SUSAN TEDESCHI 'Wait For Me' set for November 19 release on Tone Cool/Artemis Re

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2002
      10/30/02
      SUSAN TEDESCHI - #1 MOST ADDED AT TRIPLE A RADIO

      October 29, 2002 - , Susan Tedeschi's new single "Alone" was the
      #1 most added release at Triple A Radio this week, according to
      Radio & Records Magazine. The song, written by Tommy Sims (Eric
      Clapton's "Change The World"), is the first single from Tedeschi's
      new album 'Wait For Me' set for November 19 release on Tone
      Cool/Artemis Records. Stations throwing their support behind
      Tedeschi this week include WXRT in Chicago, WFUV in New York, WXPN
      in Philadelphia, KFOG in San Francisco, KBCO in Boulder, KMTT in
      Seattle, WXRV and WBOS in Boston and many others. 'Wait For Me' is
      the much anticipated follow-up to Tedeschi's Grammy nominated, gold-
      certified 1998 release 'Just Won't Burn.
      In other news, Susan will play "Stormy Weather 2002" at LA's Wiltern
      Theater on November 13. The concert, produced by Don Henley to
      benefit the Walden Woods Project, will also feature Sheryl Crow,
      Joni Mitchell, Stevie Nicks, Norah Jones, Michelle Branch, Paula
      Cole, Trisha Yearwood, Reba McEntire and Deborah Cox. Stay tuned
      for news on additional Susan Tedeschi tour dates in December and
      beyond.

      Susan Tedeschi:

      Scanning the list of nominees for "Best New Artist" at the 2000
      Grammy Awards, it was easy to spot the wild card: Britney Spears,
      Macy Gray, Kid Rock, Christina Aguilera ... and Susan Tedeschi.
      Susan didn't take home a trophy that night, but her nomination
      grabbed the attention of jaded music industry, and heralded the
      arrival of an artist with genuine staying power. In a sea of one-hit-
      wonders and sophomore slumpers, Tedeschi's nomination stood out as
      something rare and real, "a victory for everyone searching for a
      rock & roll oasis in an arid teen-pop wasteland," as Rolling Stone
      put it.

      Now, four years on from her gold-certified, massively acclaimed Tone-
      Cool debut "Just Won't Burn," Tedeschi cements her reputation as a
      heart-in-the-throat singer, sneaky-sharp guitarist and sweetly
      evocative songstress with the brand new WAIT FOR ME (Tone-
      Cool/Artemis). Co-produced by Tedeschi with the legendary Tom Dowd,
      WAIT FOR ME weaves a thread of blues tradition into a broader sonic
      quilt, incorporating everything from swinging R&B and groovy
      rock'n'roll to plaintive piano balladry and sweaty roadhouse improv.

      "I don't really know how to describe what I do, other than 'American
      roots,'" Tedeschi says. "I think back to the '60s, when Bob Dylan,
      Mahalia Jackson and Muddy Waters would play on the same bill. It's
      all music that comes from the soul."

      The way Tedeschi's pipes manage to get that soul across has earned
      her comparisons to Bonnie Raitt and Janis Joplin, while her musical
      approach puts her in the company of fellow omnivores Lenny Kravitz,
      Sheryl Crow and Willie Nelson (with whom she's toured).

      "Just Won't Burn" was one of the great success stories of the last
      ten years, with word-of-mouth, old-fashioned road miles and radio
      tastemaker support pushing its sales over the 500,000 mark, one
      satisfied listener at a time. "It almost sounds silly," Tedeschi
      says. "I can't believe I sold that many records. I was flattered"

      It's not like she didn't work for it. Tedeschi was born in Norwell,
      MA in 1970, and has played guitar and sang - including several years
      in church choir -- since childhood. She formed her first band at 13,
      and was on the Boston club scene before she finished high school. By
      the mid-'90s, her eponymous blues combo was one of New England's
      biggest draws.

      During that period she was also a student at the Berklee School of
      Music, but the wisdom she took away was more practical than
      artsy. "I think it prepared me for the real world, because they
      don't do anything for you," Tedeschi says. "You have to do
      everything yourself."

      She did, by touring like crazy, releasing her own independent record
      and finally, catching Tone-Cool's ear and making "Just Won't Burn."
      Upon the album's release, the late Timothy White gushed over
      Tedeschi's "passionate, utterly unpretentious approach to music.
      [Tedeschi's] vocals seethe, whoop and roar with enough sensual
      bluster to break the seal on whiskey bottles and tear the leaves
      from trees."

