANB inventarisnummer: 9295 plaats: Zeeland
              Burgerlijke Stand: huwelijk , aktenummer: 4, datum: 22-2-1862
              BRUIDEGOM: Gerardus van Tiel
              geboorteplaats bruidegom: Zeeland
              geboortedatum bruidegom: 20-2-1826
              BRUID: Hendrina Hermens
              geboorteplaats bruid: Zeeland
              geboortedatum bruid: 30-5-1826
              Vader bruidegom: Roelof van Tiel
              Moeder bruidegom: Adriana Snijders
              Vader bruid: Antonie Hermens
              Moeder bruid: Cornelia van Dijk
              ------------------------------

              ------------------------------

              Source:
              BS-H Zeeland 1811-1922

              Archive:
              BS-Huwelijken inventarisnummer diverse
              Burgerlijke Stand
              Antonie Hermens

              Father on Tuesday, May 30, 1826 Zeeland
              Plaats: Zeeland, bron: BHIC Veghel, Burgerlijke Stand Geboorte, aktenummer:
              16
              Geboren: Hendrina Hermens
              Geboortedatum: 30-5-1826
              relatie: dochter van
              Vader: Antonie Hermens
              Beroep vader: landbouwer
              Woonplaats vader: Zeeland
              Moeder: Cornelia van Dijk
              Woonplaats moeder: Zeeland

              Antonie Hermens

              Father on Monday, January 11, 1909 Zeeland
              Plaats: Zeeland, bron: BHIC-Veghel
              Burgerlijke Stand Overlijden, aktenummer: 2 opgemaakt op: 12-1-1909
              Overleden: Hendrina Hermens, 82 jaar
              Geboorteplaats overledene: Zeeland
              Woonplaats overledene: Zeeland
              Relatie: weduwe van Gerardus van Tiel
              Datum overlijden: 11-1-1909
              dochter van
              Vader: Antonie Hermens
              Moeder: Cornelia van Dijk

              You can search in Brabants Historic Information Centre in Dutch and English
              (English here: http://www.bhic.nl/site/index.php?naam=home/database/isis),
              also www.genlias.nl you can search in Dutch and English (upperright hand
              corner you can choose English)

              Good luck
              Esther

              --
              Get Firefox!

            • Paul van Gool
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1 7:12 AM
                From the archive of the province of Noord-Brabant http://www.bhic.nl/site/ (also partly in English)
                Born: Martinus Hermens date 27-9-1828
                son of Antonie Hermens (landbouwer = farmer) and Cornelia van Dijk
                both living in Zeeland

                A little puzzle but it seems Antonie (also Antonius) was maried 3 times.
                If you don't know the way people were using lastnames and patronimes in Noord-Brabant you might never notice these were the same persons

                Antonius Hendrik (also Hent) Hermens born 6-1-1788 son of Henricus Hermens and Anna Maria Cornelissen
                died 2-1-1869 note: maried to Wilhelmina Vogels, widower of Petronella van den Berg amd of Cornelia van Dijk

                x1 Petronella van den Berg born ca 1792 died 17-9-1821 (29 years old), daughter of Arnoldus (Hendriks) van den Berg and Hendrina (Adriaan) van den Elsen
                mariage 8-9-1815
                children
                - Henricus Hermens born 2-10-1817
                - Joanna Maria Hermens, born 21-7-1816 died 8-4-1848, maried 2-5-1841 to Antonius de Groot born 24-1-1808, son of Adrianus de Groot and Catharina Tonie Davervelt
                - Hermanus Hermens born 13-9-1821 died 21-11-1821

