Looking for Kerr

  • miller_mw@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2001
      I am new at this. My dad is from Minnesota and I have found his
      great great grandfather, who moved from Coles Cnty, IL to Houston
      County, MN sometime between 1850 and 1860. From there he or one of
      his desendents moved to Worthington, because my grandmother was from
      there. I still have relatives (or did in the 1970s) in the area. I
      saw the index from the Nobles County History that was mentioned in
      one of the recent forum emails and found lots of names that are
      familiar, all Kerrs. How do I find information on them? Any help
      would be appreciated.

      Michael Miller
    • demuth@frontiernet.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2001
        Hi Michael -
        I would be happy to look up the Kerr info. and forward it to you. I
        will look it up later today and send it to you later.
        Pat

      • demuth@frontiernet.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2001
          Hi Michael –
          As you noticed I have uploaded some JPEG, (picture) files regarding
          your family. I can't stop the messages announcing file uploads going
          out to all members. I wish I could find a way to stop this as it
          just adds to all the "junk" email I get already. Anyway----

          The up loaded files are some of the pages from the Rose history book
          that you asked about. There also is two pages from the local history
          book, Memorial Record of Southwestern Minnesota, pub. 1897. Also in
          this book, right next to the Kerr family is the Thom family. They
          were from the same area in Houston Co. MN as the Kerr family. (On a
          personal note; I all so lived in Houston Co. for a few year, totally
          different country that here. Houston is rolling hills and river
          bluffs. A lot of sandstone hills and hard wood forest. They moved
          to Nobles County that is as flat as any place I have seen, but better
          farm land and this was bounty land for Civil War Vets.) I see that a
          Kerr married a Thom later on. There are several members or past
          members that have put together a Thom family history, I will try to
          get you there names and address if you are interested. We do have
          the Thom book in our library.

          B. W. Kerr was in the 1888 Plat book of Nobles County, following is
          his entry:
          B. W. Kerr, Farmer in Section 12 of Olney Twp., Born in IL 1850,
          moved to Nobles Co. in 1876.

          I hope this information helps you in your research. If you have
          problems opening the files that were uploaded please let me know.

          If anyone else has any more information please post for Michael.
          Pat Demuth

        • miller_mw@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2001
            Thank you SO MUCH for this information. It is great! It shows me
            that Daniel Kerr moved to Illinois sometime in 1848, from Scotland,
            no less. Priceless information! My great grandfather, Bryce, was
            born two years later and then moved with his family to Houston county
            sometime before 1860. From there, I know that Daniel obtained a land
            patent in 1875 for 80, presumably in Adrian, where my Uncle had a
            farm when I was a kid. You don't know how exciting this is to me. I
            owe you a great debt. How can I help your effort?

            Michael Miller

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2001
              Hi Michael -
              Glad we could help.

              In the "Bookmarks" section of the NCGG forum site there is a link to a site
              that has the land patent records: http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/

              Pat, Lynette, Buzz Lightyear and Natalie Demuth

> [...]

              > problems opening the files that were uploaded please let me know.
              >
              > If anyone else has any more information please post for Michael.
              > Pat Demuth
              >

              > --- In NoblesCountyMN@y..., miller_mw@y... wrote:
              > > I am new at this. My dad is from Minnesota and I have found his
              > > great great grandfather, who moved from Coles Cnty, IL to Houston
              > > County, MN sometime between 1850 and 1860. From there he or one
              of
              > > his desendents moved to Worthington, because my grandmother was
              > from
              > > there. I still have relatives (or did in the 1970s) in the
              area.
              > > saw the index from the Nobles County History that was mentioned
              in
              > > one of the recent forum emails and found lots of names that are
              > > familiar, all Kerrs. How do I find information on them? Any help

            • adrianlb
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 17, 2002
                Michael,

                I saw your listing. We have a new
                local book for Adrian, MN - 1876-2001

                Pate 114

                ROBERT and ELIZABETH THOM

                Robert D. Thom and Elizabeth Murphy
                were married November 17, 1902, in
                Adrian, MN. Robert was born May 4,
                1878, died December 10, 1961, in
                Adrian, MN.

                He was born in Aurora Township,
                Steele County, MN. Elizabeth was
                born November 13, 1883, in Adrian,
                MN, and died October 23, 1964, in
                Adrian, MN. They are buried in
                St. Adrian Cemetery.

                Robert Thom's father, Alexander M.
                Thom, was born in Leslie, Aberdeenshire,
                Scotland, and married Lelia Scott on
                October 8, 1876, in Owatanna, Steele
                County, MN. Alexander was born March 13,
                1854, and died January 13, 1939, in
                Omaha, Nebraska. Lelia was born in 1859
                and died December 26, 1884, in Owatonna,
                MN. Lelia came from Fly Creek, NY.
                Alexander then married Hattie C.
                Smith in Worthington, MN, at the ME
                Church. Hattie was born in Ashtalula, Ohio,
                on May 3, 1861, and died April 11, 1954,
                in Omaha, NE.

                Elizabeth Murphy Thom's father was Joseph
                G. Murphy. Joseph was born at Portage,
                WI, on September 13, 1855, and came to
                Nobles county in 1877. He married Bridget
                C. Ryan, in Rochester, MN, on January 16,
                1883. Joseph was an implement dealer in
                Adrian and was elected County Commissioner
                of Dist. 3 in 1900 & 1904. Joseph and Bridget
                had two daughters: Elizabeth (Mrs. Robert Thom),
                and Mary (Mrs. Joseph Lenz).

                The children of Robert D. Thom and Elizabeth
                Thom were:

                Baby Thom
                Lelia (m. Jepsen)
                Elizabeth