      The whirlwind commenced from there. Tedeschi played Letterman and
      Conan, earned accolades from famous fans like Gwyneth Paltrow,
      Melissa Etheridge and ESPN baseball pundit Peter Gammons, performed
      with Sheryl Crow and the Dixie Chicks at Lilith Fair and, finally,
      shared the spotlight with Britney et al at the Grammys. "I felt
      funny at the ceremony," Tedeschi admits. "It seemed like the most
      amazing musicians were in the audience, not on stage."

      Tedeschi also toured with John Mellencamp and B.B. King, met Bill
      and Hillary Clinton at VH-1's "Concert for the Century" and, after
      reading her name in the same sentences as Raitt for so many years,
      got to be on the same bill as her at Telluride Bluegrass 2001. "We
      were blessed with her presence," Tedeschi says. "She got up and
      sang "Angel From Montgomery" with me. The two of us, I think we were
      almost in tears."

      Another crucial kindred spirit was the Allman Brothers Band. In
      addition to the nightly thrill of opening for them, Tedeschi found
      herself a soulmate. She and guitar prodigy Derek Trucks -- famous
      for his own band as well the Allmans and Phil Lesh and Friends -
      were married in 2001 and had their first child, Charlie, in March
      2002. WAIT FOR ME was recorded in stops and starts around Tedeschi's
      pregnancy, and its lyrical direction reflects her life and love.

      Of course, along with the new family came certain virtuoso fringe
      benefits. Tedeschi hooked up with Dowd, whose resume includes the
      Allmans "Live at the Fillmore" as well as Aretha Franklin, Ray
      Charles, John Coltrane and countless other Hall of Famers, via
      Derek; she also got all four members of the Derek Trucks Band into
      the studio for two transcendent tracks.

      The first, the slinky belter "Gonna Move," is by frequent Raitt
      songwriter Paul Pena; Tedeschi wrote the second one, the Stax-meets-
      Rush Street barroom stomp "The Feeling Music Brings," while on a
      plane ride with her husband to a session in Lousiana. The Derek
      Trucks Band cut an as-yet-unrleased version immediately, and again
      several months later for WAIT FOR ME. Ironically, Tedeschi plays
      lead guitar on the track for Derek's record, while Trucks does the
      honors for hers.

      "I wish I could play guitar the way I hear it in my head, or like I
      sing," Tedeschi says. "There's so much to learn, but I'm trying to
      make my own sound, my own broken way of playing that's unique and
      melodic and has personality."

      Indeed, while her smooth, sometimes wrenching, always tender voice
      may be her finest instrument, Tedeschi is still a double threat. She
      even holds her own against greasy south guitar god Colonel Bruce
      Hampton, who was both the musical engine and spiritual inspiration
      for "Hampmotized." Tedeschi and her bandmates - currently Jason
      Crosby on violin and piano, William Green on Hammond B-3, Jeff Sipe
      on drums and Ron Perry on bass -- jammed it up to fit the Colonel's
      style, then named the track in his honor. "The lyrics are related a
      little bit to him, too" Tedeschi says.

      Other standout songs on WAIT FOR ME include the sultry leadoff cut
      and first single "Alone," which was written by Tommy Sims (Eric
      Clapton's "Change the world"), and the electrifying "I Fell In
      Love," with piano from Chuck Berry collaborator and rock'n'roll
      forefather Johnnie Johnson." More contemplative are the bittersweet,
      Carole King-like "Wrapped in the Arms of Another," the remarkable
      acoustic album-closer "Blues on a Holiday" and a lovely version of
      Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright," which Tedeschi first
      learned to play with her father.

      "I was always really drawn to it," she says. "It's a beautiful song,
      a classic song that people love. I could sing it every night."
      Someday, she'd like to sing with the man himself - Tedeschi has
      opened for Dylan and even sat in with him on guitar. "He asked me
      how I got the tone I got," she recalls. "I thought that was crazy. I
      told him some times I play with my fingers, sometimes a pick, but I
      don't really use any pedals or anything. He was just very cordial.
      It was an honor just to be onstage [with him]. I kept laughing and
      smiling. He was wonderful."

      Tedeschi finds herself smiling a lot these days. "I'm just so happy
      to be playing again," she says. "I love being a mom, I love my
      husband, I love my songs and I just feel very fortunate these days,
      very thankful to all the fans and the people that got behind us and
      supported us. I love doing what I do, so I'm just happy other people
      like it."