Re: Ernest Wellhausen, Jessie Paden, or Augusta Warmbold

  • tamiwell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2006
      Ernest and Austusta had 12 kids and Edward and Ernest were brothers.
      Edward had a child named Ernest who maybe they called Ernie. So I
      think maybe it is in the same family. Thanks for your information.
      Tami

      n NoblesCountyMN@yahoogroups.com, Raymond Crippen <rac8@f...> wrote:

      > Here is an interview from 1982 with Ernest Wellhausen of
      Ocheyedan,
      > Osceola County, Iowa. He was a native of Round Lake, Nobles
      County,
      > Minnesota. I know this is not the man you want - there once was an
      > Ernie Wellhausen at Worthington but I know nothing of him.
      >
      > Ernie of Round Lake/Ocheyedan:
      > April 3, 1982
      > E.T. Wellhausen
      > Ocheyedan
      >
      > Fish and frogs and
      > trains in Round Lake
      >
      > E.T. Wellhausen laughs at the suggestion that it is
      the declamatory
      > instruction from Mrs. McClure at Round Lake High School which
      serves
      > him to this day. But he remembers the spirited area high school
      declam
      > competitions of the 1920s. He remembers the names of his fellow
      > students on the Round Lake declam squad, the girl who did the
      humorous
      > readings, Ike Horstman who did oratory, Evelyn Kain who did
      dramatic
      > interpretation.
      >
      > "Mrs. McClure said we had to go out there on the
      stage with
      > confidence. She said, `Walk out there like you own the place.'
      >
      > "I did oratory. We would memorize a piece, you know.
      That was quite
      > an outing for me. We went to contests at Adrian. We went to
      Rushmore.

      > "I remember at Adrian one time the man announced the
      results - I
      > couldn't understand him. I asked Evelyn, `What did he say?' She
      said,
      > `We won!'
      >
      > Ernie Wellhausen was settled this week in the
      comfortable living room
      > of his beautifully-maintained, older house on main street, just
      south
      > of the Ocheyedan school. He is a long-familiar figure at Ocheyedan.
      >
      > But you were born at Round Lake?
      >
      > "Yes.
      >
      > "My grandparents on both sides came from Germany. I
      remember my
      > Gramma on my mother's side came on a sailboat and she said she
      would
      > never go back - she would never get on a boat like that again.
      >
      > "Dad was twelve when he came to this country. That
      was 1884. His
      > family settled at Davenport.
      >
      > "There was a guy named Custer, a real estate agent
      that was going
      > around telling about land out here. It was through him that the
      family
      > came to Sioux Valley.
      >
      > "My mother's family - the Stratmans - came to Lake
      Park.

      > "Of course Sioux Valley people trade at Lake Park -
      that was how the
      > folks met.
      >
      > "After they were married, they went back to
      Davenport for awhile.
      > Then they came to Round Lake."
      >
      > Ernie's father worked through a period at the Diehn
      mercantile store.

      > "They did a good business. They would take in geese
      and ducks and
      > butter. Eggs.
      >
      > "I remember the train came early in the morning and
      they had to have
      > everything down there - the eggs and butter - to load it on the
      train.

      > "The bread came to Round Lake by train and they
      always unloaded that.
      > The bread would come in deep baskets. They were - oh, four feet by
      > three feet by two feet. There would be a cloth over them.
      >
      > "That was quite an event when the train came to town.
      >
      > "Well, there were two trains each day. A train would
      come to Round
      > Lake from the east and then it would come back again later. And
      then
      > sometimes there would be a special.
      >
      > "But everyone would go to watch the trains.
      Particularly on Sunday.

