KERR and THOM families

  • demuth@frontiernet.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2001
      Hi Michael –
      As you noticed I have uploaded some JPEG, (picture) files regarding
      your family. I can't stop the messages announcing file uploads going
      out to all members. I wish I could find a way to stop this as it
      just adds to all the "junk" email I get already. Anyway----

      The up loaded files are some of the pages from the Rose history book
      that you asked about. There also is two pages from the local history
      book, Memorial Record of Southwestern Minnesota, pub. 1897. Also in
      this book, right next to the Kerr family is the Thom family. They
      were from the same area in Houston Co. MN as the Kerr family. (On a
      personal note; I all so lived in Houston Co. for a few year, totally
      different country that here. Houston is rolling hills and river
      bluffs. A lot of sandstone hills and hard wood forest. They moved
      to Nobles County that is as flat as any place I have seen, but better
      farm land and this was bounty land for Civil War Vets.) I see that a
      Kerr married a Thom later on. There are several members or past
      members that have put together a Thom family history, I will try to
      get you there names and address if you are interested. We do have
      the Thom book in our library.

      B. W. Kerr was in the 1888 Plat book of Nobles County, following is
      his entry:
      B. W. Kerr, Farmer in Section 12 of Olney Twp., Born in IL 1850,
      moved to Nobles Co. in 1876.

      I hope this information helps you in your research. If you have
      problems opening the files that were uploaded please let me know.

      If anyone else has any more information please post for Michael.
      Pat Demuth

    • miller_mw@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 11, 2001
        Thank you SO MUCH for this information. It is great! It shows me
        that Daniel Kerr moved to Illinois sometime in 1848, from Scotland,
        no less. Priceless information! My great grandfather, Bryce, was
        born two years later and then moved with his family to Houston county
        sometime before 1860. From there, I know that Daniel obtained a land
        patent in 1875 for 80, presumably in Adrian, where my Uncle had a
        farm when I was a kid. You don't know how exciting this is to me. I
        owe you a great debt. How can I help your effort?

        Michael Miller

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2001
          Hi Michael -
          Glad we could help.

          In the "Bookmarks" section of the NCGG forum site there is a link to a site
          that has the land patent records: http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/

          Pat, Lynette, Buzz Lightyear and Natalie Demuth

> [...]

          > problems opening the files that were uploaded please let me know.
          >
          > If anyone else has any more information please post for Michael.
          > Pat Demuth
          >

          > --- In NoblesCountyMN@y..., miller_mw@y... wrote:
          > > I am new at this. My dad is from Minnesota and I have found his
          > > great great grandfather, who moved from Coles Cnty, IL to Houston
          > > County, MN sometime between 1850 and 1860. From there he or one
          of
          > > his desendents moved to Worthington, because my grandmother was
          > from
          > > there. I still have relatives (or did in the 1970s) in the
          area.
          > > saw the index from the Nobles County History that was mentioned
          in
          > > one of the recent forum emails and found lots of names that are
          > > familiar, all Kerrs. How do I find information on them? Any help

        • adrianlb
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 17, 2002
            Michael,

            I saw your listing. We have a new
            local book for Adrian, MN - 1876-2001

            Pate 114

            ROBERT and ELIZABETH THOM

            Robert D. Thom and Elizabeth Murphy
            were married November 17, 1902, in
            Adrian, MN. Robert was born May 4,
            1878, died December 10, 1961, in
            Adrian, MN.

            He was born in Aurora Township,
            Steele County, MN. Elizabeth was
            born November 13, 1883, in Adrian,
            MN, and died October 23, 1964, in
            Adrian, MN. They are buried in
            St. Adrian Cemetery.

            Robert Thom's father, Alexander M.
            Thom, was born in Leslie, Aberdeenshire,
            Scotland, and married Lelia Scott on
            October 8, 1876, in Owatanna, Steele
            County, MN. Alexander was born March 13,
            1854, and died January 13, 1939, in
            Omaha, Nebraska. Lelia was born in 1859
            and died December 26, 1884, in Owatonna,
            MN. Lelia came from Fly Creek, NY.
            Alexander then married Hattie C.
            Smith in Worthington, MN, at the ME
            Church. Hattie was born in Ashtalula, Ohio,
            on May 3, 1861, and died April 11, 1954,
            in Omaha, NE.

            Elizabeth Murphy Thom's father was Joseph
            G. Murphy. Joseph was born at Portage,
            WI, on September 13, 1855, and came to
            Nobles county in 1877. He married Bridget
            C. Ryan, in Rochester, MN, on January 16,
            1883. Joseph was an implement dealer in
            Adrian and was elected County Commissioner
            of Dist. 3 in 1900 & 1904. Joseph and Bridget
            had two daughters: Elizabeth (Mrs. Robert Thom),
            and Mary (Mrs. Joseph Lenz).

            The children of Robert D. Thom and Elizabeth
            Thom were:

            Baby Thom
            Lelia (m. Jepsen)
            Elizabeth