RE: [NoblesCountyMN] Civil War data base

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2004
      Greg -
      This is the biography we have on John.

      JOHN HANSBERGER
      John Hansberger was born in Berks county, Pennsylvanian, December 18, 1838,
      and his parents, Joel Hansberger and wife, were natives of that same county,
      the former born in 1808 and the latter in 1812. When John was a boy his
      parents left their old home in Pennsylvania and sought a location in Ohio,
      stopping first in Pickaway county, subsequently going to Fairfield county
      and finally to Sandusky county. John accompanied his parents on their
      several moves and remained in Ohio until 1872, when he came out to Minnesota
      and took a homestead claim of one hundred and sixty acres of land in section
      20, of Lorain township.

      Mr. Hansberger was married in November, 1867, to Miss Hannah Catherine
      Myers, in Fairfield county, Ohio, and to them were born six children namely:
      William L., who was married in 1894 to Miss Carrie Payne; Lizzie H., who in
      February, 1894, became the wife of Edward Wilson; Ella C., Clyde and
      James.A.

      Both of Mrs. Hansberger parents were born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, her
      father in 1804 and her mother in 1808, and the latter was reared a Quaker.
      Both died in Fairfield county, Ohio, he in March, 1890, and she in 1868.

      The Hansberger family was well represented in the Union army during the
      civil war, the father and two sons, ,John and Joel, being in the ranks. The
      father enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Ohio Infantry, and died
      in Washington, District of Columbia, while in the service. The sons served
      side by side throughout nearly the whole war. They enlisted September 7,
      1861, in Company K, Seventeenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; were discharged
      December 25, 1863, at the expiration of their term, and immediately
      reenlisted in the same company and regiment, in which they served until the
      war was over, their final discharge being dated at Louisville, Kentucky,
      July 16, 1865. Among the engagements in which they took part, we note the
      following: Mills Springs, Corinth, Stone River, Chickamauga, Resaca, Kenesaw
      mountain, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Savannah, Goldsboro, and Raleigh.

      John Hansberger died March 3rd, 1922, and is buried in Worthington.