FYI: Obama Statement on Iraq Spending Package Vote

  • Carl Davidson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2003
      Obama Statement on Iraq Spending Package Vote
      October 17, 2003

      I would have voted no on the President's $87 billion supplemental
      appropriation for Iraq. This is only another installment in a
      continuing drain of American lives and American resources in support
      of a deeply flawed policy. And it comes at a time when communities
      across our own country are suffering from a lack of needed investment
      in jobs, education and health care.

      I fully support our troops and would do anything to protect their
      safety. But the President has cynically tied the military funding to
      the $20 billion for reconstruction, effectively holding our troops
      hostage to an aid package rife with patronage and overspending. That
      may be good politics, but it is meant to mask bad policy.

      I was the only candidate for the U.S. Senate in Illinois to publicly
      oppose the invasion of Iraq, because I feared it would not accomplish
      our objective of reducing terror, it would hurt our relations with
      our allies and undermine our ability to meet our challenges at home.
      All of those fears have come true. The bill is mounting every day,
      payable in American dollars and lives. And the President offers no
      plan to end it, or to rein in his political supporters who are
      benefiting from this spending spree.

      We need to turn over to Iraqis the responsibility for policing their
      nation, and turn over the rebuilding of that country to an
      international administration. With three million jobs lost, 44
      million without health insurance and poverty levels rising –
      particularly among children and minorities – Americans are right to
      wonder why our mounting problems here at home don't merit the
      attention this Administration is showering on Iraq.