Self-introduction: Putnam Barber

  • Putnam Barber
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hullo,

      I too think it's a good idea for members of the list to introduce themselves.

      I am President (and sole full-time staff member) of The Evergreen State Society, a ten-year-old Seattle nonprofit with the mission of improving the policy environment and information resources for nonprofits in Washington state and beyond.  You can find out more about this work at http://www.tess.org.  One resource we have created is an index of the Washington state government agencies whose programs affect nonprofits in some way; see http://www.tess.org/misc/gov2.html.

      We host a monthly breakfast meeting on the theme "Civil Society in Everyday Life" with a guest speaker and a small group of lively conversationalists.  The next meeting is Tuesday, June 5, from 8 to 9:30 am.  Our guest will be Hubert Locke, former dean of the graduate school of public affairs at UW.  We meet in the 1891 Room off the lobby of Bellarmine Hall (12th and Columbia) on the Seattle U Campus.  The Bellarmine Cafeteria sells breakfast items, coffee, etc.  There is no charge for attending; drop ins are welcome.  (I have a mailing list used only for announcing these meetings; anyone who would like to be on the list can send a "subscribe" request to CSEL-list-request@....)

      I also am the editor of the Nonprofit FAQ at http://www.nonprofits.org. This website includes a large number of articles on topics relevant to understanding and managing nonprofits (mostly focused on the US); for a complete list of topics, see http://www.nonprofits.org/npofaq.  Volunteers to help refine, add to and maintain the FAQ are very welcome.  Let me know if you have an interest in working on any of the topics.

      The TESS website has a resume attached and also connects to the text of several articles I've written for the Chronicle of Philanthropy and other media.

      Putnam Barber, President
      The Evergreen State Society
      PO Box 20682
      Seattle, WA  98102-0682