Eva Gris (Interesting article)

  • Eva Gris
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2008
      Hi everyone!

      Here's an interesting article about another famous musician from Israel. I thing it's quite interesting...
      Take care,
      Eva
      ----------

      Guardian | Passports to progress

      Comment

      Passports to progress
      Israelis and Palestinians alike should join me in taking dual citizenship - for
      we share one destiny
      Daniel Barenboim
      Wednesday January 30, 2008

      Guardian
      I have often said that the destinies of the Israeli and Palestinian people are
      inextricably linked and that there is no military solution to the conflict. My
      recent acceptance of Palestinian nationality has given me the opportunity to
      demonstrate this more tangibly.
      When my family moved to Israel from Argentina in the 1950s, one of my parents'
      intentions was to spare me the experience of growing up as part of a minority -
      a Jewish minority. They wanted to me to grow up as part of a majority - a Jewish
      majority. The tragedy of this is that my generation, despite having been
      educated in a society whose positive aspects and human values have greatly
      enriched my thinking, ignored the existence of a minority within Israel - a
      non-Jewish minority - which had been the majority in the whole of Palestine
      until the creation of the state of Israel in 1948. Part of the non-Jewish
      population remained in Israel, and other parts left out of fear or were
      forcefully displaced.
      In the Israeli-Palestinian conflict there was and still is an inability to admit
      the interdependence of their two voices. The creation of the state of Israel was
      the result of a Jewish-European idea which, if it is to extend its leitmotif
      into the future, must accept the Palestinian identity as an equally valid
      leitmotif. The demographic development is impossible to ignore; the Palestinians
      within Israel are a minority but a rapidly growing one, and their voice needs to
      be heard now more than ever. They now make up approximately 22% of the
      population of Israel. This is a larger percentage than was ever represented by a
      Jewish minority in any country in any period of history. The total number of
      Palestinians living within Israel and in the occupied territories (that is,
      greater Israel for the Israelis or greater Palestine for the Palestinians) is
      already larger than the Jewish population.
      At present Israel is confronted with three problems: the nature of the modern
      democratic Jewish state - its very identity; the problem of Palestinian identity
      within Israel; and the problem of the creation of a Palestinian state outside of
      Israel. With Jordan and Egypt it was possible to attain what can best be
      described as an ice-cold peace without questioning Israel's existence as a
      Jewish state. The problem of the Palestinians within Israel is a much more
      challenging one to solve, theoretically and practically. For Israel it means,
      among other things, coming to terms with the fact that the land was not barren
      or empty, "a land without a people" - an idea that was propagated at the time of
      its creation. For the Palestinians, it means accepting the fact that Israel is a
      Jewish state and is here to stay.
      Israelis must accept the integration of the Palestinian minority, even if it
      means changing certain aspects of the nature of Israel; they must also accept
      the justification for and necessity of the creation of a Palestinian state next
      to the state of Israel. Not only is there no alternative, or magic wand, that
      will make the Palestinians disappear, but their integration is an indispensable
      condition - on moral, social, and political grounds - for the very survival of
      Israel.
      The longer the occupation continues and Palestinian dissatisfaction remains
      unaddressed, the more difficult it is to find even elementary common ground. We
      have seen so often in the modern history of the Middle East that missed
      opportunities for reconciliation have had extremely negative results for both
      sides.
      For my part, when the Palestinian passport was offered to me, I accepted it in
      the spirit of acknowledging the Palestinian destiny which I, as an Israeli,
      share. A true citizen of Israel must reach out to the Palestinian people with
      openness, and at the very least an attempt to understand what the creation of
      the state of Israel has meant to them.
      May 15 1948 is the day of independence for the Jews, but the same day is
      al-Nakba, the catastrophe, for the Palestinians. A true citizen of Israel must
      ask himself what the Jews, known as an intelligent people of learning and
      culture, have done to share their cultural heritage with the Palestinians. A
      true citizen of Israel must also ask himself why the Palestinians have been
      condemned to live in slums and accept lower standards of education and medical
      care, rather than being provided by the occupying force with decent, dignified
      and liveable conditions - a right common to all human beings.
      In any occupied territory, the occupiers are responsible for the quality of life
      of the occupied, and in the case of the Palestinians, the different Israeli
      governments over the past 40 years have failed miserably. The Palestinians,
      naturally, must continue to resist the occupation and all attempts to deny them
      basic individual needs and statehood. However, for their own sake, this
      resistance must not express itself through violence. Crossing the boundary from
      adamant resistance (including non-violent demonstrations and protests) to
      violence only results in more innocent victims, and does not serve the long-term
      interests of the Palestinian people.
      At the same time, the citizens of Israel have just as much cause to be alert to
      the needs and rights of the Palestinian people (both within and outside Israel)
      as they have to their own. After all, in the sense that we share one land and
      one destiny, we should all have dual citizenship.
      � Daniel Barenboim is a conductor and pianist, and co-author with Edward Said of
      Parallels and Paradoxes: Explorations in Music and Society danielbarenboim.com
      Guardian Unlimited � Guardian News and Media Limited 2008

    • Antonio Santi
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2008
        Mi permetto dire a tutti gli amici del sito che il mio giornale - www.ecodiaversa.com - è a disposizione per pubblicare articoli e/o commenti sulla Grande Artista Noa.
        Potete scrivere al mio indirizzo di posta elettronica.
        Il mio giornale è un quotidiano della città italiana di Aversa (Caserta).
        Grazie
        Antonio Santi
        Me permito decir a todos los amigos del gruop que mi periodico - www.ecodiaversa.com - es disponible para publicar articulos e/o comentarios sobre la Grande Artista Noa.
        Me podeis escribir a studiolegalesanti@....
        Mi periodico es diario y se ocupa de la ciudad italiana de Aversa (Caserta)
        Gracias
        Antonio Santi

        Yahoo! Groups Links