Eastmans in Nobles County

  • gle7211
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2002
      If anyone has information on the following Eastmans in Nobles County,
      please let me know:

      Samuel D. Eastman

      Moved to Nobles County sometime between 1875 and June of 1880.
      In 1880 was in Dewald township. In 1890 was in Worthington, where he
      died on 11/1/1899. Was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic
      Stoddard Post No. 34 in Worthington (was in Company L, 11th Ill Cav).
      I understand that the Minnesota Historical Society Museum has the
      records of Stoddard Post No. 34, but they seem to have disappeared
      from the web. Their old link does not work. It would be nice to see
      if those records have details of Samuel.

      He married Loresta Caroline Miner in 1868 in Iowa.

      They had four children, to my knowledge:

      Julia B. Eastman, b. abt. May, 1870 in IOWA
      Archie Henry Eastman, b. abt. 1873 in IOWA. Died 12/29/1911 in Nobles
      County.
      Bertie F. Eastman, b. abt. 1875 in Illinois.
      Dora W. Eastman, b. abt. 1878 in Minnesota, probably in Nobles County.

      Samuel had a brother (they married sisters), who also lived in Nobles
      County:

      James P. Eastman

      Moved to Nobles County sometime between 1874 and June of 1880 (I'm
      thinking that his family and Samuel's family traveled together to
      Nobles County, from the looks of it). In 1880 was in Little Rock. In
      1890 was in Rushmore. Was in Crow Wing County in June of 1900, where
      he died 4/3/1930. May have been a member of the Grand Army of the
      Republic Stoddard Post No. 34 in Worthington with his brother Samuel
      (was in Company H, 39th Ill Inf).

      He married Rosa E. Miner in 1870 in Iowa.

      They had seven children, to my knowledge:

      William A. Eastman, b. abt. July, 1872 in IOWA. Died 6/4/1946 in
      Portland, Oregon.
      Joseph S. Eastman, b. abt. 1874 in IOWA. Died 6/6/1913 in Salem,
      Oregon.
      Stephen E. Eastman, b. 10/7/1886, probably in Nobles County. Died
      10/17/1954 in San Francisco, California.
      Lee Jack Eastman, b. 6/17/1891, probably in Nobles County. Died
      10/27/1972 in San Francisco, California.
      James R. Eastman, b. 8/3/1899, perhaps in Nobles County. Died
      11/11/1948 in Tillamook County, Oregon.
      Myrtle Eastman b. Unknown (perhaps in Nobles County). Died: ?
      Florence Eastman b. Unknown (perhaps in Nobles County). Married a
      Dobson and lived in Crosby, Crow Wing County in 1946. Died: ?

      Please fill in some of the above blanks if you can.

      I guess the following would be nice:

      GAR records for James P. and Samuel.

      Samuel's Obituary (Worthington Globe?).

      Dora W's birth data from Nobles County.

      Julia's, Archie's, Bertie's, and/or Dora's marraiges in Nobles
      County, if any.

      Archie's Obituary.

      Julia's, Bertie's, and/or Dora's death data in Nobles County, if any.

      William's, Joseph's, Stephen's, Lee's, James R's, Myrtle's, and/or
      Florence's marraige data from Nobles County, if any.

      Myrtle's, and/or Florence's death data from Nobles County, if any.

      I don't ask for much, do I? I gave all this data because if a search
      for one Eastman's marraige or birth or death data is done, it would
      be much morre efficient to look for all the given names at once in
      the same record, than doing separate searches for each name.

      Thanks in advance!

      Gerry Eastman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9 5:04 AM
        Gerry -

        I searched the database for Eastman and found the following entries:

        SURNAME FIRST_NAME PAGE SOURCE NOTES
        EASTMAN Family 18 Correspondence File 1986 back
        EASTMAN Frank 1916 Worthington City Director carpenter,
        1512 2nd
        EASTMAN Frank T. 173 Nobles Co. History, Rose
        EASTMAN Joseph S. 118 Nobles Co. History, Rose
        EASTMAN William A. 118 Nobles Co. History, Rose
        EASTMAN Winnie Nobles Co. Marriage Index 7 Aug
        1895
        EASTMAN Winnie 402 Nobles Co. Marriage Index 7 Aug
        1895
        EASTMAN Adelaide Elvira Correspondence File 1990
        EASTMAN Blanche Correspondence File 1990
        EASTMAN Frank 150 Cemetery Book #2

        I also found an obit. in our files, I will be sending that off forum
        to you. None of the given names match the ones you are searching
        for; let me know if you would like any of the entries interest you
        and I will check the source.

        Pat Demuth
        Volunteer
        Nobles County Gen. Group

        --- In NoblesCountyMN@y..., "gle7211" <gerryeastman2477@m...> wrote:
        > Gerry Eastman
      • GERRY EASTMAN
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9 7:21 PM
          Pat,

          The following are some of my ancestors from the list:

          EASTMAN      Joseph S.      118      Nobles Co. History, Rose
          EASTMAN      William A.      118      Nobles Co. History, Rose
          EASTMAN       Winnie      402      Nobles Co. Marriage Index      7 Aug
          1895

          Unless I have more info on the following I don't know if it is related:

          EASTMAN      Family      18      Correspondence File 1986 back

          Please let me know what the source has on the above.

