Coalition for Refugees from Burma is hiring!
- We are hiring for the position of Early Childhood Education Instructor, who will co-teach in our Family Literacy program. The job description appears below, and is also attached to this email. Please help us spread the word to anyone who may be interested.COALITION FOR REFUGEES FROM BURMAFall 2013POSITION DESCRIPTIONPosition: Early Childhood Education InstructorPotential Locations: Kent, Tukwila (to be determined).Hours: 17 hours per week.Compensation: $18 per hourBackground: The Coalition for Refugees from Burma (CRB) has been helping refugees from Burma since 2006. Established as a Mutual Assistance Association and registered 501c(3) in 2009, CRB’s goal is to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate humanitarian and social support services to improve the living conditions and quality of life of resettled refugees. CRB intentionally reaches across ethnic, religious and language barriers to foster community cohesion and build capacity.Scope of Work: CRB’s Family Literacy program serves refugee parents with preschool-aged children. Parents receive targeted English Language Instruction and Education Workshops on child development and school readiness topics, and children participate in an Early Childhood Education program, where they are introduced to the routines, procedures and protocols of a formal education setting. The main goal of the Family Literacy program is to encourage parents to be involved in their child’s education and to familiarize them and their children with the methods of teaching and learning practiced in America. This program operates three days a week, providing approximately 6.5 hours of language training and education to refugee participants. One program cycle lasts approximately three months.Position Summary: The Early Childhood Education (ECE) Instructor will teach the preschool component of the Family Literacy program. S/he will develop new curriculum and/or adapt curriculum developed by CRB for this program, as well as lead Family Reading Time, coordinate field trips, and participate in general program planning. S/he will also be responsible for student assessment, program reporting, and monitoring of program volunteers. S/he will work closely with the Adult Instructor, who will be responsible for teaching the adult portion of the program. S/he will be responsible for monitoring all ECE program supplies and materials to ensure the program runs smoothly at all times. Approximately 6.5 hours per week will be dedicated to instruction, and approximately 10.5 hours will be dedicated to developing curriculum, planning lessons, and other activities as specified below.Essential Job Functions:
- Lead morning Parent-And-Child-Together (PACT) time, including preparing classroom for exploratory play and planning routines for Circle Time.
- Plan and facilitate a “daily focus” for parents and children during Circle Time (describe an aspect of the classroom, the benefits of an activity, song, or toy, or teach parents about what children will learn in kindergarten, etc.)
- Develop and/or adapt an ECE curriculum for a multi-age preschool classroom.
- Develop and/or adapt lesson plans and appropriate instructional materials.
- Create a structured, clean and safe classroom environment for young children.
- Perform general set-up and clean-up duties before and after class.
- Provide appropriate, individualized instruction to students with a range of learning styles, educational experiences and ability levels.
- Work closely with the Adult Instructor to plan field trips and facilitate library visits and Family Reading Time.
- Oversee lending library, where students are able to borrow books from CRB library.
- Find opportunities to expose families to local resources by way of guest speakers (for example, from the Seattle Aquarium).
- Plan, conduct, and record student assessments at least twice during program cycle.
- Monitor student progress and challenges using classroom observation checklist.
- Keep detailed records of student attendance.
- Recruit, support and oversee program volunteers for the early childhood education portion of the Family Literacy program.
- Assist Program Manager to finalize reports at the conclusion of a program cycle.
- Monitor ECE program supplies and work with Program Manager to procure supplies and materials in a timely manner.
- Abide by all of CRB’s established protocols, codes of conduct and procedures.
To apply for this position, please send resume and statement of interest to kirstengabele@....Coalition for Refugees from Burma promotes the self-sufficiency of all resettled refugees by helping them access services and educational opportunities while preserving traditional customsKirsten Gabele
- A BA in Early Childhood Education or related field (progressive work experience in the ECE field may substitute for degree).
- A minimum of 45 credit hours in Early Childhood Education required.
- A valid Washington State teaching certificate desired.
- An endorsement in early childhood education (pre-K - grade 3) desired.
- A minimum of two years of documented experience teaching preschool-aged students and English Language Learners required.
- Documented experience facilitating assessments to preschool-aged children.
- Demonstrated experience designing curriculum, creating daily lesson plans, implementing daily routines and creating appropriate instructional materials.
- A background in volunteer management desired.
- Ability to adapt teaching strategy to changing situations.
- A demonstrated teaching style that is patient, compassionate and caring towards students.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- At least three professional references required.
Education Programs Manager
Coalition for Refugees from Burma
1265 S. Main St., Suite #309, Seattle, WA 98144
T: 1.253.223.0480 | kirstengabele@...