Re: Eastmans in Nobles County

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2002
      Gerry -

      I searched the database for Eastman and found the following entries:

      SURNAME FIRST_NAME PAGE SOURCE NOTES
      EASTMAN Family 18 Correspondence File 1986 back
      EASTMAN Frank 1916 Worthington City Director carpenter,
      1512 2nd
      EASTMAN Frank T. 173 Nobles Co. History, Rose
      EASTMAN Joseph S. 118 Nobles Co. History, Rose
      EASTMAN William A. 118 Nobles Co. History, Rose
      EASTMAN Winnie Nobles Co. Marriage Index 7 Aug
      1895
      EASTMAN Winnie 402 Nobles Co. Marriage Index 7 Aug
      1895
      EASTMAN Adelaide Elvira Correspondence File 1990
      EASTMAN Blanche Correspondence File 1990
      EASTMAN Frank 150 Cemetery Book #2

      I also found an obit. in our files, I will be sending that off forum
      to you. None of the given names match the ones you are searching
      for; let me know if you would like any of the entries interest you
      and I will check the source.

      Pat Demuth
      Volunteer
      Nobles County Gen. Group

      --- In NoblesCountyMN@y..., "gle7211" <gerryeastman2477@m...> wrote:
      > Gerry Eastman
    • GERRY EASTMAN
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2002
        Pat,

        The following are some of my ancestors from the list:

        EASTMAN      Joseph S.      118      Nobles Co. History, Rose
        EASTMAN      William A.      118      Nobles Co. History, Rose
        EASTMAN       Winnie      402      Nobles Co. Marriage Index      7 Aug
        1895

        Unless I have more info on the following I don't know if it is related:

        EASTMAN      Family      18      Correspondence File 1986 back

        Please let me know what the source has on the above.

        Also, could you send me a list of the books to be indexed. I may want to volunteer.

        Thanks,

        Gerald Eastman

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
          Gerald -

           Another member of the genealogical group just emailed me and said she has spend 10 hours in the courthouse working on your request and that she had a packet ready to mail to you.  I will let her photocopy and send along this information also.
          Thanks Muriel for helping him out.
          Pat

          The following are some of my ancestors from the list:

          EASTMAN      Joseph S.      118      Nobles Co. History, Rose
          EASTMAN      William A.      118      Nobles Co. History, Rose
          EASTMAN       Winnie      402      Nobles Co. Marriage Index      7 Aug
          1895

          Unless I have more info on the following I don't know if it is related:

          EASTMAN      Family      18      Correspondence File 1986 back

          Please let me know what the source has on the above.

          Also, could you send me a list of the books to be indexed. I may want to volunteer.

          Thanks,

           Eastman
        • GERRY EASTMAN
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
            Pat,

            Yes, Muriel has been a great help. Thanks for your help and for coordinating with her.

            Gerry Eastman

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 14, 2002
              Gerry -

              We do have the rosters of the GAR for Nobles County. In fact we have
              compiled a database of all known Civil War Veterans from Nobles
              County based on the GAR roster and from other sources. It is "On-
              line" via our Yahoo website under the "Database" link on the left of
              the screen.

              There were two Eastman's in the GAR from Nobles Co.

              Surname, Given Name Middle Name, Biography? Death Date, Buried, Notes
              Eastman, James P. No Bio. Worthington
              Eastman, Samuel D. No Bio. 11/18/1899 Worthington (cannon
              lot)

              See the following email about our biography project. Please consider
              sending us a biography on your veterans.

              Pat

              --- In NoblesCountyMN@y..., "gle7211" <gerryeastman2477@m...> wrote:
              > If anyone has information on the following Eastmans in Nobles
              County,
              > please let me know:
              >
              > Samuel D. Eastman
              >
              > Was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic
              > Stoddard Post No. 34 in Worthington (was in Company L, 11th Ill
              Cav).
              > I understand that the Minnesota Historical Society Museum has the
              > records of Stoddard Post No. 34, but they seem to have disappeared
              > from the web. Their old link does not work. It would be nice to see
              > if those records have details of Samuel.
              >
              > He married Loresta Caroline Miner in 1868 in Iowa.
              >
              > They had four children, to my knowledge:
              >
              > Julia B. Eastman, b. abt. May, 1870 in IOWA
              > Archie Henry Eastman, b. abt. 1873 in IOWA. Died 12/29/1911 in
              Nobles
              > County.
              > Bertie F. Eastman, b. abt. 1875 in Illinois.
              > Dora W. Eastman, b. abt. 1878 in Minnesota, probably in Nobles
              County.

              > Samuel had a brother (they married sisters), who also lived in
              Nobles
              > County:
              >
              > James P. Eastman
              >
              > Moved to Nobles County sometime between 1874 and June of 1880 (I'm
              > thinking that his family and Samuel's family traveled together to
              > Nobles County, from the looks of it). In 1880 was in Little Rock.
              In
              > 1890 was in Rushmore. Was in Crow Wing County in June of 1900,
              where
              > he died 4/3/1930. May have been a member of the Grand Army of the
              > Republic Stoddard Post No. 34 in Worthington with his brother Samuel
              > (was in Company H, 39th Ill Inf).
              >

              > Gerry Eastman
            • GERRY EASTMAN
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 16, 2002
                Pat,

                Thanks for the information. I was wondering if James was also in the GAR. As far as I know, though, James is buried in Lakewood Cemetery, Crosby/Irondale, Crow Wing County, Minnesota, not Worthington Cemetery. I'll submit biographies of James and Samuel when I compile more information. Please notify me before the publishing deadline for the book. Does anyone have an inventory of the GAR records? Are they all in one place? It seems there should be much more there than the rosters, if the Historical Society holds the records.

                Thanks,

                Gerry Eastman

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 18, 2002

                  Gerry -

                  I checked the Cemetery index and James does not appear in Nobles County.  I am not sure why he is listed as being buried here in the GAR records.  I will change our database to reflect Lakewood Cemetery in Crow Wing County.

                  We don't have a publishing deadline; we have been working on getting the biographies for about 5 years.

                  I am not aware of an inventory of the GAR records.  All I have seen at the Nobles County Historical are the rosters.  I don't remember what years they are from.

                  I will send you a photo of Samuel Eastman’s gravestone.  I will stop by the cemetery today with my digital camera.

                   Pat, Lynette, Buzz Lightyear and Natalie Demuth