Re: [NoblesCountyMN] Digest Number 229

  • kbcunning@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2006
      Karna, actually most things cost less if purchased via the internet. It's
      true of department stores' websites and other retail stores' policies as well.
      The reason is simply that it costs stores and other merchandisers (including
      historical societies) less in manpower, time, etc., to process internet orders
      than it does if the orders are placed in other ways. Would you really want
      the product and service suppliers not to pass these savings they're experiencing
      along to the consumers? I'm sure not, and I do understand your point about
      seeming discrimination but the elderly and handicapped (and those who don't
      want to buy over the 'net) still have the other ways to purchase. I sure agree
      with you that the difference in the prices of the MN Historical Society seems
      way too much in terms of matching the difference in the costs to the Society of
      providing the service to web and non-web users).

      Great dialogue to have. Thanks for bringing it up, Karna! Best to you ~:-)

      Kathe C.
      Chicago
    • karna
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2006
        Actually after 3 conversations with the Minnesota Historical Society
        yesterday..........

        that was not their policy.

        First phone call from them was this is not our policy, where did you hear
        it. Gave them the phone number, that I had called and gotten the info from.
        Their Library.

        The $15.00 fee is for those that call and request a search of all of those
        who have a request for a number of individuals that MAY be the person the
        genealogist is interested it. In other words if John Smith is the person
        you want to research and there are 4 or 5 in the death or birth year... and
        you want them to try to help, they will for that $15.00 fee, $12.00 if you
        live in MN.. The person that I spoke to was new, and the listings of the
        fees were ....not clear. They want everyone to know that they are there to
        help each and every one of us. I believe this, no one has ever been an
        advocate like I was yesterday, during these calls, and we were both nice ...
        it worked well.

        It is a great conversation to have, I was given information that made me
        very concerned with those that are working hard to put their family history
        together without the ability to pay fees. I would say that those that are
        writing letters are probably the least able to pay.

        I believe that family history should be free. That there should be a fair
        cost for records. Whether you get them from the internet, a phone call or a
        letter. And that is what I was responding to.

        There is no difference from the internet payment to the phone payment in
        this case. They still have to look up the record, and mail it out. I know
        this, cause I had a long conversation about it with the MHS, they do not
        believe there is a difference in their costs. We discussed this at length.

        Lots of folks wait to retire and then start their family histories, they are
        our parent, grandparents, great-greatgrandparents, cousins and somethimes
        they are us.

        I think we should all help each other, and I am so glad many decided to
        help me in this issue. Beside that fact, I am so happy with the MHS that I
        would hug the lady I spoke to in my last phone conversation. Not to mention
        that I would also hug the lady I have been speaking to by e-mail. They have
        been nothing but wonderfull...

        This has been a learning experience for me. Never thought that I would
        recieve the response from fellow geneealogist or from the MSH that I got.
        So glad that it is all OK, and that we all for the most part believe the
        same way.

        I am glad that many, many were interested in the "problem". What a credit
        each of you were to your family history studies.

        mu thanks again, karna coffman :)))))