CAWI ToDo: Aug 9 Tues. CAWI meeting / City Council Iraq War Resolution

  • MarilynMKC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2005
      Please mark your calendars for August 9th CAWI meeting to talk about mobilization to ensure passage of the immediate withdrawal resolution now pending in the city council.

      We need to:
      1) mobilize to encourage the remaining 7 aldermen to sign on.
      2) do a petition drive to create the sea in which our elected officials should be swimming and demonstrate the broad based suppor that exists for withdrawal.

      Also, the agenda will include

      September 10th peace fair in Oak Park and

      Mobilization for Washington on the 24th of September.

      Meeting is at the home of Marilyn Katz, 2622 N Hampton Court, Chicago

      Here is the note from Alderman Moore, who along with Schulter, Shiller and Lyle introduced the resoution.  It enumerates the aldermen who have not yet signed on.
      _____________

      As you know, a number of Aldermen introduced a resolution in the City Council on Wednesday calling for an "orderly and rapid withdrawal of United States military personnel from Iraq.  In drafting the resolution, we borrowed heavily from a bipartisan resolution currently pending in Congress and a proposal drafted by Ann Breen-Greco and others.  Aldermen Helen Shiller and Gene Schulter were especially instrumental in securing the signatures of 40 of our colleagues.  This is a remarkable feat and underscores the growing dissatisfaction with the war in all neighborhoods in our city.

      The following aldermen have NOT signed the resolution

      Manuel 'Manny" Flores (1st Ward) . . . Not present at Wednesday's meeting.
      Dorothy Tillman (3rd Ward) . . . . . . Supportive, but didn't have a chance to sign
      John Pope (10th Ward)
      James Balcer (11th Ward) . . . . . . . Only Alderman to vote against 2003 Iraq War Resolution
      Ed Burke (14th Ward)
      Thomas Murphy (18th Ward)
      Virginia Rugai (19th Ward)
      Walter Burnett (27th Ward) . . . . . . . Not present at Wednesday's meeting.
      Theodore Matlock (32nd Ward)
      Brian Doherty (41st Ward) . . . . . . . . City Council's lone Republican

      The resolution was referred to the City Council Committee on Human Relations, chaired by Alderman Billy Ocasio (26th Ward).  That is the same committee that considered and passed the January 2003 resolution opposing a pre-emptive military invasion of Iraq.  We hope to pass the current resolution at the next City Council meeting, which will be held on Wednesday, September 14th.  Hearings on the resolution will be held before then.  I will let you know when the date for the hearings is set.  The text of the resolution is below.

      Please feel free to e-mail me at AldMoore@... or call me at 773-338-5796 if you have any questions.

      Joe Moore
      Alderman, 49th Ward

      RESOLUTION URGING CESSATION OF COMBAT OPERATIONS

      IN IRAQ AND THE RETURN OF U.S. TROOPS

      WHEREAS, The Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002 was passed by the U.S. Congress on October 11, 2002, and that Public Law 107-243 cited Iraq's possession of weapons of mass destruction as a primary reason for the use of United States Armed Forces against Iraq; and

      WHEREAS, On January 12, 2005, President Bush officially declared an end to the search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq; and

      WHEREAS, The United States initiated combat operations in Iraq on March 19, 2003; and

      WHEREAS, Hundreds of thousands of members of the United States Armed Forces have served with honor and distinction in Iraq; and

      WHEREAS, More than 1,700 members of the United States Armed Forces have been killed and more than 12,000 members of the Armed Forces have been wounded in substantially accomplishing the stated purpose of the United States of giving the people of Iraq a reasonable opportunity to decide their own future; and

      WHEREAS, The United States military occupation of Iraq has placed significant strains on the capacity of the United States Armed Forces, both active duty and reserve and the National Guard.

      WHEREAS, The armed forces of Iraq number more than 76,000 troops as of June 8, 2005, and are growing in number and capability daily; and

      WHEREAS, The forces of the Iraqi Interior Ministry number more than 92,000 personnel as of June 8, 2005, and are growing in number and capability daily; and

      WHEREAS, More than $200 billion has been appropriated by Congress to fund military operations and reconstruction in Iraq, and Chicago residents' share now exceeds $2.1 billion; and

      WHEREAS, The funds spent by Chicago taxpayers on the war and occupation in Iraq could have provided Head Start for one year for 238,056 children; or medical insurance for one year for 1,076,242 children; or 31,147 public school teachers for one year; or 16,183 additional housing units, according to the National Priorities Project; and

