RE: [NonProfitNetworking] Free Speech Threatened in Seattle/King County

  • Michael Taylor
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2010
      Let's not be obtuse, then... A budget debate is NOT a "threat" to anything -- and certainly not to anyone's free speech, which will continue to go on with or without the support of the city government.

      But I would certainly welcome a discussion of how non-profits can work together to navigate the current budget crisis and the loss of many public sources of funding.

      Or I would welcome a discussion about how citizens can support positive examples of public-private partnerships and/or coalitions of community organizations to find ways to work together to continue supporting the many worthy causes/social services being cut back.

      What we don't need, and what I am already seeing many e-mails for, is each individual group/cause firing out e-mails to its supporters about how we can fight to prevent this especially worthy cause from being cut.

      I would like to hope that all of the programs/organizations we are working with are doing important, sustaining work in our community. So, if folks are thinking about sending out e-mail pleas, I would appreciate a little more thought put into an alternative solution.

      Thanks,

      Michael

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 30, 2010

        Another case for the value of speaking face to face or hearing a person’s perspective rather than reading it in print.

        Can’t always communicate tone well in a post or email, unfortunately

        helen

[...]

        [mlpftw]

      • Dee Christoff
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010

          Enjoy the debate. I am not responding to this. I am leaving in a few hours and will be out of the office for 4 events that we are putting on in New York over the next week and a half. I only mention this to be clear that that is the only reason I’m not participating in this further (since you chose to respond specifically to my posting).

          Best wishes to all who choose to enter the fray.

          Dee Christoff

          We have a SERIOUS budget crisis throughout the city, county, and state right now. I hope this is not the first of more e-mails from folks suggesting that their organizations are under some sort of attack from evil companies or politicians.

          Please feel free to either suggest what organization you would like cut instead of yours or what tax you would like raised to pay for your group, or please do not send out e-mails like this in the future.

          Thank you.

          size=2 width="100%" align=center>