      > "I remember the cattle cars.
      >
      > "They would unload the cattle feed them and water
      them. There was a
      > stockyards there. When we were kids, we could walk on planks above
      the
      > pens in the stockyards if we didn't get chased off. The planks
      were
      > maybe two-by-sixes. The cattle would be bellering and the men
      would
      > yell. That was quite a thing.
      >
      > "Farmers would drive their cattle to town. That was
      always an
      > interesting thing if you had a chance to go down and watch.
      >
      > "In those days, there were cattle buyers. I remember
      Andrew Johnson
      > at Round Lake.
      > "Farmers didn't know what markets were. They might
      get a paper, but
      > even that would be late. No one knew much about the markets.
      >
      > "So the buyers had a kind of closed shop. They would
      make a quotation
      > and that would be it. You had to have a lot of faith in your buyer.
      >
      > "Even the buyer might not know the market too well.
      And then they had
      > to buy to protect themselves. You see, it might be several days
      before
      > the cattle were driven to town and loaded on the train. The market
      > would change. So the buyers had to protect themselves.
      >
      > "It was about 1927, 1928 that radio information on
      the markets
      > started to come through. Then farmers could know themselves what
      the
      > market was day by day.
      >
      > "One of the first things I remember - another boy
      and I went to swim
      > our ponies in Indian Lake. We were down there by the dam. I saw a
      > pickerel - it was just shallow water there. I hit that. fish with
      > rock and grabbed it. It was probably even out of season. I don't
      know.
      > But I took that pickerel home. I was proud of that.
      >
      > "Nobody had much in those days. I remember
      the fellow who was a
      > dray man. I guess I was working him for a nickel. I got scolded
      for
      > begging.
      >
      > "There was a Mrs. Jenkins who had a little store.
      She taught at the
      > Sunday School - Presbyterian Sunday School; there was just the one
      > church then. You could go to her store and get a stick of Flinch
      for a
      > penny. Flinch was, oh, a kind of thin taffy. About two-and-one-
      half
      > inches long. I remember, I asked my Dad for a penny one time and
      he
      > wondered what I was going to do with it. I guess I was a little
      > indignant; I thought I was old enough that I shouldn't have to
      tell him
      > what I was going to do with my penny.
      >
      > "We would go downtown - my sister and I got a bottle
      of pop and we
      > would have to divide it. She got half and I got half. My sister
      was six
      > years older than I was. Strawberry pop wasn't really my favorite
      but
      > that is what I got."
      >
      > Memories of a happy boyhood in Round Lake, Nobles
      County, Minnesota.

