12456Re: [Nonprofit Networking Group] Supervisor Feedback Question

  • Bonnie Bizzell
    Dec 17, 2013
      Hi Danielle:

      I think one of the issues with "names attached" feedback is that supervisors are in an authoritative position over those providing feedback.  Although retaliation may not occur, it still could be perceived as happening through assignments given, future evaluations, or even day-to-day interactions (or even just saying "no" to a request).  And, importantly, subordinates may not provide honest feedback if names are attached - especially in an economic climate where new jobs may be difficult to obtain.  If an employee is not comfortable providing feedback directly to the supervisor informally, then forcing feedback is not likely to be very helpful.

      As you mentioned, the most reputable way to provide feedback to supervisors is to collectively and anonymously gather information (e.g. surveys - but always allow for comments.  HR could also interview folks (particularly those leaving) about perceptions.

      Still flawed, one of the best ways is through a 360 review, but I would not do it if the supervisor is not going to take the lessons to heart.  Here's some online info:

      Let me know if I can help more with this issue; I've got an MBA in Change Management, over 10 years experience managing a temp work force of over 350 people per year, and am surveyed about my performance yearly.

      Good luck!

      Bonnie

      bluebayou2@...