Re: [Nonprofit Networking Group] Raffle Tickets

  • andrea_johnsmith
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
      They sell them at office depot.

      From: "Lisa Bloch" <lab@...>
      To: NonprofitNetworking@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 7:32:38 AM
      Subject: [Nonprofit Networking Group] Raffle Tickets

      Anybody have a source for printing (or buying) numbered, two-part, raffle tickets?

      Lisa Bloch
      lab@...

    • Lisa Bloch
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 15, 2013
        > 1b. Re: Raffle Tickets
        > Posted by: "Claire Petersky" claire@... cpetersky
        > Date: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:40 pm ((PDT))
        >
        > Do you need something special? Because you can buy a roll of raffle tickets
        > at an office supply store pretty for cheap:
        > http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/563865/MMF-Double-Ticket-Roll-2000Roll
        > -Red/

        Apparently, we need something special: "The raffle means special tickets with all the rules and individual numbers printed on the ticket. I need to have your input on the price of tickets, which needs to be printed on the ticket. Marilyn has agreed to proof the tickets to make sure they meet the requirements." I'm not sure whose requirements they are, but given who's proofing them, I'm guessing Washington State.

        Anyone else encountered this?

        Lisa Bloch
        lab@...
      • Claire Petersky
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013

          Generally, the rules are here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=230-11

          The rules may be printed on the ticket – or, they can be otherwise provided in writing. See: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=230-11-015 Let’s say you’re raffling something at a fund-raising event. You can print the raffle rules in the fundraising event program, and then you’ve satisfied the requirement. Or, let’s say you’re selling the raffle tickets at a booth at a community fair. You can have some written copies of the rules for your raffle available as a handout to the people you’re selling to. You do not need to have the rules printed on the ticket.

          What you do need printed on the ticket are the individual consecutive numbers – the kinds in the rolls that you buy at Office Depot meet this requirement. (There’s ways not to have consecutive numbers, but they’re not worth pursuing when consecutive numbers are so easy to do.)

          We held a raffle once for a work of art, and did have them special-printed, because a requirement of the donor of the grand prize was to have the item pictured, in color, with a description of the item and artist, on the ticket. The tickets were relatively large. When you go that far, you might as well put the rules of the raffle on the ticket. According to our records, it cost us about $132 for 250 tickets, and we just went to our local printer to make them for us.

          > Do you need something special? Because you can buy a roll of raffle tickets
          > at an office supply store pretty for cheap:
          > http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/563865/MMF-Double-Ticket-Roll-2000Roll
          > -Red/

          Apparently, we need something special: "The raffle means special tickets with all the rules and individual numbers printed on the ticket. I need to have your input on the price of tickets, which needs to be printed on the ticket. Marilyn has agreed to proof the tickets to make sure they meet the requirements." I'm not sure whose requirements they are, but given who's proofing them, I'm guessing Washington State.

          Anyone else encountered this?

          Lisa Bloch
          lab@...

        • Jeannette Privat
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013
            The rules of the Washington State Gambling Commission about raffles are at http://www.wsgc.wa.gov/faq/raffles_faq.asp.  They include a way to contact them if your questions aren't answered there.

            Jeannette M. Privat
            Nonprofit & Philanthropy Resource Center
            Redmond Library
            15990 NE 85th
            Redmond, WA  98052
                 425-885-1861
                 206-296-5067  Fax
                      jeanpriv@...
                      www.kcls.org/philanthropy

            > Do you need something special? Because you can buy a roll of raffle tickets
            > at an office supply store pretty for cheap:

            http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/563865/MMF-Double-Ticket-Roll-2000Roll
            > -Red/

            Apparently, we need something special: "The raffle means special tickets with all the rules and individual numbers printed on the ticket. I need to have your input on the price of tickets, which needs to be printed on the ticket. Marilyn has agreed to proof the tickets to make sure they meet the requirements." I'm not sure whose requirements they are, but given who's proofing them, I'm guessing Washington State.

            Anyone else encountered this?

            Lisa Bloch
            lab@...

          • Terri Gaines
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013
              You might want to consider a custom print solution from PSPrint.com - https://www.psprint.com/event-tickets - even though custom, its a low cost solution.

              You can have a custom designed ticket, with the rules, perfed with individual consecutive numbering duplicated on each side of the perf. This would be perfect for raffles, especially of high value items with higher ticket prices.

              Terri Gaines
              Nonprofit marketing consultant

              On Jun 17, 2013, at 12:41 PM, Claire Petersky wrote:

              Generally, the rules are here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=230-11

              The rules may be printed on the ticket – or, they can be otherwise provided in writing. See: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=230-11-015 Let’s say you’re raffling something at a fund-raising event. You can print the raffle rules in the fundraising event program, and then you’ve satisfied the requirement. Or, let’s say you’re selling the raffle tickets at a booth at a community fair. You can have some written copies of the rules for your raffle available as a handout to the people you’re selling to. You do not need to have the rules printed on the ticket.