                x2 Cornelia (Ansem Cornelissen) van Dijk (also Cornelia Thoonen) born 7-5-1792 died 19-1-1838 daughter of Ansem Thoonen van Dijk and Petronella Klaassen
                mariage 31-1-1823
                children
                - Peter Johannes Hermens born 9-1-1824 died 16-12-1912 maried 18-2-1865 to Gertruda van der Wijst, born 8-4-1825 daughter of Peter van der Wijst and Wilhelmina Hent Lucassen
                - Hermanus Hermens born 20-4-1825 died 21-4-1825
                - Hendrina Hermens born 30-5-1826 died 11-1-1909 maried 22-2-1862 to Gerardus van Tiel, born 20-2-1826, son of Roelof van Tiel and Adriana Snijders
                - Martinus Hermens born 27-9-1828
                - Wilhelmus Hermens born 2-10-1830
                - Petronella Hermens born 7-12-1831 died 13-7-1903 maried 29-1-1870 to Johannes van de Hei, born 11-1-1836, son of Cornelis Peter van de Hei and Cornelia van der Steen

                x3 Wilhelmina Vogels born 9-3-1816 died 7-12-1893 daughter of Geurt Vogels and Joanna Wilms de Groot
                mariage 23-11-1840 (she was only 24 and he was 52 years old)
                children
                - Cornelia Hermens born 26-5-1841
                - Johanna Maria Hermens, born 16-7-1844 died 27-3-1858
                - Gerardus Hermens born 27-10-1848 died 25-4-1861
                - Anna Maria Hermens born 30-12-1851 died 6-2-1941 maried 19-2-1881 to Peter Johannes Verstegen, born 20-9-1848, son of Cornelis Verstegen and Geertruda Hermens
                - Catharina Hermens born 22-2-1857 died 21-9-1921 maried 19-2-1881 to Joannes Boll, born Reek 24-2-1845, son of Gerardus Boll and Maria Jansen
                (yes, 2 mariages on the same date)

                Hope this will help you.
                Unluckely no information from before 1811 for Zeeland is available on the bhic website

                I could not find information about his migration

                Theodora Marie Verboort and Martin Hermens are my great grandparents. I
                am interested in learning as much about them as I can. What I know is
                that Theodora was born in 1837 in Uden and Martin was born around 1828
                in Zeeland (both cities in Noord-Brabant) . I am especuially interested
                in Martin's parents and when (and how) he came to America. I know that
                the Verboort family came over in 1854 on the ship Libra. Any help would
                be greatly appreciate. I do not speak Dutch so some of the genealogy
                sites were a challange for me.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • David E. Hermens
                Message 7 of 9 , May 1 7:36 AM
                  Thank you for your offer. I will keep that in mind. I know that
                  Martin and Theodora were in the group that moved from Wisvconsin to
                  Oregeon and are noted as the founders of that city.

                  --- In Noord-Brabant_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, gerard lemmens
                  <gerardlemmens1@...> wrote:

                  > Hello David,
                  >
                  > Then your family Verboort probably is related to the priest who
                  with some of the Wisconsin Catholics settled northwest of Portland ,
                  Oregon and created a village there which was named VERBOORT !? I have
                  been there and visited the church Father Verboort had build there.
                  Siomebody, called Truus Hendriks from Limburg in The Netherlands
                  wrote a book about her Hendriks family and I think that she also has
                  a branch in Verboort.

                  > I have 5 branches of my Lemmens family in Wisconsin ! This web site
                  does not deal a lot with the Northeast of Brabant, so if you are not
                  succesful, let me know and I will give you some e-mail addresses of
                  people from that part of Brabant, OK?!
                  > gerardlemmens1@...
                  >
                  > Much succes and kind regards,
                  > Gerard Lemmens
                  > http://members.lycos.nl/lemmensfamilie

                  Martin Hermens

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1 7:41 AM
                    Thank you for the information on the newer Martin. I will see if I
                    can confirm that through some of my other sources.

                    --- In Noord-Brabant_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Nynke van den

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 1 7:45 AM
                      Thank you for the good information. I will study it.

                      --- In Noord-Brabant_Genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Paul van Gool

                      http://www.bhic.nl/site/ (also partly in English)