      WHEREAS, The war and continued occupation have resulted in the devastation of Iraq's physical and social infrastructure and led to widespread and continuous resistance to U.S. occupation that threatens the lives of Iraqi civilians and the men and women who compose the ranks of U.S. and other occupying forces; and

      WHEREAS, The presence of United States forces in Iraq and the alleged torture of prisoners at Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and other facilities have inflamed anti-American passions in the Muslim world and increased the terrorist threat to United States citizens, both at home and abroad; and

      WHEREAS, Polls show that less than half of the American people support the war; and

      WHEREAS, Illinois Congresspersons Rush, Lipinski, Emanuel, Davis, Schakowsky, Jackson, Gutierrez, and Costello joined more than 100 other Congresspersons in voting for a House resolution on an Iraq exit strategy; and

      WHEREAS, On January 2003, the Chicago City Council passed a resolution 47-1 opposing the war in Iraq prior to its commencing in March 2003; now, therefore,

      BE IT RESOLVED, That the City Council of the City of Chicago, on behalf of the citizens of Chicago, urges the United States government to immediately commence an orderly and rapid withdrawal of United States military personnel from Iraq; and

      BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That the City Council of Chicago, recognizing that the stability of Iraq is crucial to the security of the citizens of Chicago and to all Americans, urges the United States government to provide the people of Iraq with all necessary non-military material aid as shall be necessary for the security of Iraq's citizens and for the rebuilding of Iraq; and

      BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That the financial resources used to prosecute the war be redirected to address the urgent needs of America's great urban centers and the most vulnerable portions of our population, including health, education, and homeland security; and

      BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That a suitable copy of this resolution shall be sent to George W. Bush, President of the United States, and the members of the Illinois Congressional delegation.

    • AldMoore@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1 10:24 AM
        To Marilyn, et al.

        I will be unable to attend the August 9th meeting as I will be out of town on a short vacation, but I would very much like to be involved in the strategy for the resolution urging a withdrawal from Iraq.  Let's keep in touch.

        Alderman Joe Moore

        Marilyn Katz MarilynMKC@... wrote:
        Please mark your calendars for August 9th CAWI meeting to talk about mobilization to ensure passage of the immediate withdrawal resolution now pending in the city council.

        We need to:
        1) mobilize to encourage the remaining 7 aldermen to sign on.
        2) do a petition drive to create the sea in which our elected officials should be swimming and demonstrate the broad based suppor that exists for withdrawal.

        Also, the agenda will include

        September 10th peace fair in Oak Park and

        Mobilization for Washington on the 24th of September.

        Meeting is at the home of Marilyn Katz, 2622 N Hampton Court, Chicago
      • laurel schmidt
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2 12:53 PM
          Dear Marilyn:

               I regret that I'll be out of town on 8/9 and miss the meeting at your house.  I suggest CAWI focuses its participation at the Oak Park Peace Fair -- an important place to build for the coming demonstrations in DC.  Specifically, we'll need CAWI's sponsorship check for $50.  I would hope that Sam Ackerman continues his bus sign-up activity at CAWI's booth -- it'd be a good place to showcase the Iraq War Resolution.  OPCTJ is crafting one modeled on Chicago's for Oak Park.

               The DC questions nag at me constantly.  Clearly we need to build the march(es) on Saturday afternoon and bring as many folks from Chicago as possible, but there's so much more to that weekend than hopping on an $80 ANSWER organized bus, walking out to the march of our choice and getting back in a few hours later.  My own Unitarian church group as well as national CodePink, OPCTJ, CAWI, Community Renewal, etc. are member groups of United for Peace and Justice (UFPJ) which has a whole weekend of activities and its own permitted march route around the White House. (Oh how I wish these groups would join together.)

                I'm also a member of the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSC) which has designated Sept 24-26 as "Call for Justice Weekend" in DC.  The UUSC has its own activities planned (including free time to participate in the Sat afternoon marches) capped off by a formal mock trial of Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, and former CIA Director George Tenet for violations of international and U.S. laws prohibiting torture featuring testimony by torture survivors on Sunday afternoon.  Some of our Unitarian church people were planning on going to DC unaware of the Saturday marches!

               There should be a bus for folks who want/need to go for the whole weekend. I'd like to march on the UFPJ route (ideally with some CodePink garbed Chicago sisters) and take part in some of the many weekend events.  Of couse that raises further logistical problems of where to sleep a bus full of Chicago area activists.  I know at my age, I need something comfortable -- no more church basements.  Any ideas out there?  Otherwise it's car pooling for us.

          Signed,
          Dazed and confused,
          Laurel Lambert
          Third Unitarian Social Action