      > "In school -
      >
      > "We had reading and writing and spelling. The math
      teacher coached
      > basketball. Things weren't so organized as they are now, but I
      think
      > that was good.
      >
      > "The Professor would usually indicate what line of
      work you might
      > follow.
      >
      > "In those days, guys who had graduated would come
      back -
      > they had post-graduate courses. They were older, of course, and
      they
      > went out for football and track. That's really what they came back
      > school for.
      >
      > "Well then they said they couldn't do that anymore -
      it wasn't legal
      > to have a team with guys that had already graduated.
      >
      > "I remember a meet at Adrian. Some of the guys in
      post-graduate
      > courses went over to Adrian even though they couldn't participate
      any
      > longer. They ran along the side of the track just to show them
      that
      > they could beat 'em."
      >
      > Round Lake High School, Class of '29.
      >
      > "There were no jobs. Not then.
      >
      > "That was when I learned to pick corn.
      >
      > "I went to work for a farmer - well, he was the
      dairy man for Round
      > Lake. He and his wife were fine people.
      >
      > "I worked all day and I picked thirty bushels. This
      farmer said,
      > `That team of dapple grays know more about picking corn than you
      do,'
      > and he was right. Picking corn was a tough job, especially when
      you had
      > never done it. I got to - oh, seventy bushels a day. I never was
      real
      > fast.
      >
      > "My Dad started a filling station and he bought
      cream and eggs. That
      > went for a while.
      >
      > "I did odd jobs.
      >
      > "H.F. Olds was the depot agent. He was the one that
      got a lot of us
      > through. He had a lot of things going.
      >
      > "He had a seining crew. Frogs were plentiful in
      those days. H. F.
      > Olds didn't live over the depot. To give you an idea: that's where
      we
      > would pile the frogs, in that apartment over the depot.
      >
      > "There would be frogs by the bushel-basketful. They
      would dress those
      > out. Pack them in barrels, and ice them. Then they would ship them
      out
      > on the train.
      > "Frogs and bullheads.
      >
      > "Olds also had several hundred acres of potatoes. A
      big potato
      > operation. That made a lot of jobs. And at that time, potatoes
      were
      > thirty-five cents a bushel…"
      >
      > The Nobles County Library was emerging. That was
      what brought
      > Florence Jean Powell to Worthington. Miss Powell was involved with
      the
      > project of establishing a traveling library service all through
      the
      > county.
      >
      > To begin with, she had only her car for transporting
      books. Her
      > specific assignment had become that of finding a place for a
      library
      > headquarters at Round Lake.
      >
      > Miss Powell went to the Presbyterian church; she
      thought there might
      > be someone there who would be interested and willing to lend
      > assistance. That was how she came to meet Ernie Wellhausen.
      >
      > For three years of World War II, Ernie served in the
      U.S. Army, with
      > the Military Police. In England a part of the time.
      >
      > After discharge he undertook a 31-year career with
      the Ocheyedan
      > Co-op Elevator Association. During his tenure as manager, the new
      > concrete elevators at Ocheyedan were built, the feed mill was
      > constructed and the offices were completed.
      >
      > Nine years ago, E.T. Wellhausen retired. He worked
      at his garden and
      > he worked at his raspberries, as he still does.
      >
      > But a growing concern for problems which beset
      retired citizens all
      > through the region began to attract his interest increasingly.
      >
      > Crusading for rights of U.S. elderly
      >
      > This is the impression of a. stranger who met Ernie
      Wellhausen only
      > this week -
      >
      > It most certainly was not a thing Mr. Wellhausen
      said, or a thing he
      > even hinted at - it was nothing he suggested in any way -
      >
      > Just an impression:
      >
      > If he had chosen to go into politics, or if fate had
      taken a
      > different turn, Ernest Theodore Wellhausen of Ocheyedan would have
      been
      > a governor of Iowa. Maybe a U.S. senator.
      >
      > You get that feeling, speaking with him. Ernie
      Wellhausen talks about
      > issues, and he talks with fervor and conviction.
      >
      > He is captivating.
      >
      > He is informed in the way of those who study issues
      closely, in the
      > way of insiders.
      >
      > He is that kind of man of public affairs - there
      aren't many seen any
      > longer - who begins with a statement of his own deep-felt beliefs
      and
      > who calls for support. He would not have been a governor who
      watched
      > public opinion polls, one who went out to learn first what others
      were
      > saying about this or that issue.
      >
      > Ernie Wellhausen's cause is the aging and the
      elderly, the rights of
      > senior citizens, the needs of older Americans, the things older
      people
      > can do for themselves and the things that ought properly to be
      done to
      > assist them.
      >
      > He doesn't tell this, but five years ago Ernie was
      honored as
      > Outstanding Older Iowan for Northwest Iowa.
      >
      > He worked in the effort to establish the 9-county
      Iowa Lakes Area
      > Agency on Aging as a freestanding agency, governed by the older
      > citizens themselves and representative of them. He served as
      chairman
      > of the agency.
      >
      > The State of Iowa has created an Older Iowa
      Legislature, a
      > unicameral, 99-member representative body which convenes at Des
      Moines,
      > debates issues of close concern to older Iowans and forwards
      > recommendations to the legislature.
      >
      > Twice - two successive years -Ernie Wellhausen was
      elected
      > Speaker of the House of the Older Iowa Legislature.
      >
      > He gave direction to the successful effort to obtain
      a lobbyist for
      > the elderly.
      >
      > That's politics, Ernie - that's real politics. . .
      >
      > "Oh sure it is," he says. But he dismisses talk of
      it quickly. He
      > continues with comments on the issues which concern him closely:
      > keeping the elderly in their own homes; meals for senior citizens,
      > meals where they can gather and talk; transportation for senior
      > citizens.
      >
      > Transportation for the elderly is a frustration.
      >
      > "The thing you need - buses, vans to get people
      together for
      > dinner, for that kind of thing.
      >
      > "A car just to give someone older a ride; that's not
      necessary. If
      > someone has to see a doctor, we've got - seven, eight - eight cars
      > right in this block. There are plenty of good neighbors to take
      people
      > to a doctor, or to get groceries.
      >
      > "But it is important for older people just to get
      out, to be with
      > others. Have meals with others. That's where you need buses. First
      we
      > had to battle to get state aid. Then this high-priced fuel hit us.
      >
      > "You charge older people who have to live on a
      budget seventy-five
      > cents to get on a bus, then seventy-five cents for the return
      trip -
      > that defeats the whole thing. That's three dollars for a round-
      trip for
      > a couple. If the dinners are only a dollar-and-a-half, that's
      another
      > three dollars. They can't do that.
      >
      > "Here: we send school buses all over the state of
      Iowa full of kids.
      > That's fine. But why don't we do that for senior Iowans? Why not
      put
      > older people on school buses and take them to a dinner?"
      >
      > Ernie Wellhausen shapes political arguments. "Taxes -
      well there have
      > to be taxes. But taxes would not be a problem if they were fair.
      If
      > everyone paid on the same basis - if everyone knew the system was
      fair
      > to all - there wouldn't be complaint."
      >
      > The political arguments sometimes are bolstered by
      religious
      > reflections. "Jesus was a radical - he told people to do things,
      > live in a way they never had. He told people to use their talents,
      not
      > bury them. The man who buried his talent - just stashed it away
      where
      > no one could get it - he was condemned."
      >
      > It is important to keep older Americans in their own
      homes,
      > Wellhausen believes. "If they can be home, that's best. It costs
      less
      > to make it possible for people to stay in their own home than to
      have
      > them in a rest home...
      >
      > "It's the humane thing.
      >
      > "I remember Theodore 'Roosevelt said - now I'm going
      back to Theodore
      > Roosevelt - `You can't move an old tree.' You can't move an old
      person.
      > Not without doing harm."
      >
      > A growing problem today: "We've got these people
      today today that
      > put a pencil to everything. That's all they pay attention to - the
      cost
      > is this, the return is this. They put a pencil to everything and
      make a
      > decision, no matter if it's humane or not. You've got to weigh
      that.

