12453Re: [Nonprofit Networking Group] Supervisor Feedback Question

  • Gretchen Frankenstein
    Dec 17, 2013
      Danielle, I have assisted with this issue in the past informally. The problem, of course, is that of anticipated retaliation, real or imagined. The supervisor holds all the power. Unless you have very enlightened upper management, it will always back up the supervisor, not the employee. Since evaluations are often used as weapons (I personally think they should be thrown out in favor of monthly checkups or something else) and employees know this, it would be unfair to attach names to evaluations of supervisors unless you are working for a very enlightened organization. Or, do this with one year and then track what supervisors do to employees the following year on their evaluations.

      That said, it is an excellent idea if you can make it work. Soooo much dysfunction in an organization is due to poor management. It's the reason I don't do much with nonprofits anymore.

      On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Danielle Baird <daniellekbaird@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      I'm wondering if anyone has experience collecting feedback from employees about their direct supervisor with employees' "names attached"?

      In this case, feedback would be related to the employees' perceptions of the quality of supervision they've received from their supervisor.

      The organization I am working with feels strongly that because supervisors deliver feedback to their employees directly (annual performance reviews and regular one-on-one meetings to discuss employees' performance), it is only fair that employees give their supervisor this same courtesy.

      My experience is only with subordinates providing anonymous feedback to their managers. I'd love to hear if others have successfully gathered this data without the anonymity.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic