Old Photo - Need help placing people and car make.

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2009
      I have posted another photo to the Yahoo Groups website that the
      historical society would like help with. We do not know who these
      ladies are or the make or approximate year of the automobile. We also
      don't what the brick building is that is used as a back drop. There is
      a link below but may not work. If the link does not work you can see
      the photo by going to the Yahoo Groups site at:
      And clicking "photos" in the left menu bar on the left side of the screen.
      Pat

      Link to photo:
    • Robert Rohrer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2009
        Clue: notice the fauna on the side of the building: The number of brick buildings with plant growing up the side in that era is limited. Amongst the buildings that I think may have had such fauna are the Nobles County Court House, the Nobles County Sheriffs Office building and possibly part of the medical clinic - hospital facility. There were probably others. Some local residences probably were brick and had such fauna.

        2nd Clue: Notice the railing and lower than ground window or doorlike structure at the back of the vehicle. This appears to me to be a lower level stairway access to basement level.

        Attached are two photos of the Nobles County Court house. One shows some fauna on the sides. The other photo shows a railing to a basement entrance.

        If this photo is taken near the Sheriff's office, is this the Sheriff' family? Or the family of another Worthington or Nobles County dignitary.

        Regards,
        Bob Rohrer

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/NoblesCoun tyMN/
        And clicking "photos" in the left menu bar on the left side of the screen.
        Pat

        Link to photo:
        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/NoblesCoun tyMN/photos/ album/1196748045 /pic/802524791/ view?picmode= &mode=tn& order=ordinal& start=1&count= 20&dir=asc

      • seatownsd
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
          I enjoy so much the photos & other material in this newsgroup.

          Can't help you solve the mystery of "who" & "where" -- but I have a
          guess about "where." From what I can recall from so many years ago,
          the photo looks to me like it could be the old Carnegie Libary. I
          don't recall it being covered in ivy or any other flora, but this photo
          would have been taken perhaps decades before I was a daily customer
          there. The basement door/railing looks to me just like the entrance to
          the old children's library, & the sidewalk & 1st floor windows match up
          with what I recall too.

          Carole Towne Seaton

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
            Attached is a photo of that old Carnegie Library building.

            The windows of the old Carnegie Library do not match up with the photo we are trying to identify.

            It should be noted that the vehicle is one that is an above average cost vehicle and thus is likely the vehicle of an above average wealth person.

            Another noted oddity is that there are FOUR women in the vehicle and NO men.

            I suspect that the vehicle is late 1920's. Does anyone know for sure?

            These clues would lead me to believe that these women in the vehicle are the wife, children and Mother ( or Mother-in-Law) of a local wealthy dignitary.

            Regards,
            Bob Rohrer

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
              I just noticed something on another photo that may be a clue to the photo of the four ladies in a car.

              A car, of that vintage, similar if not same model and same color scheme is parked in front of the Court House on Tenth Street in another postcard photo.

              This photo exists on a beveled wooden backing and was purchased from Gordon Drug and was amongst the estate of my Dad, Roger D Rohrer.

              The photo is attached.

              I am of the opinion that this is the very same car as in the photo with the four women in it.

              If it is, then the fact that it is parked near the court house at a different time suggests that it is a vehicle belonging to wither the photographer, or someone who often has that vehicle near the court house.

              Regards,
              Bob Rohrer