      > "A thing can be wrong even if it adds up."
      >
      > The arguments are expressed with feeling.
      >
      > Before he permits anyone to leave Ocheyedan these
      days, Ernie
      > Wellhausen wants them to see the new senior citizens activity
      center
      > which is under construction on main street.
      >
      > "O.J. Lee is the one who gets credit for this. Oh,
      and so many
      > others. This is a volunteer project.
      >
      > "But isn't this great? People will be able to come
      here - a meal will
      > be available five days a week..."
      >
      > Ernie Wellhausen. .
      >
      > Twice Speaker of the House for Older Iowans'
      Legislature.

      > On Sunday, October 2, 2005, at 04:04 PM, tamiwell wrote:
      >
      > > Has anyone heard of
      > > Ernest Wellhausen 1845-1924
      > > Augusta Warmbold 1849-1931
      > > Ernest WEllhausen 1883-1961
      > > Jessie Paden 1899-1958
      > >
      > > I know that some of these and maybe all resided in Worthington,
      MN.
      > > Does anyone know any information? I think one of the Ernest
      Wellhausen
      > > might have started The Worthington Hotel.
      > > Ernest and Augusta had 12 children.
      > >
      > > Thanks for your help

      > <image.tiff>
      > >

      > <image.tiff>
      > >
      > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      > >
      > > +  Visit your group "NoblesCountyMN" on the web.
      > >
      > > +  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      > >
      > > +  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      Service.

      > <image.tiff>

    • joe
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2006
        Hi
        I have been going thru my old letters on the computer & wanted to write to
        you before, Don't think I did though.
        Any way, when I was just out of high school ,I worked at the local Campbell
        soup company and I worked with Hannah Paden from Fulda MN. She had 1 son & I
        can't recall his name but I believe her husband was Jessie & he had died. I
        worked there from 1958 to 1964. I can look up at the courthouse and see if I
        can find anything. I don't know if Fulda is in our county or the next. Just
        close on the border line. Let me know if I can be of help. Sorry I am so
        slow. I can look up the other names too & see if anything is up there.
        Carol Pospisil Worthington MN