              What you do need printed on the ticket are the individual consecutive numbers – the kinds in the rolls that you buy at Office Depot meet this requirement. (There’s ways not to have consecutive numbers, but they’re not worth pursuing when consecutive numbers are so easy to do.)

              We held a raffle once for a work of art, and did have them special-printed, because a requirement of the donor of! the grand prize was to have the item pictured, in color, with a description of the item and artist, on the ticket. The tickets were relatively large. When you go that far, you might as well put the rules of the raffle on the ticket. According to our records, it cost us about $132 for 250 tickets, and we just went to our local printer to make them for us.

              > Do you need something special? Because you can buy a roll of raffle tickets
              > at an office supply store pretty for cheap:
              > http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/563865/MMF-Double-Ticket-Roll-2000Roll
              > -Red/

              Apparently, we need something special: "The raffle means special tickets with all the rules and individual numbers printed on the ticket. I need to have your input on the price of tickets, which needs to be printed on the ticket. Marilyn has agreed to proof the t! ickets to make sure they meet the requirements." I'm not sure whose requirements they are, but given who's proofing them, I'm guessing Washington State.

              Anyone else encountered this?

              Lisa Bloch
              lab@...

            • Kristine Cunningham
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013
                Hi- I work for a small NP (600K) and seeking a skilled bookkeeper.  Anybody have someone you're really happy with?

                Ideally he or she would do monthly reconciliations, quarterly filings, hopefully 990. Thank you all!

                Kristine Cunningham

                To: NonprofitNetworking@yahoogroups.com
                From: lab@...
                Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 07:05:43 -0700

                > 1b. Re: Raffle Tickets
                > Posted by: "Claire Petersky" claire@... cpetersky
                > Date: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:40 pm ((PDT))
                >
                > Do you need something special? Because you can buy a roll of raffle tickets
                > at an office supply store pretty for cheap:
                > http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/563865/MMF-Double-Ticket-Roll-2000Roll
                > -Red/

                Apparently, we need something special: "The raffle means special tickets with all the rules and individual numbers printed on the ticket. I need to have your input on the price of tickets, which needs to be printed on the ticket. Marilyn has agreed to proof the tickets to make sure they meet the requirements." I'm not sure whose requirements they are, but given who's proofing them, I'm guessing Washington State.

                Anyone else encountered this?

                Lisa Bloch
                lab@...

              • Ken Ristine
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013
                  There is a whole list of gambling activities that the Washington State Gambling Commission regulates. For raffles there is a special page at http://www.wsgc.wa.gov/gambling/raffles.asp

                  There are even rule for running such things as promotional poker tournaments, etc.

                  Having dealt with them about rule setting in the past, they are very concerned that nonprofits realize that they are accountable for how those activities are run.

                  If you are just doing a door prize type drawing you probably have some leeway...but if it is a multi-day or week event where tickets will be sold outside the one time and place, you should look at all these rules about raffles.

                  Regards,

                  Ken Ristine
                  kenristine@...

                  To: NonprofitNetworking@yahoogroups.com
                  From: lab@...
                  Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 07:05:43 -0700

                  > 1b. Re: Raffle Tickets
                  > Posted by: "Claire Petersky" claire@... cpetersky
                  > Date: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:40 pm ((PDT))
                  >
                  > Do you need something special? Because you can buy a roll of raffle tickets
                  > at an office supply store pretty for cheap:
                  > http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/563865/MMF-Double-Ticket-Roll-2000Roll
                  > -Red/

                  Apparently, we need something special: "The raffle means special tickets with all the rules and individual numbers printed on the ticket. I need to have your input on the price of tickets, which needs to be printed on the ticket. Marilyn has agreed to proof the tickets to make sure they meet the requirements." I'm not sure whose requirements they are, but given who's proofing them, I'm guessing Washington State.

                  Anyone else encountered this?

                  Lisa Bloch
                  lab@...

                • Scott Hayman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013
                    501 Commons offers these services to NPOs.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    To: NonprofitNetworking@yahoogroups.com
                    From: lab@...
                    Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 07:05:43 -0700

                    > 1b. Re: Raffle Tickets
                    > Posted by: "Claire Petersky" claire@... cpetersky
                    > Date: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:40 pm ((PDT))
                    >
                    > Do you need something special? Because you can buy a roll of raffle tickets
                    > at an office supply store pretty for cheap:
                    > http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/563865/MMF-Double-Ticket-Roll-2000Roll
                    > -Red/

                    Apparently, we need something special: "The raffle means special tickets with all the rules and individual numbers printed on the ticket. I need to have your input on the price of tickets, which needs to be printed on the ticket. Marilyn has agreed to proof the tickets to make sure they meet the requirements." I'm not sure whose requirements they are, but given who's proofing them, I'm guessing Washington State.

                    Anyone else encountered this?

                    Lisa Bloch
                    lab@...

                  • jaideborah