Portland ME Tango Technique Series with Jennifer Bratt this Weekend

  • Jennifer Bratt
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7 2:40 PM
      Jennifer Bratt is coming to Portland Maine this weekend, September 10th and
      11th, to present 4 special workshops from her Intensive Tango Technique
      Series. Workshops will be held at:

      MAINE BALLROOM DANCE
      207-773-0002
      614 Congress Street, Portland, ME� 04101
      info@...
      http://www.maineballroomdance.com
      Directions can be found at http://www.portlandyoga.com/maps.html (this is
      the yoga studio upstairs)

      COST:
      $20 for one workshop
      $35 for two workshops
      $65 for both days

      Join us for a weekend of intensive Tango Technique workshops for both
      leaders and followers. Come prepared to work! These classes will present a
      series of challenging exercises designed to improve the technique of dancers
      of all levels. The exercises can also be practiced at home on one's own
      afterwards to continue improving the vital skills of tango. There will be a
      lot of solo work, and some partner work. Lower heels or flats are
      recommended in the classes for women.

      SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 10TH 2005:

      1:00 to 2:30: POSTURE, BALANCE, & THE WALK --
      We will work on how to carry yourself, how to transfer weight effectively,
      how to improve your ability to pivot, how to walk with strength and grace
      (first alone, and then with a partner), and how to look good doing all of
      the above.

      3:00 to 4:30: RHYTHM & CADENCIA IN TANGO --
      In this class we do a number of exercises using 5 basic rhythms that can
      used to dance tango musically, as well as working on hearing and using the
      habanera rhythm in milonga, and dancing different rhythms to the vals
      timing. Expressing musicality in the woman's role will be stressed. We
      will also talk about what is 'cadencia' and how to get it in your dance.

      SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 11TH 2005:

      1:00 TO 2:30: Embellishment Bootcamp --
      Come get whipped into tango shape with a series of exercises and drills for
      the most fashionable and usable embellishments. Improve and test your
      strength, speed and balance! Men are encouraged to attend this one also as
      there will be plenty of exercises for leaders embellishments as well as
      followers.

      3:00 TO 4:30: Perfecting the Boleo --
      In this class we work exclusively on technique for leading and following
      boleos. For leaders we work on timing, impulse and working around your
      partner's axis.� For ladies we work on maintaining a strong vertical axis,
      disassociation, hip rotation, pivoting the supporting foot, and getting a
      clean line.� The different types of leads for boleos will be introduced as
      well as the many different ways of using the free leg during the boleo.