Older SB-1 Nikon flash

  • cdpva33
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2011
      In 1971 I purchased an SB-1 Nikon flash including the ring light. I used it for many years with the combination of a Nikkormat ftn and a Vivitar 72 to 210 zoom lens with a close-up lens attached and took hundreds of intra-operative surgical photographs. The combination gave an adequate distance from the surgical field yet pictures were taken which approached being macro. I recently got this out of storage and the battery no longer works nor does the main flash, however the ring light appears to work well when connected through the charger to house current. I would like to occasionallyuse this flash as a ring light with my D 70 DSL camera in manual mode and using a hot shoe to PC adapter.

      I've read many articles about the dangers of using older flashes because of the high trigger voltages. I have also looked on the web about how to measure trigger voltages but some seem to feel that such measurements may not be accurate. The last thing I want to do is to damage my camera but using this old ring life would be helpful at times.

      I have looked on the web for information on its trigger voltage but cannot come up with an answer. Does anyone on this forum know for certain what the trigger voltage might be?

      Thanks!
    • JimE
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2011
        Go here

        http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

        I have the hot shoe version and the inline version plus I use remote triggering of my flashes.

        Jim

      • Melvin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 21, 2011
          I don't know the specific trigger voltage for the SB-1 or its ring flash. But it is better with the older flashes of all types to be safe than sorry. The flash voltage of most the older flashes is enough to fry the internal circuits of all the DSLR's Nikon makes. If you decide to use them, you need to look into getting a Wein Monoplug Safe-Sync High Sync Voltage Regulator which will regulate flash sync voltage to a safe 6 volts as well as protect the camera's circuitry.

          1971 was a good year. I bought my first Nikon F in 1971.

          Mel Hughes
          Sparta, TN
        • Cha`
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 21, 2011
            The safe sync is good but it's pricey. Usually it more than the value of the flash itself.

            You can neasure the trigger voltage of any flash. Here is the how link http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html
          • igbilson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 21, 2011
              You may find this useful reading..
              http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
            • C. Dick Park
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 22, 2011
                Thank you all for your many helpful replies and I am currently reviewing
                many the links which you all kindly provided. I am also in the process of
                measuring trigger voltages on several of my older non-Nikon flash units. I
                was able to use a digital voltmeter and measured a trigger voltage of 190 V
                on the SB-1 unit and therefore will not use it with my D 70 or any future
                digital cameras that I might acquire.

                After I've finished measuring some of the voltages on my older non-Nikon
                units I will try to post my results here.

                Again many thanks for the helpful information you have all provided.

                Dick

                On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 7:22 PM, igbilson <igbilson@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > You may find this useful reading..
                > http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

              • Scott Ditzel
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 22, 2011
                  Nikon says as long as the trigger voltage isn't
                   over 250volts or is a negative voltage, they are fine....That said, I use a Lester Dine ring/point light  (mid 80's made) with my D70s

                  Scott
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/
                  http://screaminscott.zenfolio.com/p984947295