Re: [NoIraqWar] at least there is one thinking dem

  • Dennis Dixon
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
      Marilyn;

      As I pointed out in a post that somehow got lost
      in cyberspace, Kerry made two passing references to
      Labor issues in the last debate. First, he said we
      needed to increase the minimum wage--but never
      explained why. Second, he mentioned that 4 million or
      so people would lose overtime benefits because of the
      Bush plans, but never explained what that meant
      either.

      First, one has to understand what the Clinton
      Administration did on their Labor Department web site
      where they showed through graphs how the minimum wage
      puts a floor under general wage levels showing that
      the drop in the minimum wage after 1971 was followed
      by a drop in wages in general (obviously a full
      explanation of globalization, etc. goes beyond that,
      but it still is not the type of false syllogism so
      well worn by the Enterprise Institute).

      To understand the "overtime" issue, one needs to
      understand the National Labor Relations (Wagner)Act
      and how it separates "management" from "labor." The
      Bushites want to put more workers into positions where
      their employers can say that they are "management"
      "salaried" workers--which will deny them overtime.

      It is the job of the Labor Movement to educate
      its members on these issues and to bring this type of
      education to the public in general; but Kerry
      obviously did not consider understanding these issues
      to be worth going out of his way to explain. He easily
      could have brought out the fact that Bush is the most
      anti-Labor "president" (in practice) of all time. But,
      he wasn't prepared to do that.

      There are several things that I can think of off
      the top of my head that would go a long way in
      promoting education in Labor issues. First, Jobs with
      Justice Committee on New Priorities forums have
      discussed any number of issues along these lines (one
      particularly several years ago was very akin to the
      United for a Fair Economy bit on comparisons of the
      military budget to any other program for human needs).
      The "Working Families e-Activist Network" is another
      idea that the AFL-CIO is pushing to bring non-union
      members into a relationship with the AFL-CIO. This in
      some ways resembles the educational efforts of JwJ,
      but takes it to the level of getting people certain
      benefits for being members of the network
      (http://www.unionvoice.org/). I also would encourage
      people to read the Labor Party press and to look at
      its web site (http://www.thelaborparty.org/).
      Health Care, Social Security, the myth
      of the stock market providing everyone with pensions
      (401k's for example), Civil Liberties, and the Labor
      Law, have all been discussed from a progressive point
      of view.

      I would think that one issue we might want to
      push is actually having Howard Dean as the head of
      'the Party.' While I don't think the DLC has nothing
      interesting to say, their theory is clearly one-sided
      and elitist (I.Q. and sophistication seem central to
      their idea about who the Dem voters are). We need to
      have people like Dean and Kucinich working to turn
      around the headlong hurtle toward oblivion. We also
      need more people like Bob who recognize the need to
      recover Labor's stregnth both theoretically and
      practically if we are to call ourselves truly
      progressive.
      ....Dennis Dixon

      --- MarilynMKC@... wrote:

      > This is Joe Trippi's prescription for saving the Dem. Party. The interesting
      > thing is that this is the first time I've actually seen the need to support
      > labor's growth as a key ingredient coming from someone like Trippi.
      >
      > Bob Lawson
      >

      > The Wall Street Journal
      > November 30, 2004
      > Only the Grassroots Can Save The Democratic Party
      > JOE TRIPPI
      >
      > The staggering defeat of the Democratic Party and its ever-accelerating death
      > spiral weren't obvious from the election results. Two factors masked the
      > extent of the party's trouble. Without the innovation of Internet-driven
      > small-donor fund-raising and a corresponding surge in support from the
      > youngest voters, John Kerry would have suffered a dramatically larger
      > defeat. And the true magnitude of the Democrats' abject failure at the
      > polls in 2004 would have been more clearly revealed.
      >
      > Mr. Kerry raised nearly half of his war chest over the Internet. He was so
      > successful at this that he actually outspent the Bush campaign. But it was
      > the outsider campaign of Howard Dean, reviled by most of the Democratic
      > establishment, that pioneered the use of the Internet to raise millions in
      > small contributions; Mr. Kerry was just the beneficiary as the party nominee.
      > And it was the risk-taking Dean campaign that forced the risk-averse Kerry
      > campaign to opt out of the public financing system. Had that decision not
      > been forced on Mr. Kerry, he would have been badly outspent by George
      > Bush; he would not have been competitive at all throughout the long summer
      > of 2004.
      >
      > Mr. Kerry's lead among young voters hid just how bad Election Day really was
      > for Democrats. In 2000, voters between 18 and 29 split their votes evenly:
      > nine million each for Mr. Bush and Al Gore. But in 2004, two million more
      > voters in this age group turned out to vote. And while Mr. Bush won the same
      > nine million, 11 million voted for Mr. Kerry. But when we set aside his two
      > million new younger voters, the true disaster is revealed. In 2000, Mr. Gore
      > and Ralph Nader won a combined total of 54 million votes. This year Mr. Kerry
      > and Mr. Nader got 53 million (ignoring the two million new young voters).
      >
      > Mr. Kerry was a weaker candidate than Mr. Gore. He lost so much ground among
      > women, Hispanics, and other key groups, that the millions in Internet money,
      > the most Herculean get-out-the-vote effort in party history, and the largest
      > turnout of young voters in over a decade, couldn't save him. Had the young
      > stayed home, the sea of red on the map would have grown to include at least
      > Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and New Hampshire -- perhaps one or two more.
      >
      > Meanwhile, Mr. Bush, received 50 million votes in 2000, and 59 million in
      > 2004. He added nine million votes. That's because Karl Rove had a plan and
      > the campaign executed it brilliantly. But the problem for Democrats is not
> [...]
      The Joe Trippi article is also posted on his website:
      http://www.joetrippi.com/