LOVELAND, Warren (Waddy): late 1880's, Ellsworth, MN

  • Kaylynn
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2001
      Hi all......
      Warren (Waddy) Loveland was born in Dec. of 1871 in Trumbull Co., OH. By
      the 1880's he was in Ellsworth, MN. Waddy was something of a celebrity in
      Ellsworth, where he was a wrestler. I have many newspaper clipping
      regarding Waddy and the many fights he had while in Ellsworth. Although he
      was "height challenged," he managed to fight (and beat) many taller
      opponents. Waddy married Katherine Mary Ryder in 1895 in Ellsworth and they
      had the following children:

      Harry S., b. Sept. 22, 1896 in Ellsworth
      Mildred, b. unk., in Ellsworth, married Bert Cook
      John LeRoy Loveland b, Nov. 27, 1900 in Ellsworth
      Virginia, b. unk.
      (I don't know for sure if the above Virginia is a child or not, can't prove
      it.)

      Would love to find any additional information on Waddy and his family.
      Waddy died December, 1942 in Jackson Co., MN. I Have lots of info. on his
      descendant's, through Harry S., but not much on him, Katherine Mary, or the
      other children.

      Regards.....
      Kaylynn Loveland
      Nebraska
    • dapwyn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2001
        Hello Kaylynn,

        My grandfather's half brother, Henry Roll, was the earliest known blacksmith
        in Ellsworth, Minnesota arriving shortly after it was founded. His shop was
        at one time located on lots to the east of the present bank building. Early
        in 1893 he decided to modernize his shop with a gas engine to run his emery
        wheel and do away with the old horsepower.

        Henry and his wife (Mary L. Lichter) had the following children born in the
        1890's in Ellsworth:

        Lillian Roll b. March 26, 1890
        George Henry Roll b. April 9, 1892
        Alfred Joseph Roll b. March 3, 1894
        Florence Anna Roll b. Aug. 27, 1898
        Sylvester Roll b. Oct. 5, 1900
        Gerald Roll b. Aug. 24, 1902
        Mary R. Roll b. Aug. 1, 1905
        Leona Roll b. April 15, 1908

        Henry's brother, Joseph Roll, was one of the first blacksmiths in Adrian,
        Minnesota. He also apparently lived in Ellsworth before he went to Alaska
        looking for gold according to the following quote. Note that a Charles
        Loveland is also mentioned in the quote.

        "A few of the Ellsworth boys who bought farms with gold from the Klondike
        were: John O'Hearn, Norwood Cory, Chas. Loveland, Rudolf and Gerhard Lenz,
        Joe Roll, and Tom Maher." An Illustrated History of Grand Prairie Township" -
        "Joe Roll" is listed on pages 65 & 66; Adrian, Nobles County, Minnesota
        Library]

        The father of Henry and Joseph (and my great grandfather) was Michael Roll
        who was a blacksmith in Mankato, Minnesota. The Rolls were all big men as
        was my grandfather.

        I am sure Henry and Joseph Roll knew your Waddy Loveland. I don't have any
        information linking Waddy to the Charles Loveland mentioned above but,
        considering the small size of the town and the small number of people in
        southwest Minnesota at the time, they could very likely have been related.

        I'd appreciate information on any references to Henry Roll, Joe Roll or other
        Roll family members you might find in your Ellsworth clippings.

        Thanks,
        Dave Petrie
        Arden Hills, Minnesota