Re: [NoblesCountyMN] Kemper

  • Cindy Roberts
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2006
      Hi Dana,

      If you have the exact dates of death and know where they died you can go to your local library and do an inter-library loan for the newspapers on microfilm to view and print copies of the obituaries. It may take a little bit to get them, and of course you may have to try more than once to make sure you request the right paper that they would be in, if someone submitted one for them. There is a history library in Jackson, MN that does have newspapers. You might want to try calling them, or even your local library in Worthington to see who would have the information you are seeking. They are alway eager to help.

      Cindy
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 28, 2006
        The Minnesota History center in St. Paul has all the newspapers published in Minnesota and they are on microfilm and can be copied. If you know dates of death you can look up obits. They also have death certificates available from 1908-2001 and they can also be copied at 35 cents a copy, and birth certificates from 1900-1924 can be copied at $2.00 each. Hope this helps

        I am putting together a book for my husband relating to his family
        history.  His mother and father are both gone as are his grandparents,
        which limit the family resources I have.  Does anyone have suggestions
        on how to get obits and newspaper clippings relating to his family?  I
        am new to this and don't even know where to start.

        Thanks for any help you have to offer!

        Dana Kemper
        Worthington, MN

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        .
      • dapwyn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 28, 2006
          Hi Dana,

          I would recommend you contact the libraries where your relatives lived. My
          Roll relatives lived in Adrian and Ellsworth in Nobles County. Adrian did an
          illustrated centennial book containing pictures and descriptions of early
          pioneer families a few years ago. It has also updated the book periodically. The
          towns where your relatives lived may have done the same.

          Here are some other Nobles County related sites you might check out.

          _http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=localities.northam.usa.sta
          tes.minnesota.counties.nobles_
          (http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=localities.northam.usa.states.minnesota.counties.nobles)

          _http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gskw=USA+Mn+Nobles&ti=0&ti.si=0&ra
          nk=0&hc=25&gss=mb&db=mb&application=public&filter=0&utype=Admin_
          (http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gskw=USA+Mn+Nobles&ti=0&ti.si=0&rank=0&hc=25&gs
          s=mb&db=mb&application=public&filter=0&utype=Admin)

          _http://www.rootsweb.com/~mnnobles/_ (http://www.rootsweb.com/~mnnobles/)

          _http://www.noblescountyreview.net/_ (http://www.noblescountyreview.net/)

          _http://www.americashistoricplaces.com/historyminnesota/ChurchofStAdrian--Cath
          olic.htm_
          (http://www.americashistoricplaces.com/historyminnesota/ChurchofStAdrian--Catholic.htm)

          Good Luck,

          Dave Petrie
          Arden Hills, Minnesota
        • Kevin Feit
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 28, 2006
            To save you time (and money in the long term) I personally recommend getting a membership to Ancestry.com.  It provides access to many public records, birth/death info, obits, existing family trees, etc.

            I have a membership and have been really pleased.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 28, 2006
              Just a side note about Ancestry.com. I do have the subscription, and there isn't much on there for the newspaper, same goes for Green Bay, WI.  It will bring up some deaths, births, marriages, but if you want the certificates you pay a pretty hefty price to get them. Ancestry is expensive enough without paying for all the certificates. I do know from searching and also a friend there searching that in one township all the obits were cut out of the papers and put in a folder. The only way to find them is by sitting there and sifting through them till you come up with the name you were looking for. Dana, if you do have any birth, death or marriage dates and you wish a little help to send you in the right direction, I would be more than happy to lend a hand and see what Ancestry has in it's files.

              Cindy

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
                I would sift through the microfilms that the first reader mentioned. Keep in mind many of these small town newspapers had sections of "neighborhood" news. So don't stop at the obituary. You may miss the first hand account of the funeral from your ancestor's friend "who happened to write for the newspaper". You may also miss who attened the funeral, who should have been there, "who took care of the cows" while others traveled, etc.

                Yes, I know it is time consuming to read all these papers, but you can't believe the tidbits you will find. I usually read from the death date until about 2-3 weeks later to make sure I don't miss anything.

                Vicki
              • hpatlak
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
                  Dear Dana,
                  There is a wonderful new website - www.newspaperarchive.com - they
                  offer a free 7-day trial period. I found it so useful that I took a
                  subscription for a year. It is much quicker in responding than
                  Ancestry (which I use daily) - makes for easier for downloading.
                  I found many more entries for my relatives at this site than at
                  Ancestry.com!! Some of the papers (all .pdf for Adobe Reader) are
                  all the way back to the early 1800's and to the present day. You can
                  search by relatives name, or by city or county or state - by topic -
                  whatever you want. New papers are added daily from USA to
                  International. Here's what they claim: 1 Page Added Every Second,
                  That's Over 80,000 Pages Per Day! The clicker just said: Currently
                  Uploading Newspaper Page: 51,905,107 and it continues clicking!!

                  I hope this helps you - if not email me for any other assistance.
                  Helena

                  --- In NoblesCountyMN@yahoogroups.com, "Cindy Roberts"
                  <croberts@...> wrote:

                  > Just a side note about Ancestry.com. I do have the subscription,
                  and there isn't much on there for the newspaper, same goes for Green
                  Bay, WI. It will bring up some deaths, births, marriages, but if
                  you want the certificates you pay a pretty hefty price to get them.
                  Ancestry is expensive enough without paying for all the
                  certificates. I do know from searching and also a friend there
                  searching that in one township all the obits were cut out of the
                  papers and put in a folder. The only way to find them is by sitting
                  there and sifting through them till you come up with the name you
                  were looking for. Dana, if you do have any birth, death or marriage
                  dates and you wish a little help to send you in the right direction,
                  I would be more than happy to lend a hand and see what Ancestry has
                  in it's files.

                  > Cindy

                • Terri Mindock
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
                    There is also another newspaper site: GenealogyBank
                    It costs about $20/month (I think) but I think the subscription length is only a month. So you can end it at any time. I have memberships to both GenealogyBank and NewspaperArchive and have not come across the same articles in both sites.

                    Terri Mindock
                    Lane-Blood Genealogy

                    _