Fritscher and Appel Families in Nobles county

  • fritcher00
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2005
      I am researching my g-grandfather Joseph Fritscher, born 1853 in
      Austria, who married Theresia Appel on May 23, 1882 in Hersey, Nobles
      county. They were married by a Catholic priest, C J Knauf, but
      although I have a copy of the marriage record from the county records,
      I have been unable to locate the church record. I am hoping to find
      the names of Theresia Appel's parents on that record. Theresia was
      born in Austria in 1864 and I have not been able to locate her on the
      1880 census. She died in 1896 in Texas.

      I have corresponded with Catholic churches in the area, but cannot
      find the correct one. Does anyone know what Catholic church was in or
      near Hersey in 1882?

      Thanks,
      Judy Fritcher Gibson
    • Raymond Crippen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 27, 2005
        Judy Gibson -

        There is a Sacred Heart Catholic Church at Brewster, which is in
        Hersey Township. Brewster was named Hersey at first.

        There also is a Sacred Heart Catholic Church at Heron Lake, which is
        only eight miles NE of Brewster. Someone living in Hersey Township
        might have belonged to either of those parishes.

        Fr. C.J. Knauf is a Nobles County pioneer. He came to the county as
        the village of Adrian was being chartered, in 1876. Fr. Knauf
        represented Bishop Ireland in the effort to re-settle Irish families,
        especially families crowded into the eastern cities, on farms in
        Minnesota. Fr. Knauf helped in the founding of St. Adrian Catholic
        Church at Adrian, St. Anthony Catholic Church at Lismore and St. Kilian
        Catholic Church at St. Kilian.

        There are Appel families still in Nobles County - Orville Appel lives
        at Worthington - he might know of the others.

        On Sunday, March 27, 2005, at 12:31 AM, fritcher00 wrote:

        > I am researching my g-grandfather Joseph Fritscher, born 1853 in
        > Austria, who married Theresia Appel on May 23, 1882 in Hersey, Nobles
        > county.  They were married by a Catholic priest, C J Knauf, but
        > although I have a copy of the marriage record from the county records,
        > I have been unable to locate the church record.  I am hoping to find
        > the names of Theresia Appel's parents on that record.  Theresia was
        > born in Austria in 1864 and I have not been able to locate her on the
        > 1880 census.  She died in 1896 in Texas.
        >
        > I have corresponded with Catholic churches in the area, but cannot
        > find the correct one.  Does anyone know what Catholic church was in or
        > near Hersey in 1882?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Judy Fritcher Gibson

        <image.tiff>