RE: [Nonprofit Networking Group] my printer is dead

  • Claire Petersky
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013

      Put something up on Donate Seattle: www.donateseattle.org. You’ll get random office supplies this way. Not toner, but I’ve gotten odds and ends over the years – binder clips, staplers, things like that.

      Then: over the years, I’ve gotten a lot of office supplies from UW Surplus. It’s the end of the term, so lots of UW departments are clearing out their closets – this is the time of year to go.

      For example: I got 10,000 sheets (an enormous case) of buff paper for just a few bucks one year. For a while, I swapped with another nonprofit who could use buff, for white; we printed everything that didn’t need to be on white, on buff. When we got to the end of the buff a few months ago, it felt like the end of an era.

      Another example: a beautiful, heavy maple wood paper cutter, for basically nothing. It couldn’t cut through a single sheet, but a volunteer rebalanced and adjusted it for free – didn’t even need sharpening – and now it cuts through all sorts of paper just fine.

      All our furniture that wasn’t donated? We got from UW surplus. I’m right now, as I type, using at a UW Surplus $10 flat screen monitor, sitting on a UW Surplus $50 extremely comfy executive chair, at a UW surplus $15 desk. The computer I’m using is connected to the server with a $2 UW Surplus network cable.

      They have toner and ink, too, but it’s a real crap shoot if they have what you want. Be sure to write down what it is that you’re looking for before you go. Also, don’t rely on what they have on line, as it can be gone by the time you arrive. Call, make sure the item is there, then ask them to hold it for you. Part of the fun, though, is rummaging when you get there. You never know what’s going to show up.

      What’s new is over yonder: https://www.washington.edu/facilities/finadmin/movingandsurplus/inventory/new-items

      You have to be 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and they have some other requirements. Look on their site to find out what they are.

      Good luck.

      Warm Regards,

      Claire Petersky

      Executive Director

      claire@...

      425-369-9120

      Eastside Friends of Seniors

      www.eastsidefriendsofseniors.org

      1121 228th Ave SE, Sammamish WA 98075

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
        Also UW Surplus down near U Village.

        http://www.washington.edu/facilities/finadmin/movingandsurplus/inventory/index

        Open Tuesdays 12- 6pm for anyone  and Non-Profits: M-F, 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
          Where and when is King County Surplus?

          I only come up with auctions when I google it.

          Is there a store website?

          db

          On 6/25/2013 3:00 PM, Christine Lindquist, MPH wrote:
          Shawn, are you hooked up to King County Surplus? That's where we get our office equipment. It wouldn't help you with the toner issue, but I'm sure that they have desktop printers.

          -Christine