Birth Record Lookup Question

  • goldberg3940
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
      I am trying to determine the identity of my great grandfather. My
      hope is that I can find this info in my grandfather's birth records.
      His name is Rolland John Sherman, born August 17, 1899 in Dundee, MN.
      His mother's name was Anna Sherman. His father (the mystery person)
      was deceased at the time of birth. Mother and baby were living in
      Marshall, MN nine months later according to the 1900 census, so if my
      information is accurate, they were in Dundee for only a short time.

      I would like to confirm that this birth really took place in Nobles
      County. My question: is there an easier and quicker way to determine
      if there is even a birth record on file than writing to the county?
      Can this request be done by phone? Is there someone locally that
      would look it up for a fee? Because of the uncertainty, I am trying
      to avoid going through a formal request for records that may not even
      exist there. Once I determine there is a record, can I then extract
      whatever info I am looking for, or would I then need to proceed to
      formally request the certified certificate? Any help or direction on
      this would be greatly appreciated.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2002
        According to the Nobles County Birth Index:
        Sherman, Roland John, Aug. 17, 1899

        Recorded in: Book B, Page 165, Line 12

        You can request that one of the volunteers who monitor this forum extract
        the information for you or you can write to the courthouse and request a
        certified certificate.

        Hope this helps.