Oct 6 Fri 7pm: Screening of "The Ground Truth" at Grace Church in Logan Square

  • Gretchen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hello All,

      Grace church is hosting a screening of "Ground Truth this Friday evening, October 6th.  Please join us.  There is a $6.00 donation, some of which will go to the movie makers to cover their costs.  No one will be turned away.  There will be a discussion to follow.  I have seen the short version and it is really interesting.  I think it is particularly good for young people.  They can really get a sense of the costs of war.  Details are below!  Please contact Anne Schultz at instforimag@... or Grace Church at 773-772-3159 for more information.  Thanks!  Doors will most likely open at 6:30.

      Gretchen

      In honor of "Women in Black and my other sisters of peace.

      Here's the info about the movie The Ground Truth:

      About the Screening

      Host: Anne Schultz
      Time: Friday, October 6th at 7:00 p.m. - 78 minutes
      Location: Grace United Methodist Church of Logan Square
                       3325 W. Wrightwood
                       Chicago, IL 60647

      Suggestion donation: $6.00.

      Directions: Take the Kennedy Expressway in either direction, get off at Fullerton, go West to Kimball, turn right at Kimball and go four or five blocks. The church is on the south east corner of Kimball and Wrightwood.

      About the Movie

      "The Ground Truth stunned filmgoers at the 2006 Sundance and Nantucket Film Festivals. Hailed as "powerfrul" and "quietly unflinching", Patricia Foulkrod's searing documentary feature includes exclusive footage that will stire audiences. The filmmaker's subjects are patriotic young Americans - ordinary men and women who heeded the call for military service in Iraq - as they experience recruitment and training, combat, homecoming, and the struggle to reintegrate with families and communities. The terrible conflict in Iraq, depicted with ferocious honesty in the film, is a prelude for the even more challenging battles fought by the soldiers returning home - with personal demons, an uncomprehending public, and an indifferent government. As these battles take shape, each soldier becomes a new kind of hero, bearing witness and giving support to other veterans, and learning to wield the most powerful weapon of all - the truth.

      "By the year 2025, I promise a world of peace, justice and reconciliation."

      "It is men who brought us to war and it is women who will lead us to peace."