Joseph Roll - Adrian, Minnesota

  • dapwyn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2001
      Hello All,

      I am attaching some information on Joseph Roll, early Adrian citizen,
      blacksmith, Alaska Gold-Rush participant and Chief of Adrian,
      Minnesota's first fire department. He was the half brother of my
      grandfather, Albert W. Roll, of Mankato, Minnesota. Let me know if
      you are related to Joseph or are interested in his ancestors and
      other lines of his Roll family in Minnesota and New York.

      Joseph Roll b. 16 Dec 1855 Lancaster, Erie County, New York, USA ch.
      23 Dec 1855 St. Mary's of the Assumption Catholic Church, Lancaster,
      Erie County, New York "1855, baptized 23 December Joseph born 16
      December, son of Michael Roll and Magdalena Knauber." [St. Mary's of
      the Assumption Catholic Church in Lancaster] m. Bertha Hein 1881
      Wisconsin, USA d. April 11, 1901 (aged 45 years, 3 mos., 18 days)

      Obituary for Joseph Roll from the Mankato Review in 1901. "... Mr.
      Roll located in Adrian in 1878, starting the first blacksmith shop in
      the embryo village. He continued this business with a marked degree
      of success until 1891, when in company with Charles A. Sands, he
      established the hardware and machinery business so long conducted
      under the firm name of Roll & Sands. ... Mr. Roll was born at
      Lancaster, New York, in 1855, and at the time of his death was a
      little more than 46 years of age. Upon coming west he located at
      Mankato, where he lived several years previous to his removal to
      Adrian. In 1881 he was married to Miss Bertha Hein, who together with
      five children, viz: Mamie, Lucy, Ida, Leo and Marguerite survive
      him. ... Mr. Roll's fatal illness is traced in the exposure and
      privations incident to life in Alaska, having gone to the Klondike
      country in 1898 in search of the elusive golden rainbow. His trip was
      not wholly unprofitable as far as worldly wealth is concerned, but in
      the trip he lost that which is more precious than the riches of
      Croesus--his health. ... In the death of Joseph Roll the community
      has lost an estimable and enterprising citizen, and his family a
      doting husband and father. Although never a candidate for public
      office outside of village polities, he was nevertheless deeply
      interested and well-versed in political work, and all his life was a
      consistent and uncompromising Democrat. For several years he was
      village treasurer, and in every public movement he was a conspicuous
      figure..."

      "August 1894, the Adrian Fire Dept., a volunteer [organization] was
      formed. The equipment of the department consisted of 2 hose carts,
      1000 ft. of hose, and a hook and ladder truck. Joseph Roll was the
      first fire chief. On November 22 or shortly after the department was
      organized and before they had any drill, a fire broke out in the
      Faragher Bros. & Ulveling elevator, near the depot, and 4 blocks from
      the engine house, and in less than 5 minutes after the alarm sounded
      a stream of water was playing on the fire and in 7 minutes from the
      alarm, steam was up in the power house and direct pressure could have
      been brought to bear on the fire, but fortunately little damage was
      done and direct pressure was not needed." [Adrian Minnesota
      Centennial Book 1876-1976, page 19]

      David Petrie
      Arden Hills, Minnesota
    • kimberwolfe@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2001
        David,
        I am a decendant of Lousia Hein, who was a sister to Bertha Hein, who
        married Joseph Roll. I am looking for info on Joseph Hein (Louisa
        and Bertha's father). Thanks!

        Kimber Wolfe
        kimberwolfe@...

      • demuth@frontiernet.net
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31, 2001
          I have up loaded what we have in our database of sources for the Hein
          Surname. I will be working on adding some of them to the family folder
          I made on the YaHoo site. In the files section of the web page. One of the first things I put up is page 522 from the Nobles County History by Rose, 1907. It is a family bio. that has a lot of good information in it, I hope this helps. The link below should take you there, if you have problems let me know.

          20info./hein.jpg

          Pat Demuth
          Volunteer
          Nobles County Gen. Group