RE: [NonProfitNetworking] Information on Stock Donations -- Needed

  • Richard Bridges
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2008

      We have had an account with Smith Barney for over 15 years and they handle all such donations for us.

      Do not believe you need a special policy; gifts like this are no different than getting a check.  And with all gifts determining if it is restricted or not.  The value to you of the stock is its closing price on the day you receive it.

      Richard O Bridges

      Executive Director

      The Millionair Club Charity, Inc.

      "Changing lives for the 'working homeless' through jobs, confidence, and OPPORTUNITY   - since 1921."

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
        At Cedar River Clinics, we have been very satisfied with
        Candy Lee - FSIC
        Financial Services International Corp
        Bank of America Tower
        701 Fifth Avenue Suite 6870
        Seattle, WA  98104
        206.386.5475
        email - fsic@...

        Joan at CedarRiverClinics.org

        At 12/29/2008 02:36 PM, ygmasundidre wrote:

        Dear Fundraising & Development Professionals:

        I am currently seeking referrals on a reputable stock broker/or firm who has experience in working with nonprofits who could assist an organization in accepting and processing stock donations.

        Also, if you happen to have a template for a thank you letter for the receipt of a stock donation, would you please share?

        Lastly, any tips or pointers on how best to go about receiving donations in the form of stock,  and examples of board and organizational policies for accepting stock would be greatly appreciated!

        Thanks

        Yalonda

        This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited; please contact the sender by reply email or immediately notify the Cedar River Clinics Privacy Officer at 206-267-2701. Please destroy all copies of original message.
      • Cory Sbarbaro
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2009
          One small clarification on the valuation of stock gifts -- the gift valuation is the average of the high and the low trading values for the security on the date of gift (not the closing price on the date of the gift).

          ~~~~
          Cory Sbarbaro, MPA
          Principal
          Turnpoint Consulting