          Also, could you send me a list of the books to be indexed. I may want to volunteer.

          Thanks,

          Gerald Eastman

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10 4:53 AM
            Gerald -

             Another member of the genealogical group just emailed me and said she has spend 10 hours in the courthouse working on your request and that she had a packet ready to mail to you.  I will let her photocopy and send along this information also.
            Thanks Muriel for helping him out.
            Pat

            The following are some of my ancestors from the list:

            EASTMAN      Joseph S.      118      Nobles Co. History, Rose
            EASTMAN      William A.      118      Nobles Co. History, Rose
            EASTMAN       Winnie      402      Nobles Co. Marriage Index      7 Aug
            1895

            Unless I have more info on the following I don't know if it is related:

            EASTMAN      Family      18      Correspondence File 1986 back

            Please let me know what the source has on the above.

            Also, could you send me a list of the books to be indexed. I may want to volunteer.

            Thanks,

             Eastman
          • GERRY EASTMAN
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10 8:34 PM
              Pat,

              Yes, Muriel has been a great help. Thanks for your help and for coordinating with her.

              Gerry Eastman

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 14 4:46 AM
                Gerry -

                We do have the rosters of the GAR for Nobles County. In fact we have
                compiled a database of all known Civil War Veterans from Nobles
                County based on the GAR roster and from other sources. It is "On-
                line" via our Yahoo website under the "Database" link on the left of
                the screen.

                There were two Eastman's in the GAR from Nobles Co.

                Surname, Given Name Middle Name, Biography? Death Date, Buried, Notes
                Eastman, James P. No Bio. Worthington
                Eastman, Samuel D. No Bio. 11/18/1899 Worthington (cannon
                lot)

                See the following email about our biography project. Please consider
                sending us a biography on your veterans.

                Pat

                --- In NoblesCountyMN@y..., "gle7211" <gerryeastman2477@m...> wrote:
                > If anyone has information on the following Eastmans in Nobles
                County,
                > please let me know:
                >
                > Samuel D. Eastman
                >
                > Was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic
                > Stoddard Post No. 34 in Worthington (was in Company L, 11th Ill
                Cav).
                > I understand that the Minnesota Historical Society Museum has the
                > records of Stoddard Post No. 34, but they seem to have disappeared
                > from the web. Their old link does not work. It would be nice to see
                > if those records have details of Samuel.
                >
                > He married Loresta Caroline Miner in 1868 in Iowa.
                >
                > They had four children, to my knowledge:
                >
                > Julia B. Eastman, b. abt. May, 1870 in IOWA
                > Archie Henry Eastman, b. abt. 1873 in IOWA. Died 12/29/1911 in
                Nobles
                > County.
                > Bertie F. Eastman, b. abt. 1875 in Illinois.
                > Dora W. Eastman, b. abt. 1878 in Minnesota, probably in Nobles
                County.

                > Samuel had a brother (they married sisters), who also lived in
                Nobles
                > County:
                >
                > James P. Eastman
                >
                > Moved to Nobles County sometime between 1874 and June of 1880 (I'm
                > thinking that his family and Samuel's family traveled together to
                > Nobles County, from the looks of it). In 1880 was in Little Rock.
                In
                > 1890 was in Rushmore. Was in Crow Wing County in June of 1900,
                where
                > he died 4/3/1930. May have been a member of the Grand Army of the
                > Republic Stoddard Post No. 34 in Worthington with his brother Samuel
                > (was in Company H, 39th Ill Inf).
                >

                > Gerry Eastman
              • GERRY EASTMAN
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 16 4:31 PM
                  Pat,

                  Thanks for the information. I was wondering if James was also in the GAR. As far as I know, though, James is buried in Lakewood Cemetery, Crosby/Irondale, Crow Wing County, Minnesota, not Worthington Cemetery. I'll submit biographies of James and Samuel when I compile more information. Please notify me before the publishing deadline for the book. Does anyone have an inventory of the GAR records? Are they all in one place? It seems there should be much more there than the rosters, if the Historical Society holds the records.

                  Thanks,

                  Gerry Eastman

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 18 5:57 AM

                    Gerry -

                    I checked the Cemetery index and James does not appear in Nobles County.  I am not sure why he is listed as being buried here in the GAR records.  I will change our database to reflect Lakewood Cemetery in Crow Wing County.

                    We don't have a publishing deadline; we have been working on getting the biographies for about 5 years.

                    I am not aware of an inventory of the GAR records.  All I have seen at the Nobles County Historical are the rosters.  I don't remember what years they are from.

                    I will send you a photo of Samuel Eastman’s gravestone.  I will stop by the cemetery today with my digital camera.

                     Pat, Lynette, Buzz Lightyear and Natalie Demuth