Re: [NoblesCountyMN] Digest Number 229

  • karna
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2006
      Actually after 3 conversations with the Minnesota Historical Society
      yesterday..........

      that was not their policy.

      First phone call from them was this is not our policy, where did you hear
      it. Gave them the phone number, that I had called and gotten the info from.
      Their Library.

      The $15.00 fee is for those that call and request a search of all of those
      who have a request for a number of individuals that MAY be the person the
      genealogist is interested it. In other words if John Smith is the person
      you want to research and there are 4 or 5 in the death or birth year... and
      you want them to try to help, they will for that $15.00 fee, $12.00 if you
      live in MN.. The person that I spoke to was new, and the listings of the
      fees were ....not clear. They want everyone to know that they are there to
      help each and every one of us. I believe this, no one has ever been an
      advocate like I was yesterday, during these calls, and we were both nice ...
      it worked well.

      It is a great conversation to have, I was given information that made me
      very concerned with those that are working hard to put their family history
      together without the ability to pay fees. I would say that those that are
      writing letters are probably the least able to pay.

      I believe that family history should be free. That there should be a fair
      cost for records. Whether you get them from the internet, a phone call or a
      letter. And that is what I was responding to.

      There is no difference from the internet payment to the phone payment in
      this case. They still have to look up the record, and mail it out. I know
      this, cause I had a long conversation about it with the MHS, they do not
      believe there is a difference in their costs. We discussed this at length.

      Lots of folks wait to retire and then start their family histories, they are
      our parent, grandparents, great-greatgrandparents, cousins and somethimes
      they are us.

      I think we should all help each other, and I am so glad many decided to
      help me in this issue. Beside that fact, I am so happy with the MHS that I
      would hug the lady I spoke to in my last phone conversation. Not to mention
      that I would also hug the lady I have been speaking to by e-mail. They have
      been nothing but wonderfull...

      This has been a learning experience for me. Never thought that I would
      recieve the response from fellow geneealogist or from the MSH that I got.
      So glad that it is all OK, and that we all for the most part believe the
      same way.

      I am glad that many, many were interested in the "problem". What a credit
      each of you were to your family history studies.

      mu thanks again, karna coffman :)))))