Fwd: Brief: The Occupation (Let's call it what it really is)

  • Caroline Gibbons
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2006
      Let's call this "War" by its correct name as suggested by George Lakoff.

      Caroline

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Mark

      I heard a short interview with George Lakoff recently. He's the guy who figured out how the GOP uses (or rather misuses) language in order to manipulate, and has come up with ways to fight back.

      I just wanted to pass along his suggestion that we no longer refer to what is happening in Iraq as a "war", but rather call it what it is; an occupation.

      As Professor Lakoff put it, a war is when two armies fight one another. When shrub put up the "mission accomplished" banner, he was essentially correct; the war was over and the occupation began.

      Calling Afganistan and Iraq occupations, is merely using language correctly.

      ...and it will drive the wing-nuts crazy :-)

      -Mark