Re: [NoIraqWar] BP disaster

  • Michael Lynn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2010
      Ann

      From my reading on this, I think they are a number of inaccuracies in this. BP is currently fessing up to, I believe, 60,000 barrels of oil a day, which is 2,520,000 gallons. They are now recovering some, though not all of this. Given their history of lying about everything, I'm sure the true figure is much higher. From my reading, he's right about the well being on edge of technology and the pressure of the oil is enormous. Another troublesome factor is the huge amount of methane coming out of this leak. The flow is about 40% methane. Methane is 20 times more potent as a greenhouse gas than CO2, though it does decay into mostly CO2. The oil deposit BP was drilling into is contiguous with a very large methane field, which creates additional worries. But the plan is not to clear away the well head to stop the flow. They are drilling relief wells below the seabed to intersect the well, after which the plan is to inject water, gas and cement at high pressure to seal off the leak. Relief wells at this depth are a bit of crapshoot. You often don't hit it on the first try. There is much speculation that the well is actually damaged below the well head, but no one really knows. It was fears about sub-surface damage that caused them to break off the Top Shot operation. If the well is severely damaged below the seabed, there is the possibility, made more likely by all the methane, of rupturing the sea floor and exposing the oil and gas chamber directly. Were that to happen, the flow rate would increase drastically and there would be no way to stop it. It would flow for years till the estimated 1-10 billion barrels in the field were pretty much exhausted. That's probably a low probability event, but it's quite possible. Just depends on the extent of unknown damage to the well below. Oh, and a sudden methane release could trigger a massive tsunami that takes out a good portion of Gulf Coast of Florida, but that's considered highly unlikely.

      A real good source of info on this is the website www.theoildrum.com. Most of the writers are petroleum professionals and it cuts through of lot of the industry's BS.

      Mike
      On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Ann Breen-Greco <annrun@...> wrote:

      I am not sure of the source of this but wondered if anyone else had read it and what you think.

      An engineer of considerable experience says watch this one evolve carefully because it is destined to continue to grow and he shares this long explanation why:

      "Heard your mention of the oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico this morning, and you (and most everyone else except maybe George Noory) are totally missing the boat on how big and bad of a disaster this is.

      First fact, the original estimate was about 5,000 gallons of oil a day spilling into the ocean. Now they're saying 200,000 gallons a day. That's over a million gallons of crude oil a week!

      I'm engineer with 25 years of experience. I've worked on some big projects with big machines. Maybe that's why this mess is so clear to me.

      First, the BP platform was drilling for what they call deep oil. They go out where the ocean is about 5,000 feet deep and drill another 30,000 feet into the crust of the earth. This it right on the edge of what human technology can do. Well, this time they hit a pocket of oil at such high pressure that it burst all of their safety valves all the way up to the drilling rig and then caused the rig to explode and sink. Take a moment to grasp the import of that. The pressure behind this oil is so high that it destroyed the maximum effort of human science to contain it.

      When the rig sank it flipped over and landed on top of the drill hole some 5,000 feet under the ocean.

      Now they've got a hole in the ocean floor, 5,000 feet down with a wrecked oil drilling rig sitting on top of is spewing 200,000 barrels of oil a day into the ocean. Take a moment and consider that, will you!

      First they have to get the oil rig off the hole to get at it in order to try to cap it. Do you know the level of effort it will take to move that wrecked oil rig, sitting under 5,000 feet of water? That operation alone would take years and hundreds of millions to accomplish. Then, how do you cap that hole in the muddy ocean floor? There just is no way. No way.

      The only piece of human technology that might address this is a nuclear bomb. I'm not kidding. If they put a nuke down there in the right spot it might seal up the hole. Nothing short of that will work.

      If we can't cap that hole that oil is going to destroy the oceans of the world. It only takes one quart of motor oil to make 250,000 gallons of ocean water toxic to wildlife. Are you starting to get the magnitude of this?

      We're so used to our politicians creating false crises to forward their criminal agendas that we aren't recognizing that we're staring straight into possibly the greatest disaster mankind will ever see. Imagine what happens if that oil keeps flowing until it destroys all life in the oceans of this planet. Who knows how big of a reservoir of oil is down there.

      Not to mention that the oceans are critical to maintaining the proper oxygen level in the atmosphere for human life.

      We're humped. Unless God steps in and fixes this. No human can. You can be sure of that.

      ANN BREEN-GRECO
      ADMINISTRATIVE LAW JUDGE/HEARING OFFICER
      ARBITRATOR/MEDIATOR/ATTORNEY
      P. O. Box 25988
      Chicago, Illinois 60625
      Phone and Fax: 773,539-3292
      annrun@...

      --
      Mike
    • Maureen Barry
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2010
        Ann: I googled George Noory, who I had never heard of.  Sounds like a right-wing radio host who believes 2012 will be a year ecological calamity.  So this person was calling in to some right-wing station I am guessing.  Anyway, if the only answer is nuclear weapons, we truly are in trouble, because as we all know, that is not an answer.

        To: noiraqwar@yahoogroups.com
        From: annrun@...
        Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 06:03:34 -0700
        Subject: [NoIraqWar] BP disaster

[...]

        annrun@sbcglobal. net

      • Ralph Suter
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2010
          As bad as the Gulf spill turns out to be -- even if it turns out as bad
          or worse than most experts now believe it would in a "worst case"
          scenario -- it's almost certainly not an end-of-the-world catastrophe of
          the kind imagined here. The writer makes no mention of what kinds of
          "big projects/big machines" the engineer has had experience with or even
          what kind of engineer it is. Also, the suggestion that a nuke may be the
          only technology capable of sealing the hole is almost certainly
          unfounded. In a recent NY Times op-ed, a former submarine officer with
          knowledge of the Navy's engineering and explosives capabilities urged
          using conventional explosives to blow up the well, adding that using a
          nuclear bomb would be overkill as well as an unacceptable precedent.
          (See http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/opinion/22Brownfield.html) I
          suspect that either the engineer knows less than he or she wants people
          to believe or is an invention to make the writer sound more credible.

          -Ralph Suter