AWC/PS February Meeting: PDA for Pros - And the Rest of Us

  • Lynn Kuhlman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2002
      Association for Women in Computing - Puget Sound Chapter

      Meeting Overview:

      Handsprings� and Palm Pilots� and PocketPCs� - oh my! If you've got to
      have one - but don't know which - or want to know more about this exciting
      technology, this is an event you will not want to miss. Some of the
      topics will include:

      - Why choose one brand over another?
      - What about wireless?
      - How "unconnected" can we get?
      - Will cell phones merge with PDA's?
      - What software is available for each?
      - What does the future hold for the PDA?
      - Will they be as ubiquitous as the cell phone?

      Join us as we welcome several experts in the handheld device arena:

      - Greg Gaub, formerly in technical support for a modem company, currently
      a stay-at-home dad scouring PDA web sites. Greg is a self-taught Palm
      expert and webmaster/listserv administrator for the local Palm user group
      (http://www.seapug.com).
      - Beth Goza, who currently works in the Mobile Devices Division for the
      Microsoft Corporation, focusing on enthusiast and influential efforts in
      the both the PDA and Smartphone space. Her recent activities have
      included traveling on two national demonstration tours, hosting an
      international conference on Mobile Devices, and keeping Pocket PC
      owners in the loop through Club Pocket PC. Prior to joining Microsoft
      in 1998, Miss Goza taught English to Seniors and Juniors in the Mill
      Creek area.
      - Bill Landon, Founder and Senior Editor of http://www.MaximumPDA.com,
      Board Member and webmaster of the Puget Sound Handheld Users Group
      (http://www.pshug.org/). He has been working with computers for 16
      years and web designing for the last 4 years. Bill believes
      that in the near future carrying a PDA for daily use will be as
      commonplace as a pager or cell phone is today.
      - Tom Forsyth, is currently the Test Manager for Palm, Inc.
      (http://www.palm.com) Tom is located here in Bellevue and is
      responsible for the verification of test and design on all Palm
      Wireless products. He worked on the first wireless PDA, the Palm
      VII and the newest entry, the i705. Tom has worked at WordStar
      and Intuit prior to joining Palm. He is also a Board Member of
      MusicWorks Northwest.

      Why Should You Attend?
      - To decide if you should trade in your paper planner for a PDA
      - To hear about features of - and software for - the various PDA
      options
      - To see product demos
      - To meet and network with fellow IT professionals
      - Great Door prize - Palm Pilot VIIx to be given away at the meeting!

      Meeting Specifics

      Date - Tuesday, February 19th, 2002
      Time - Networking begins at 6PM; Dinner at 6:30; Panel Discussion
      7:00PM-8:00PM.
      Location - Best Western Executive Inn, 200 Taylor Avenue North, Seattle
      (206) 448-9444
      Cost - $20 for AWC members; $35 for non-members (dinner and program) For
      program only, member cost is $10; non-member cost is $15.

      -By check, we must receive your payment at our P.O. Box by Thursday,
      February 14, 2002
      -By credit card - we must receive payment confirmation by Monday,
      February 18th.

      Register online at http://www.scn.org/awc/test/register.htm leave voicemail
      at (206) 781-7315. Send your check to the address below by the due date
      noted above to: AWC/PS, P.O. Box 179, Seattle, WA 98111 or pay by
      credit card on our site via PayPal.