Re: Kemper

  • Vicki Garro
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
      I would sift through the microfilms that the first reader mentioned. Keep in mind many of these small town newspapers had sections of "neighborhood" news. So don't stop at the obituary. You may miss the first hand account of the funeral from your ancestor's friend "who happened to write for the newspaper". You may also miss who attened the funeral, who should have been there, "who took care of the cows" while others traveled, etc.

      Yes, I know it is time consuming to read all these papers, but you can't believe the tidbits you will find. I usually read from the death date until about 2-3 weeks later to make sure I don't miss anything.

      Vicki
    • Terri Mindock
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
        There is also another newspaper site: GenealogyBank
        It costs about $20/month (I think) but I think the subscription length is only a month. So you can end it at any time. I have memberships to both GenealogyBank and NewspaperArchive and have not come across the same articles in both sites.

        Terri Mindock
        Lane-Blood Genealogy

        kemperkamp <kemperkamp@...> wrote:
        I am putting together a book for my husband relating to his family
        history. His mother and father are both gone as are his grandparents,
        which limit the family resources I have. Does anyone have suggestions
        on how to get obits and newspaper clippings relating to his family? I
        am new to this and don't even know where to start.

        Thanks for any help you have to offer!

        Dana Kemper
        Worthington, MN

        _