RE: [NonProfitNetworking] Need Help with Meal Planning at Residential Treatment Center!

  • Corrigan Gomencia
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010

      Megan and Group,

      I want to clarify that the monthly food budget is close to $4,500 and we serve between 120 and 150 meals per day.  Our morning and lunch meals follow the menus that were set up for Ruth Dykeman by a nutritionist according to the state’s requirement for the US Department of Agriculture School Breakfast & Lunch Program.  Dinners are planned according to menu items suggested by staff or taken from menus made by the nutritionist or vegetarian options chosen by the Food Services Manager. We are also serving new items to the children in order to help them make healthier food choices. Most of the food is not processed but there are some items such as hot dogs, pizza, tacos etc. that are served because staff has requested such items indicating this is what the children want.

      The newly formed nutrition committee has been created to expand this sort of dialogue and continually provide better nutrition for the children.

      Corrigan Gomencia
      Chief Financial & Operating Officer

      Ruth Dykeman Children's Center
      Phone: 206.242.1698 xt. 116
      corrigang@...

      P In consideration of the environment, please print this email only if necessary.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
        Is your meal plan for 3 meals per day, 2 or 1? It helps to know that for starters and how many days per week are you talking?

        Also, have you looked into tapping into food banks or PCC or Whole Foods for donations for your effort. Another thing that might be helpful for next year if not now is to tap into local growers in WA state who would be willing to provide some fresh produce or other things for the programs. I know this isn't what you asked for but might be worth looking into to extend that budget.
        Do you have or currently use a supplier- important to now what they offer and what their costs are to start the process.

        It might help to contact Fare Start, and ask them for help with this from the perspective of suppliers, actually creating the budget and or where to start for  the budget.

        I'd also google nonprofts in the community who provide nutritional counseling services or meals for children to use them as a resource.

        Another contact I know offers a service providing organic meals to children in schools and might be able to do the same for you she does all organic meals
        her website is www.myorganicmeals.com she has the menu on the site

        As it is,  I would purchase things through Costco if you don't have a supplier. Peanut Butter is a nutritious product that is lower on the cost scale. So definitely include that-
        If you are doing smoothies- you could make yummy smoothies with fresh donated, in season produce/ fruit and some added Hemp or Whey protein powder to add nutritional punch for snacks or even a quick breakfast drink.

        There are also organic hotdogs and burgers that children will eat that are healthier than the usual ones available.
        Hope some of this helps.
        helen

        On Aug 31, 2010, at 1:23 PM, megan.tebay wrote:

        I work at Ruth Dykeman Child Center and I have volunteered to be a part of the nutrition committee in order to provide better, healthier food to the kids in our programs (much of the food served is pre-packaged, high in sodium, and is nearly the same every week). I learned that our budget is $1000/month for food and this money is used to make about 120 meals each day. Can someone help me/show me how to create a meal plan based on this budget? I have never done this before and would love some help!

      • Elizabeth Martin FUND
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010

          I would contact the MPC and see if they can post to their inner circle. They might have someone that could help you.

          http://www.mealspartnership.org/

          Elizabeth Martin

          Foundations & Individual Relations Manager