Re: [NoblesCountyMN] Kemper

  • Cindy Roberts
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2006
      Just a side note about Ancestry.com. I do have the subscription, and there isn't much on there for the newspaper, same goes for Green Bay, WI.  It will bring up some deaths, births, marriages, but if you want the certificates you pay a pretty hefty price to get them. Ancestry is expensive enough without paying for all the certificates. I do know from searching and also a friend there searching that in one township all the obits were cut out of the papers and put in a folder. The only way to find them is by sitting there and sifting through them till you come up with the name you were looking for. Dana, if you do have any birth, death or marriage dates and you wish a little help to send you in the right direction, I would be more than happy to lend a hand and see what Ancestry has in it's files.

      Cindy
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
        I would sift through the microfilms that the first reader mentioned. Keep in mind many of these small town newspapers had sections of "neighborhood" news. So don't stop at the obituary. You may miss the first hand account of the funeral from your ancestor's friend "who happened to write for the newspaper". You may also miss who attened the funeral, who should have been there, "who took care of the cows" while others traveled, etc.

        Yes, I know it is time consuming to read all these papers, but you can't believe the tidbits you will find. I usually read from the death date until about 2-3 weeks later to make sure I don't miss anything.

        Vicki
      • hpatlak
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
          Dear Dana,
          There is a wonderful new website - www.newspaperarchive.com - they
          offer a free 7-day trial period. I found it so useful that I took a
          subscription for a year. It is much quicker in responding than
          Ancestry (which I use daily) - makes for easier for downloading.
          I found many more entries for my relatives at this site than at
          Ancestry.com!! Some of the papers (all .pdf for Adobe Reader) are
          all the way back to the early 1800's and to the present day. You can
          search by relatives name, or by city or county or state - by topic -
          whatever you want. New papers are added daily from USA to
          International. Here's what they claim: 1 Page Added Every Second,
          That's Over 80,000 Pages Per Day! The clicker just said: Currently
          Uploading Newspaper Page: 51,905,107 and it continues clicking!!

          I hope this helps you - if not email me for any other assistance.
          Helena

          --- In NoblesCountyMN@yahoogroups.com, "Cindy Roberts"
          <croberts@...> wrote:

          > Just a side note about Ancestry.com. I do have the subscription,
          and there isn't much on there for the newspaper, same goes for Green
          Bay, WI. It will bring up some deaths, births, marriages, but if
          you want the certificates you pay a pretty hefty price to get them.
          Ancestry is expensive enough without paying for all the
          certificates. I do know from searching and also a friend there
          searching that in one township all the obits were cut out of the
          papers and put in a folder. The only way to find them is by sitting
          there and sifting through them till you come up with the name you
          were looking for. Dana, if you do have any birth, death or marriage
          dates and you wish a little help to send you in the right direction,
          I would be more than happy to lend a hand and see what Ancestry has
          in it's files.

          > Cindy

        • Terri Mindock
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
            There is also another newspaper site: GenealogyBank
            It costs about $20/month (I think) but I think the subscription length is only a month. So you can end it at any time. I have memberships to both GenealogyBank and NewspaperArchive and have not come across the same articles in both sites.

            Terri Mindock
            Lane-Blood Genealogy

            _