Re: [NonProfitNetworking] The Revolution Will Not Be Funded

  • Polly Trout
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
      I LOVED this book, it is fabulous. Which reminds me -- I want to start
      a social justice book group, is anyone else interested in this? We can
      start with this one. I was thinking about waiting until September to
      start since it is hard for people to schedule things over the summer.
      Or, we can just get started. If you are interested in participating,
      you can email me at polly@.... Other books that
      would be great for the book group would be "Mountains Beyond
      Mountains" or "Bridging the Class Divide."

      Sam, I will call you Wednesday.

      Best wishes,

      Polly

      --
      --------
      Polly Trout, Ph.D.

      Street Address:
      1406 NE 50th St. #202
      Seattle, WA 98105

      Mailing Address
      6920 Roosevelt Way NE #355
      Seattle, WA 98115

      Seattle Education Access provides higher education advocacy and
      opportunity to people struggling to overcome poverty and adversity.
      For more information, visit www.seattleeducationaccess.org.
    • Carol Hiltner
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
        Hi! Great idea!
        I recommend In the Spirit of Crazy Horse by Peter Matthiessen. It will blow your mind.
        Carol

      • Nancy Bacon
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
          Thank you for this book referral. I also highly recommend my colleague's
          book, "Dance Lest We All Fall Down" (by Margaret Willson), which tells
          the story of Margaret's living in the shantytowns of Salvador, Brazil
          and subsequent co-founding of an organization that breaks cycles of
          poverty for girls living in the shantytowns of Salvador. She co-founded
          the organization Bahia Street with Rita Conceicao, an African-Brazilian
          sociologist herself from the shantytowns, and the book provides
          tremendous insight into the issues involved in creating social justice
          projects in partnership with the people being served. Margaret is an
          anthropologist who has taught classes and given talks on ways to
          integrate anthropological teachings into non-profit work. She is based
          in Seattle and has joined in on book groups talking about "Dance." I
          highly recommend the book.

          Nancy

          Polly Trout wrote:

          > I LOVED this book, it is fabulous. Which reminds me -- I want to start
          > a social justice book group, is anyone else interested in this? We can
          > start with this one. I was thinking about waiting until September to
          > start since it is hard for people to schedule things over the summer.
          > Or, we can just get started. If you are interested in participating,
          > you can email me at polly@...
          > <mailto:polly%40seattleeducationaccess.org>. Other books that
          > would be great for the book group would be "Mountains Beyond
          > Mountains" or "Bridging the Class Divide."
          >
          > Sam, I will call you Wednesday.
          >
          > Best wishes,
          >
          > Polly
          >
          > On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Rachel Adams
          > <rachela@... <mailto:rachela%40youthinfocus.org>> wrote:
          > > Hi Nonprofitters,
          > >
          > > I just finished reading a book that is extremely pertinent to our
          > line of
          > > work. It's called "The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the
          > Nonprofit
          > > Industrial Complex" by Incite! Women of Color Against Violence. It
          > raises
          > > some very interesting points that I believe are very necessary for
          > anyone
          > > involved in any sort of advocacy, activism, community organizing or
          > social
          > > justice movements to consider and address in the work that we all do.
          > >
          > > I sincerely urge everyone to read it, and I'd love to talk to folks who
          > > have. I've got a million thoughts trapped in my head:
          > >
          > https://catalog.spl.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1M1209ET73437.11362&profile=dial&uri=full=3100001~
          > <https://catalog.spl.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1M1209ET73437.11362&profile=dial&uri=full=3100001%7E>!2452852~!7&ri=&menu=search&source=~!horizon&ipp=20&spp=20
          > >
          > http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Will-Not-Funded-Non-Profit/dp/0896087662/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212093266&sr=8-1
          > <http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Will-Not-Funded-Non-Profit/dp/0896087662/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212093266&sr=8-1>
          > > Sam Smith
          > > Freelance Project Manager
          > > Youth in Focus
          > > desk: 206.407.2125 yif: 723-1479
          > >

          > --
          > --------
          > Polly Trout, Ph.D.
          > Executive Director
          > Seattle Education Access
          > phone: 206-465-6342
          > fax: 206-523-1003
          >
          > Street Address:
          > 1406 NE 50th St. #202
          > Seattle, WA 98105
          >
          > Mailing Address
          > 6920 Roosevelt Way NE #355
          > Seattle, WA 98115
          >
          > Seattle Education Access provides higher education advocacy and
          > opportunity to people struggling to overcome poverty and adversity.
          > For more information, visit www.seattleeducationaccess.org.

          Nancy Bacon
          Program Director
          Bahia Street
          1005 NE Boat Street
          Seattle, WA 98105
          206.633.1724
          nancy@...
          www.bahiastreet.org

          Breaking cycles of poverty and violence through quality educational programs for impoverished girls and young women living in Salvador, Brazil...

          NOW AVAILABLE... Bahia Street co-founder Margaret Willson's new book-- Dance Lest We All Fall Down-- is a true story, a tale of hope, inspiration, courage, passion and intrigue. Just released, it follows in the genre of such works as Tracy Kidder’s Mountains Beyond Mountains and Greg Mortenson’s Three Cups of Tea Readers are already describing Dance Lest We All Fall Down as “compelling,” “a real page-turner,” and “the most riveting book I’ve read in years.” Available through Cold Tree Press: www.coldtreepress.com/catalog/book/208.