13053Train the Trainer: Strategies for Facilitating Conversations on Race
- Jul 9, 2014Cultures Connecting presents...Train the Trainer: Strategies for Facilitating Conversations on RaceRegister: www.CulturesConnecting.com/upcomingevents.htmlThursday and Friday, August 13th-14th, 20148:30am Check-in and light breakfast9:00am-4:30pm WorkshopSeattle, WA 98044Through engaging and interactive exercises, you'll learn helpful strategies and tips on how to successfully present sensitive information to a wide audience of learners. You will develop skills to take difficult conversations about race, privilege and power to a deeper level and learn strategies for working with resistance. The two-day workshop will give you time to practice applying the strategies in a variety of scenarios.Both experienced and novice trainers are encouraged to attend and will learn new tools. However, participants in this workshop should have awareness of your own biases, privileges and internalized oppression, as well as some knowledge of institutional racism and white privilege in the United States. The more personal work you have done to understand these issues, the more you will get out of this workshop as a facilitator.The skills developed in this two-day intensive are valuable for individuals who want to further equity work in their communities. Organizations committed to instituting systemic change will also benefit by training a cohort of internal trainers to provide on-going, culturally relevant professional development for staff.Participants in this workshop receive a free copy of our Train the Trainer workbook, filled with take-away resources and valued at $17.95.Participants will...
FacilitatorsCaprice D. Hollins, Psy.D. and Ilsa Govan, M.A.Cost$250Includes free Train the Trainer book, a light breakfast and afternoon snacks.Registrationculturesconnecting.com/upcomingevents.html
- Gain tips for creating a welcoming environment.
- Learn ways to establish credibility and build relationships with participants.
- Identify your own triggers and learn strategies to engage people when they are triggered.
- Develop skills for handling common pitfalls and resistance.
- Explore different dynamics for facilitators of color and white facilitators.
- Cultivate the ability to address cultural tensions and conflict.
- Notice and address common expressions of white privilege in workshop dynamics.
- Next post in topic >>